Coworkers platonic relationship

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilly_1607

Reaction score
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]I am 36 years old and have never been married before. I work for a large company.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]A year ago, a man joined our department and seemed to be fond of me in a romantic way. I keep pushing him away because he is 17 years older (53) and has been married twice, ending up with three children.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Besides, he and I are from opposite family backgrounds. I was born and grew up in a large city while he comes from the countryside.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]I wonder what a relationship with him would be like. Can anyone give me advice objectively?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Thank you.[/font]

You never said how YOU feel about him. If age and background difference and the marriages/kids weren't there, how would you feel about him? Would you give him a shot?
I'm not a person that thinks age difference and background differences are a big deal. Yes, he's older, but I know several very happy couples that have an age difference between them. My grandparents were 18 years apart and they were together for over 50 years before my grandfather died.
I say give it a try. It may work out and it may not. You may be better off as friends, but would going out a few times really be so bad?

Well, stranger things have been known to happen.  But his background with relationships may need to be considered as well.  I don't know if there is objectivity in relationship advice.  On one hand, it might be worth a few dates to see, but stand your ground on whatever inner principles you use to guide you.  On the other, there's the 2 prior marriages and kids you would be stepmom to.  I'm not sure how the city/country difference would figure in to it, mostly because I haven't experienced it, so I think I'll not go into that.  Maybe make a pros/cons list of a relationship with him.  Listen to your inner voice, it's often wiser than we give credit for.  Prayers for wisdom and guidance.

lilly_1607 said:
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]I am 36 years old and have never been married before. I work for a large company.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]A year ago, a man joined our department and seemed to be fond of me in a romantic way. I keep pushing him away because he is 17 years older (53) and has been married twice, ending up with three children.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Besides, he and I are from opposite family backgrounds. I was born and grew up in a large city while he comes from the countryside.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]I wonder what a relationship with him would be like. Can anyone give me advice objectively?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Thank you.[/font]

What are you wanting advice on? At you trying to reject him or attract him? 

It sounds like to me you are not interested in him, and that is okay. If he asks you out it's okay to say no.

Either you like him or you don't. If you don't then be straight with him, don't leave any doubt, make it clear and final. Then it's on him if he continues to bother you.

(I feel like this might be my future, minus the experience, desperate man in his 50s too old to date women in their mid 30s.)

Well if in the US, you could send him some yes signals. When he asks you out, go to HR and complain. Then hire an attorney and sue of sexual harassment. You can then take your $millions and more easily find a young man to your liking.  :cool:

Latest posts

Back