Using Dating Apps In College?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaderGuy

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm in my second year of college, and I have nothing really close to a relationship at all. I've never been in a relationship, and its not because I dont want one, its because I mainly lack any confidence in my social skills (which are admittedly kinda low), though I am pretty confident in the way I look. In high school I only had a couple guy friends and didnt hang out much with people outside of school. Ive had a small reversal in college due to the fact that now the only friends I hang out with (and room with) are two girls. Theres also one other girl I talk to since shes the same major as me and is in two of my classes. Between texting and talking I communicate with her basically every day. But its almost always about school work, and she also has a bf in her hometown. I do feel as if maybe I would be able do something if she didnt have a bf...but thats not the case so theres no use in "what ifs".

So recently I've been thinking about going to dating apps, such as Badoo or Tinder. Does anybody have any experience doing this? I do realize that these apps (especially Tinder) is a basically just a way to find for most college students. Knowing that, I dont know if the type of people I meet on these apps will be anything close to my type. They will probably have more experience than me (seeing as I have none) and may possibly be expecting sex, which I dont want at all (at least for now!). Another concern is that I am not on the same social level as them. I have never been on a date and wouldn't really know what to do. I would probably come off as a little wierd at first lol.

In an attempt to meet someone last year I actually went to a club :p. I really hate dancing and the only reason I went was to get someones number and/or find someone. That was an enormous mistake. I actually did get someones number, but I never texted her back. Those are not the kind of people I want to have a relationship with. I dont want to make the same mistake again.

So does anybody have any advice? Should I try them?

One last thing. If I did try it, is a guy expected to straight up ask to meet with someone the next day after texting, or is it ok to text for a while and see if they like eachother? I want to get to know someone before being expected to meet with them. I feel like this is a rather dumb question.

I feel you man, since I too am simply afraid of talking to women, but I found that talking to female friends can really help you understand how women communicate and it can build up your courage when asking girls out, so take advantage of the fact that you have two female friends and observe their behavior and learn from them. Or, what is better, if you know them well enough why don't tell them your problem and ask for their advice? I'm sure they will be happy to help.

As for your last question, in my opinion yeah, it's better to get to know the girl a little bit before going out with her ;)

One last thing. If I did try it, is a guy expected to straight up ask to meet with someone the next day after texting, or is it ok to text for a while and see if they like eachother? I want to get to know someone before being expected to meet with them. I feel like this is a rather dumb question.

not a dumb question! first, know that your gonna run into a lot of creeps. so just be perceptive. I find guys don't ask to meet you right away and thats good. you'll probably chat for awhile first. I hear you shouldn't chat with someone more then a week without making a plan to meet cuz you don't want to waste your time. I don't know whats true or not because i haven't actually encountered anyone worthwhile online but i'm interested in Tinder as well..mainly cuz i'm a curious and bored person and maybe i'll meet people who can show me around town.

Latest posts

Back