10 Books you should read

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mattathyah said:
Lacrecia said:
cumulus.james said:
mattathyah said:
The demonata series -Darren shan
His dark materials
Of mice and men

Of the top of my head XD

You can't be reading 1984 without reading Brave new World.

I have read 1984 and not Brave New World. TBH, I wasn't that impressed with 1984 for some reason.

Of mice and men is my favorite book of all time, short but perfect.
1984 is really good (haven`t finished it yet) but I have to say I didn't enjoy the start of it. I'll let ya all know when I`m done hahaha
Can't wait, lol.

(first the depressing honeysuckle that I seem to love)
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
This Is How You Lose Her
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love
The Bell Jar
Welcome to the NHK

(some sci-fi)
The Forever War
The Foundation Trilogy
Neuromancer

I've read 1984 and Brave New World. If I had to pick the better one, I'd say 1984. The Brave New World plot is kind of crappy.

Mr Seal The Albatros said:
kamya said:
Welcome to the NHK

Oh! I saw a couple of episodes of this. Wasn't the ending a bit less depressing though?

I guess if manga counts, I'll throw in Death Note.

The light novel, the manga, and the anime all have different tones and endings . The light novel is by far the best version to me. You get more into the main character's head and you get to read his thoughts. The characters also just seem more realistic, and you can actually feel their desperation. The manga/anime add a bit to try and make it more cute and fun in some parts. Also the Misaki character is way more messed up in the manga version, and the Yamazaki character is a lot more messed up in the night novel. I think it's honestly a good idea to go through each version if you decide you really like the series.

Here's a link to the light novel version. It's went out of print when Tokyopop went out of business so you probably won't be able to find it many places. The license for it has been reverted back to the original owners so I don't really know if it will ever be sold again in the states. Just keep in mind that it's just a translation so the writing wont seem top notch.

Welcome to the NHK

Lacrecia said:
TBH, I wasn't that impressed with 1984 for some reason.

That book was a bit of a slog for me since the middle section was tantamount to reading a long essay on totalitarianism. But it was still an eye-opener for post-WWII readers, and it does deserve its place among the all-time great works of fiction.

My Ten Books (in no order of preference, and the list changes constantly.)

The Forever War - Joe Haldeman
Neuromancer - William Gibson
Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
His Dark Materials
book series - Philip Pullman
Fatherland - Robert Harris
The Gone-Away World - Nick Harkaway
Contact - Carl Sagan
Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway

Lacrecia said:
The Collector, John Fowles

I didn't realize that was from a book. Could be interesting.

Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky
Harold and the Purple Crayon - Crockett Johnson

Case said:
Lacrecia said:

That book was a bit of a slog for me since the middle section was tantamount to reading a long essay on totalitarianism. But it was still an eye-opener for post-WWII readers, and it does deserve its place among the all-time great works of fiction.

That is true. But now there are so many books such as 1984 that it is no longer catchy for me.

Minus said:
Lacrecia said:
The Collector, John Fowles

I didn't realize that was from a book. Could be interesting.

Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky

You totally should try The Collector.
Crime and Punishment was good but too long. at some point, I lost interest lol

Lacrecia said:
Case said:
Lacrecia said:

That is true. But now there are so many books such as 1984 that it is no longer catchy for me.

Yes but there's something interesting and unique about reading the book that started it all for any genre really...:)

SophiaGrace said:
Lacrecia said:
Case said:
Lacrecia said:

Yes but there's something interesting and unique about reading the book that started it all for any genre really...:)

It has the priviledge of starting a genre maybe, unique? I dont think so.

Lacrecia said:
SophiaGrace said:
Lacrecia said:
Case said:
Lacrecia said:

It has the priviledge of starting a genre maybe, unique? I dont think so.

I usually enjoy reading "the first" of a genre because then I can see where the other books that copy it are coming from. It's the same reason one should learn history.

This is my kind of thread! I am always looking for new books to read. I recently finished the Wool triology by Hugh Howey and it was brilliant. I hear that Ridley Scott bought the rights and is making a movie or series based on them, which will be interesting. It's kind of sci-fi so if anyone is into that, I would definitely recommend it.

Always meant to read 1984, I should pull my finger out and buy it.

No kindle for me, I am old school. I like actual books. My plan is to have a massive library one day with one of those cool sliding ladders!

Minty said:
This is my kind of thread! I am always looking for new books to read. I recently finished the Wool triology by Hugh Howey and it was brilliant. I hear that Ridley Scott bought the rights and is making a movie or series based on them, which will be interesting. It's kind of sci-fi so if anyone is into that, I would definitely recommend it.

Always meant to read 1984, I should pull my finger out and buy it.

No kindle for me, I am old school. I like actual books. My plan is to have a massive library one day with one of those cool sliding ladders!

You can't read 1984 without reading Brave New World. And you really ought to read Neuromancer after those two, but it is optional.

Latest posts

Back