A bad day..

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaguarundi

Reaction score
Last week I went into a tea room in my area, used often by ex pats and which I sometimes stroll to with my dog. I was meeting a lady I had encountered in there before, we had exchanged emails and agreed it might be nice to get to know each other a little better.

I was looking forward to this as it can be hard to make new friends and she seemed the kind of person I might warm to.

I had barely got my pot of tea and started to chat with my new aquaintance, when a man came in with a bull terrier. It took one look at my 13 year old dog, lying by my feet licking some bit of his anatomy, then jumped on him.

It got him by the ear and face, dragged him across the floor. Wouldn't let go.

My poor sweetie was screaming, he was so in pain and shock that he shat on the floor, I slipped in this and hit the deck. I was plastered with dog honeysuckle, and have a hefty bruise on my knee.

The other dog would not let go of him, its owner after a few minutes did prise its jaws open and I was able to calm him. Not before the other owner got bitten.

He seemed quite upset about this, " your dog bit me" he whinged.

Hardly f- ing surprising.

It transpires that although his dog loves people and kids,( !!)it hates other dogs, yet knowing this he goes our with it unmuzzled. He even said that he checked with the local town council to see if it was the law to muzzle a bull terrier. It is not. So he didn't do it.

My little dog ( he weighs 10.5 kilos) had bites through his ear and a horrible hole in his neck. Luckily nothing life threatening. The guy said he would pick up the vet bill, which my vet allowed me not to settle immediately pending this man doing so.

I have since contacted him with the costs and he again said he will pay. Hopefully he means it.

I have often wondered what inspires these idiots to say "my dog wouldn't hurt a fly," and the next thing you know it has ripped some kiddies face off. I never thought I would meet one of these f-wits.

However my dog is OK now, after 2 or 3 days were he had bouts of uncontrollable trembling. He is enjoying bits of sausage and other meat twice a day as he won't take antibiotics (or any other tablets any other way).

And the lady I met was very supportive and I think we will be meeting again, in better circumstances.

The day after this I had a planned procedure to remove a cyst from my finger. So both and my dog and I are on tablets, but I have stitches and he doesn't. Also I have opium in my pain killers, and he doesn't.

The base side of me hopes the other dog owner has bites he wont soon forget. He says he will now muzzle his dog. . . .

To be honest, I think you're being very understanding about the whole thing. If this had happened to me, I'm fairly sure I would have reported this incident to the local police. It's all well and good him apologising after the fact, but this is of little use to you and I'd be worried that he may allow something similar to occur in the future.

If he knew the dog was a danger to other dogs, then it's his responsibility to ensure the dog is never placed in a position where this could occur - and if that means keeping his dog muzzled, then that's what he should have done.

I hope you and the wee dog are feeling better soon!

That other dog should be muzzled.
I am glad that your dog is recovering well and that the lady wants to meet you again-best wishes with how things go with her.

Thank you user 130057, you are a gentleman.

Tiina, also many thanks.

I heard earlier that the vet bill has been paid. I did consider going to the local gendarmes but in my experience they can't be arsed dealing with people who are not french. Especially as the other dog owner was also not french. However I would have done so if the guy had been stroppy with me.

I exercised great self control in not chewing his f-ing ear off, as it could have made a bad situation worse, and as blood was dripping off his hand I did not want any suggestion that my dog had provoked this ( although I had witnesses).

Anyway scruff chops had a bark at someone passing the gate earlier, cadged some leftover mince after dinner and is groaning contentedly on the couch, so I think he is feeling better.

And here he is about a month ago, modelling "cissy dog wear made by besotted owner" . ..

2883xgo.jpg

I'm sorry this happened to you and your poor pup! So glad to know hes doing better. I think that other dog shouldn't be taken in public without the proper equipment.

You rest up your finger and your pup rest up his wounds and the both of you will be better in no time!

what an adorable dog! and what an awful day!
so glad he is safe, and glad that he bit the other owner :p (sorry, that's how I feel)
maybe your appointment didn't go as planned, but for sure this lady won't be able to say that your company isn't interesting.. hope you meet her again soon

Wow, you and your cute dog really did have a bad day, didn't you -
I can't stand irresponsible dog owners, I blame them for the bad behavior of their dogs. Hopefully the man learned a lesson and will contain his dog while in public. I hope you and your pup get well soon! xxxooo

-Teresa

Thank you, Danielle, Peaches and Teresa.

