Kicking the habbit?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWrathof_Jay

Reaction score
im trying to give up dope, i have been smoking for 9 years and it has provided me with an escape for a long time but it cannot go on. has anyone else done this? i also smoke cigarettes and i want to stop that too is it easier to do one before the other? there is no way i can cope with cravings for both so its gonna have to be sequential.
i am probrably quite reliant on both so its not going to be easy so any ideas would be appreciated.
thanx

I still smoke, so grain of salt and all that. It sounds like you're on the right track though, I've heard it's best to remove one vice at a time. I've also heard that taking vitamin supplements can be very helpful. Perhaps devote the money spent on one of these vices towards that instead? Best of luck with everything.

i smoked pot everyday for 8 years. Not sure what my advice would be, if some one offered it to me I might indulge again. For me it was more like a medicine/hobby, i just enjoyed it for the most part. I haven't smoked pot in months and i have no cravings and don't really miss it much or anything. As for cigarettes I still smoke those and don't plan on quitting. I would probably need some hot girl friend nagging on me all the time to do that... as for the pot... stop buying it, finish up whatever you have left plan to enjoy it especially and then just stop buying it. If your social and you have friends that smoke or whatever that can be tough, but if they are good friends they will not smoke around you if you ask them too... I had a friend who wasn't down with smokin' pot and I never smoked around her so...

quit buying pot, and for the cigs, i suggest cutting down. people make the mistake of just "trying" to quit, then they start up again and feel so bad about starting up again they get more stressed and subsequently smoke just as much or more as before...

i'm down to like 3-5 cigs a day due to money constraints so... but you could try that just smoke 2 smokes a day make a pack last 10 days go from there...

Personally i don't beleive in using pills to help you quit, half the time the side effects from those will fresia you up more. If you really want to quit something you will quit, if not, then you arn't ready and that's ok, don't beat yourself up or you'll stress more and use more, just work at it slowly, cut down cut down cut down more untill your confident your ready to quit and it's what you really want to do and you have the strength to do it...

easy anology would be... it's easier to lift a ton of bricks one brick at a time then lifting the whole **** thing.

i smoked weed everyday for about two years and before then on/off.. i stopped smoking almost a year ago now.. no withdrawals, no cravings.. very easy actually.. but then my theory is that mj isn't very pleasurable when you are dealing with complicated and intense emotional issues.. so the break from it has come quite naturally for me and i felt it was needed.. for me..

i never had a negative opinion of the herb and still don't, i know people that smoke it everyday and continue functioning perfectly well ('perfectly' being a subjective assesment of course).. like anything else it is all a matter of what is right for you and in moderation is no different than most mildly harmful substances human beings have been injesting or getting high on since the dawn of time to get a break from 'the routine'

anyway, my opinion is that it is not the drug that is responsible for creating complicated emotional turmoil that you sometimes have to deal with but it can further those complications (as in my case.. for now at least) and it is good to sometimes simplify things.. this may seem like a tangent but i wanted to state that i believe that marijuana doesn't cause negative or adverse states but rather draws them out.. like many other 'recreational' drugs.. they are mood/environment dependant..

that said.. i still smoke cigarettes, i think they are harder to give up than weed because of the thousands of additives that are in them, not to mention nicotine which is very addictive..

so based on my example i would recommend trying to stop marijuana first.. smokes are harder. the way that worked for me (not that it was very hard, as i mentioned) is simple distraction.. if you get an urge, do something.. anything.. physical exercise is pretty good, or have a beer or wine (if you have an inability to drink in moderation this might not be such a good idea though).

good luck.

well cheers guys, i take vitamins already and exercise regularly but weed was always my medicine. the people i spend most of my time do still smoke but im not bothered about the odd toke i just dont want it to be a habbit anymore. cigarettes suck i have previously found rolled cigarettes to be easier to give up than straights even tho im back on straights ^_^ . weed helps me relax and thats what i will miss most. i going to my work christmas party tonight so it will be another weed free night tonight! although it will be an awkward event :-/
weed changes the way you think and perceive things for me it has had a positive effect on my perception of the world and has made me happer about many things, anyone who hasnt smoked it does think differently and probrably struggle to understand the "pot head's" train of thought

What you do is substitue dope for cookies....

The piont is we are not saints and we're willing to grow alone spiritual
lines....

I gave up drinking. I gave up dope. I gave up gambling.
People actaully gose into recovery and turn into fucken nunes...
I ain't giving up...at least not for today.:p
Thats becuase I'm not perfect and I can't fucken walk on water yet...

Ok...I'm just being sarcastic...
There's 12 step programs. Millions upon millions of men/women
had stopped using drugs and alcohol and found a new way
to live. They can share thier experince, strength ansd hope with ya..

When you're ready...you'll get serious.
In other words...when you get sick and tired of being sick and of it..you'll stop,
However you should be honest to yourself and realistic about it.

Ask yourself simple questions...
Do you really, really wanna stop using ???
or you actually just don't wanna deal with the consequence or side effects of getting
high.

it's actaully simple...Mind altering, mood changing substance.
People don't make wise decisions when they're messed up out of thier minds

Addiction is bit deeper than skin deep.
While abstance is the beginning..however there's many other issues
such as living life on life's terms...
it get complicate or people tend to complicated honeysuckle out of a simple living
program...

I joke about smoking myself to death, but I'm actually trying to ween myself off cigarettes by switching to a pipe (the tobacco kind). Instead of smoking cigs all day, I just have one or two pipefuls in the evening.

