post xmas - increased insecurity?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nondescript

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced increased insecurity/self doubt in interacting with other people now that the "festive" season is over?

Usually I feel this way when facing monday after having spent the entire weekend alone. The consecutive days during the "togetherness" holidays has left me more shaken than usual.

For me it could just be a natural progression from the gradual build up chronic isolation. I'm 34 and have had no close friends since high school. Last year my only two "friends" moved away and got married so I'm literally friendless outside of work.

Hopefully it's just a question of extra recovery needed from the unpleasant last few weeks...

I tend to feel the same way, but it's more of a winding down from actually having a lot of things to do that center around other people. My family is fairly into the holidays so I might visit a couple different houses during Christmas and see my nephews and nieces. Then it's back to a very quiet life which is unsurprisingly a bit of an adjustment.

The 'festive season' meh. My Jewish husband writes out all the xmas cards for our neighbours in the village. I've got a pile of them in the hall (neighbours' cards). If it wasn't for him they'd be unopened this year. I've had a bad year friendship-wise and the seasonal jollity just emphased how out-of-it I am. Funny thing is, I often think about designing xmas cards, as I'm very inspired by winter snow and trees!

For me it's more that Christmas and New Year's just highlight even more how lonely and isolated I feel. It makes the lack of connection with anyone even worse than it is throughout the rest of the year. After Xmas/NY, without anyone to talk with, and go out with, it feels like standing at the bottom of a mountain, knowing you're going to spend the rest of the year trying to climb it, and knowing that, if you reach the top, there will be nothing there (even though you've been told that there 'might be', and that 'you don't know if you don't try it', there just never is) and you will just tumble down the other side, to start it all over again next year .... and repeat this for over 25 years.

Cucuboth said:
For me it's more that Christmas and New Year's just highlight even more how lonely and isolated I feel. It makes the lack of connection with anyone even worse than it is throughout the rest of the year. After Xmas/NY, without anyone to talk with, and go out with, it feels like standing at the bottom of a mountain, knowing you're going to spend the rest of the year trying to climb it, and knowing that, if you reach the top, there will be nothing there (even though you've been told that there 'might be', and that 'you don't know if you don't try it', there just never is) and you will just tumble down the other side, to start it all over again next year .... and repeat this for over 25 years.

Thats an interesting metaphor about the hill.

Recently i've started doing dayhikes with hiking clubs to avoid being alone on saturdays.

Someone on one these hikes told me that its common thing to do a challenge hike (up say kilimanjaro) on new years eve.

you hike up on new years eve and reach the summit on the new years morning - which must be a great view the begin the year.

although I think metaphorically I expect you ignore the fact that the first thing you in the new year is to go downhill :)

I intend to book up a hike for next new years eve/holiday times - it seems a good way to keep busy

Latest posts

Back