anyone tried online dating?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gustafsg

Reaction score
I've tried a few times. Hasn't worked out so well though. I am fine with talking to people online, but when it gets to the point where we might exchange phone numbers or arrange for a date I get scared and cut off all contact. I actually went as far as getting a date with a guy and then actually stood him up and then blocked his number and email. I felt bad, but relieved. I don't even know what I'm afraid of exactly, I guess just the potential awkwardness of meeting in person...but I met someone again online a week ago and have been having some great conversations. I really don't want to mess this up this time, any advice?

gustafsg said:
I've tried a few times. Hasn't worked out so well though. I am fine with talking to people online, but when it gets to the point where we might exchange phone numbers or arrange for a date I get scared and cut off all contact. I actually went as far as getting a date with a guy and then actually stood him up and then blocked his number and email. I felt bad, but relieved. I don't even know what I'm afraid of exactly, I guess just the potential awkwardness of meeting in person...but I met someone again online a week ago and have been having some great conversations. I really don't want to mess this up this time, any advice?

I met my last gf online but it didn't work out so well after a few months. Should have realized earlier she wasn't really my type!
I've had good conversations online but rarely end up talking on the phone...usually I end up losing interest because the girl has nothing interesting to say or doesn't ask any questions about me. =(

I've never tried it but I can get a sense of what you are saying with talking to people online then being nervous/afraid, whatever, to meet them in person. All I can really say is that I have a much easier time talking to people online than I do in person. Is that your fear? That you won't really be the same, talk the same, etc. in person? Or the awkwardness of meeting them in person can be fearful as well. I haven't met people through online dating but I have met people online. I've been quite close to their homes (10-15 minutes in some cases) when I have been traveling and I have even talked to them about meeting. Yet for some reason it never really happens. I've always wondered what it would be like if I had met them though.

I think the only advice I would have to say is that of a typical Dr. Phil show or something: I think you need to just try it out and hope for the best. Maybe communicate with the person and tell them what you've just told us? If this is a decent guy he should totally understand and hopefully let you do it on your terms when you're ready for it. So my advice would be to talk with him about it and express your feelings or just go for it.

i meet my bf online. well the exchanging numbers and so on is not always scary.
it depends on how long you have been talking and so on.

my advice: online dating ....

okay i have never actually online dated ..as we became a couple after meeting and well it was like online friendship. but still my thoughts are this.

-online dating is good.
-just like real life you can be talking to a liar though sooo take your time, try not to give your heart completely to anyone without knowing them ..or at least trying to know them
-remember that you have to trust..and sometimes you'll get lied to and that's not your fault you were not wrong for trusting lol.

okay i'm just preaching now :p
well ya what i think is.. online dating seems great, some pretty kool people use the internetz =)

Met my boyfriend online...we've been together for 4 years and 5 months now. He lives overseas in the UK, I live here in the states. I remember first exchanging numbers and all that. I was little nervous at first, but I was so excited to talk to him, that it counter-acted that. You just have to do this at your own pace. Probably the best advice I have. :)

Thanks Estreen, that's actually great advice!

soo a little update on the situation: we actually met for lunch yesterday, had a good time and are hanging out tonight. I'm way pumped to not be sitting alone in my dorm on a Saturday night!!! I think it's too soon to tell where it's gonna go, if not a relationship then I think it could be a great friendship because we seem to get along pretty well. Thanks again for the kind words everyone!

Latest posts

Back