Therapy a little

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonelySutton

Reaction score
I am going to a diet program and it has four 15 minute aspects.
(1) Nutrition, (2) Medical, (3) exercise and (4) emotional support -- ie therapy.

I have been to two of these now and the frank truth, they are totally on to me. I have sort of an extrovert act like "all is well" that works in most interactions where they don't care to look deeper. But, here they are paid to dig. Last week I said something like it is hard when friends want to go out for snacks. I wasn't exactly lying but talking about friends I long had in the past and probably aren't real anyway... and they wanted me to talk about my friends and family support. Um... I changed the subject.

I don't want these people to know about my pathetic lonely life.

I have resisted therapy before and I don't know if it would be a different deal if I chose my therapist but I don't want to open up to these people.

Understandable. You need to be comfortable with that sort of thing. Not just anyone should be allowed to delve into the details of your life because they choose to, therapist or no, especially just for a diet program.

Aisha said:
Understandable. You need to be comfortable with that sort of thing. Not just anyone should be allowed to delve into the details of your life because they choose to, therapist or no, especially just for a diet program.

Actually….

They do this for the purpose of change.

that's the point of therapy. To get to the truth of things, to deal with things that are uncomfortable for the client, and to help enact change.

HoodedMonk said:
Aisha said:

Actually….

They do this for the purpose of change.

that's the point of therapy. To get to the truth of things, to deal with things that are uncomfortable for the client, and to help enact change.

I understand that. I have been through therapy myself. But if I haven't felt comfortable with a therapist, I haven't and it would not be right to disclose everything they asked of me. Therapists are still human, they talk to other people, they have their weaknesses too. I worked for a short while in a psychiatric facility. All I'm saying is patients need to be at ease, and confident in the therapist. The professionals in that area rely more on trust between individuals than any other field. I know a diet program is about change, and therapy includes dealing with uncomfortable truths, but it does not mean you have to force yourself to confide in someone you don't feel comfortable talking to.

Meh. Therapists suck. Have to be careful around them, the bad ones can really mess you up if you start trusting them.

It's standard probing procedure though. Stuff that can be used as leverage in future, since it's presumed most people will either lie or hide. Even the "good" ones will do it or try.

I have no good advice, but if I were in that position and wanted to focus on diet, I'd just give them non-answers if that's possible.

It's possible that they're trying some hard-sell tactics too. I can see why it would happen, anyway.

I think they are good for people who have troubles where they lack insight and have no clue WTF is going on, but i think they are useless to people who understand themselves and have a good idea of reality. Psychoanalysis, insight, reflection, self analysis... those are skills and if you have a therapist who has these skils then you can learn something but if you dont, then its totally useless.

Latest posts

Back