Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone feel closer to a higher power due to their loneliness?
Just curious - I will be 43 on Sunday, and really have never felt like I fit in entirely anywhere.  However, my relationship with God is top-notch (in the spiritual, not religious sense).  I think of God constantly, in a free-form, esoteric way.
No not at all the more I experience of the uncaring nature of life the more certain I am of the non existent of a God in the biblical sense but I do believe that there are benign forces in the world that lay no claim to either heaven or hell.

No not at all the more I experience of life the greater my disbelief in any form of biblical God. I do think there are benign forces in the world that lay no claim to heaven or hell and seek no faith bound recognition.

Bugger my tablet needs boosting so often it's really adept at repeditive posts : )
That's sort of my feeling on the matter as well. My loneliness and relative social isolation (mostly due to anxiety and fear) has all the more isolated me from any feelings of God or any other higher power.
Thanks for the input.  It's good to hear from people who are agnostic or atheist.  I certainly don't judge your beliefs, I had a former best friend who was agnostic.

I believe we're hard wired somewhat whether to believe or not.  I can't help but....but then again I've been molded by life differently.

I have read that those who have reason to believe in a higher power tend to be less lonely.  

Certainly though I think one has to be 'molded by life' to such a degree that s/he has faith to do so.  If you don't have faith you can't just start believing.  You need to be sparked by life experience first, almost always.
In relation to my lonliness, my spiritual walk has been up and down. There were many times that I cried out to God in my lonliness. Did it help? Shrugs. Some. What I wanted most of all was just to be held and that has never happened. I've made it through 44 years. I expect I'll keep on going and won't quit, but there have been times that I seriously wanted to.

I was raised in a Christian home and I have had experiences in my life that have clearly shown me that God is real and an active part of my life (although most of the time I do not see His influences.)

Currently, I am not very close to God, but I attribute that to the fact I am not walking in His path.
Why do I make up conversations and scenarios in my head that will never happen in reality...
Yes. I used to be atheist and then agnostic, but now I am a firm believer in god. But because of my severe depression and emotional instability, sometimes I forget about it.
Yes, spending much time alone has brought me closer to certain things and spirituality is one of them.
Quite the opposite, really. As I get older, I have become even less certain of a supreme deity/higher power. I guess the only reason I haven't embraced atheism is an interest in the idea of an afterlife. I'd like to think there's a better place than this one.
I don't think so. When I was a teenager I looked into a variety of religions, but none of them quite fit. Either because of the people who I didn't quite trust and who didn't quite accept me, or the ideology that I felt I would have to comprimise what I deeply felt was true for.

Loneliness has forced me to think much more about myself and my relationship to the world, though. I wish I could find a higher reason for it, but I don't feel there is one.
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
(10-02-2017, 11:33 PM)reynard_muldrake Wrote: Quite the opposite, really. As I get older, I have become even less certain of a supreme deity/higher power. I guess the only reason I haven't embraced atheism is an interest in the idea of an afterlife. I'd like to think there's a better place than this one.

I relate much to this.
Besides which, if I were to find out there was a God after this, he wouldn't be around all that long, because I'd kick his ass. I can't reconcile the idea of God with the concept of non-interference, particularly if it involves children. If we hold the Bible to be factual, he also did not have a problem intervening on a daily basis 2000 or more years ago, so to let the horrors this world has wrought continue unimpede is more than I could ever tolerate. If there is a biblical God, he's clearly evil.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do YOU deal with feelings of loneliness? ojtwtn 33 5,957 07-31-2020, 12:12 AM
Last Post: Finished
  How do you cope with loneliness? bodeilla 3 647 06-14-2020, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Finished
  How many people do you need to not feel lonely? Finished 5 1,315 05-03-2020, 10:33 AM
Last Post: melrose
  Money issues, loneliness and life time depression lovableplatypus 7 1,333 04-24-2020, 04:48 PM
Last Post: Myra
  extreme loneliness triggered my bipolar DJTEEL 0 976 03-25-2020, 06:41 AM
Last Post: DJTEEL
  Inescapable loneliness SilentSoul89 36 7,554 01-11-2020, 08:38 AM
Last Post: SilentSoul89
Sad Loneliness Tritagonist 10 3,339 11-15-2019, 08:42 PM
Last Post: lookatbrightside
  New city, old loneliness HorseLatitudes 4 2,184 11-15-2019, 08:39 PM
Last Post: lookatbrightside
  How do I hide my loneliness? advancedip 9 4,293 11-02-2019, 03:23 AM
Last Post: HorseLatitudes
  Strange loneliness alexandra93 12 3,556 10-31-2019, 11:27 PM