I suppose it seems silly and somewhat of an anachronism, but then so am I. Collecting pipes, tobacco and pipe tools has sort of turned into an unexpected hobby.

TheWrathof_Jay said:
is it easy to work out the nicotine/ tar content of a pipe? i was just curious

It varies with the tobacco. Some blends are milder than cigarettes and others have enough nicotine to kill a rhino.

Virginias tend to have a higher nicotine content because they're grown in nitrogen rich soil. Latakias and other oriental blends are lower because the soil is less rich.

I guess it's not really "easy" to work out, but it can be done.

12 Step programs revolve themselves around religious pretences. Useing your vulnerability and fragility, taking that and pushing their religious views on you. I would not allow myself to be able to conform with such cult like activities that 12 Step programs offer. My rebelious views on all things religion could not allow for such behaviour.

Lately, I have been useing cannibas as a tool to help with my Spirituality and meditation. My mind is racing a zillion miles a second. Thinking about all things under the sun. Religion, purpose, politics, my children, my divorce, work, and everything inbetween. Constantly stimulating the brain and re-routing nerotransmitters in a more faster and efficient way. But sometime, I need it to slow down. And that is where cannibas comes in. Helps me take a break and slows down the thinking and helping my thoughts become more focused.

Cannibas is there to help reduce stress and make life, just a litle bit more enjoyable. And honestly, for most people, if its not one vice, its another. But it is true, moderation is key, and we are talking about everything that we do, not just certain mind altering plants that occur naturally. But unfortunately. Cannibas has been given a bad rap this last century, making many people believe that it is this very horrible thing.

Lonesome Crow said:
What you do is substitue dope for cookies....

The piont is we are not saints and we're willing to grow alone spiritual
lines....

I gave up drinking. I gave up dope. I gave up gambling.
People actaully gose into recovery and turn into fucken nunes...
I ain't giving up pussy...at least not for today.:p
Thats becuase I'm not perfect and I can't fucken walk on water yet...

Ok...I'm just being sarcastic...
There's 12 step programs. Millions upon millions of men/women
had stopped using drugs and alcohol and found a new way
to live. They can share thier experince, strength ansd hope with ya..

When you're ready...you'll get serious.
In other words...when you get sick and tired of being sick and of it..you'll stop,
However you should be honest to yourself and realistic about it.

Ask yourself simple questions...
Do you really, really wanna stop using ???
or you actually just don't wanna deal with the consequence or side effects of getting
high.

it's actaully simple...Mind altering, mood changing substance.
People don't make wise decisions when they're messed up out of thier minds

Addiction is bit deeper than skin deep.
While abstance is the beginning..however there's many other issues
such as living life on life's terms...
it get complicate or people tend to complicated honeysuckle out of a simple living
program...

i have smoked since but even that is a big reduction. the problem with pot is that it slows ur mind far longer than any high

epileptic said:
12 Step programs revolve themselves around religious pretences. Useing your vulnerability and fragility, taking that and pushing their religious views on you. I would not allow myself to be able to conform with such cult like activities that 12 Step programs offer. My rebelious views on all things religion could not allow for such behaviour.

Lately, I have been useing cannibas as a tool to help with my Spirituality and meditation. My mind is racing a zillion miles a second. Thinking about all things under the sun. Religion, purpose, politics, my children, my divorce, work, and everything inbetween. Constantly stimulating the brain and re-routing nerotransmitters in a more faster and efficient way. But sometime, I need it to slow down. And that is where cannibas comes in. Helps me take a break and slows down the thinking and helping my thoughts become more focused.

Cannibas is there to help reduce stress and make life, just a litle bit more enjoyable. And honestly, for most people, if its not one vice, its another. But it is true, moderation is key, and we are talking about everything that we do, not just certain mind altering plants that occur naturally. But unfortunately. Cannibas has been given a bad rap this last century, making many people believe that it is this very horrible thing.

12 steps program dose note evole around religion.
Do not put out fualts information or your mis conceptions.

First and formost ...you don't have to do anything in 12 steps group.
You don't even have to beliving in God, work the steps, or even
read any of the literature.

Most of the people I know that attend 12 step programs arn't religious.
Most people that attend or work the 12 steps program will tell you straight up..it's not religious.

There's not leaders in 12 steps groups..those are the traditions and guildline...
Of course there's A type personalities or some people that's still into control,manipulations, guilt and shame.
However if you read the literatures instead of shooting from the hips...you'll know straight up to
tell those people to "go to fucken Hell" :p

Errr..why do you think the founding members of AA or the 12 steps , started the 12 steps?
They wanted to stop getting messed up and couldn't do religion...

Any reTarded can figure out moderations is key for anything and everything.

Wtf..weed is weed. Most pople smoke weed to get messed up.
Whatever your reasons or justifications are...are your's.

I nevered said getting high was a bad thing...Heck, I loved getting
high, halusinating and being a space brain...
Errr you're not the only pothead that's rebelious:p
Weed makes me freaken lazy..and I hunger.lmao

If you want to smoke weed...smoke weed.
You don't need my permission or try to justify why you smoke weed.

I have my reasons for stoping getting high.
It was a chioce I made for me.
It's possible to stopped getting high if you want to...
You have to want to. Do it for yourself...just like anything else in life.

That sounds great. Great job :)

Latest posts

Back