We both feel brighter today, in his case because we had a longer walk today*, and my case cos I got a more slimline dressing and bandage that isn't anchoring 2 of my fingers together, so with a plastic glove on I could wash my hair for the first time since Friday morning!

Happy happy happy...

*( actually the longer walk was pretty good for me as well).

Really sorry about what happened. On a day you was looking forward to as well.

I can't say I like dogs to be honest. I've been attacked twice in the last few months by dangerous looking dogs. I know the owners are really to blame. Our street is just covered in dog honeysuckle as well which is horrible. I've never liked them. When I was a little kid playing football on the fields near where I live, dogs would be a nuisance - running after the ball and busting it or pissing on our coats or chasing after us. And all the fields were covered in mess what the kids would stand in.

But I do understand dogs are great companions for some people.

I hope you and your dog get better soon !

Thanks TB...

....I think... LOL!

Seriously, my dog and my cats make life worth living for me, since Friday I have not had any real face to face convo with anyone until this afternoon. Some weeks it's longer.

Without my dog ... Doesn't bear thinking about.

jaguarundi said:
Thank you, Danielle, Peaches and Teresa.

We both feel brighter today, in his case because we had a longer walk today*, and my case cos I got a more slimline dressing and bandage that isn't anchoring 2 of my fingers together, so with a plastic glove on I could wash my hair for the first time since Friday morning!

Happy happy happy...

*( actually the longer walk was pretty good for me as well).

So was that an image of your damaged finger that you posted on another thread in the general chat section? Looks painful...

user 130057 said:
So was that an image of your damaged finger that you posted on another thread in the general chat section? Looks painful...

It aches. And if I knock it stings somewhat. I was a bit keyed up about having the cyst taken out because it was a local anaesthetic and I was worried I might see them doing it, which I would not have liked...

But they put a screen around me so that was OK, and not only could I not feel my hand, I couldn't even move my hand. It was like a block of varnished wood, yellow varnished wood, cos they painted me from fingertips to elbow in 2 coats of yellow iodine.

And marked my arm with a black cross in felt tip. Which I had a job getting off as it seemed to be indelible.

The sedative they gave me through the canula was worth having though, we ended up having a singsong in the operating theatre. Popeye the sailor man, as I recall. In French, on their side obviously :D

Aww, sorry to hear about the poor puppy - but, glad he is feeling better now. That dude is lucky you don't sue his ass....

Thanks MissG.

He has paid the vet bill and been banned from taking his dog into the cafe, so that'll do. And I get a free coffee and cake next time I go in, so that's today I reckon ** licks lips** :D

jaguarundi said:
Last week I went into a tea room in my area, used often by ex pats and which I sometimes stroll to with my dog. I was meeting a lady I had encountered in there before, we had exchanged emails and agreed it might be nice to get to know each other a little better.

I was looking forward to this as it can be hard to make new friends and she seemed the kind of person I might warm to.

I had barely got my pot of tea and started to chat with my new aquaintance, when a man came in with a bull terrier. It took one look at my 13 year old dog, lying by my feet licking some bit of his anatomy, then jumped on him.

It got him by the ear and face, dragged him across the floor. Wouldn't let go.

My poor sweetie was screaming, he was so in pain and shock that he shat on the floor, I slipped in this and hit the deck. I was plastered with dog honeysuckle, and have a hefty bruise on my knee.

The other dog would not let go of him, its owner after a few minutes did prise its jaws open and I was able to calm him. Not before the other owner got bitten.

He seemed quite upset about this, " your dog bit me" he whinged.

Hardly f- ing surprising.

It transpires that although his dog loves people and kids,( !!)it hates other dogs, yet knowing this he goes our with it unmuzzled. He even said that he checked with the local town council to see if it was the law to muzzle a bull terrier. It is not. So he didn't do it.

My little dog ( he weighs 10.5 kilos) had bites through his ear and a horrible hole in his neck. Luckily nothing life threatening. The guy said he would pick up the vet bill, which my vet allowed me not to settle immediately pending this man doing so.

I have since contacted him with the costs and he again said he will pay. Hopefully he means it.

I have often wondered what inspires these idiots to say "my dog wouldn't hurt a fly," and the next thing you know it has ripped some kiddies face off. I never thought I would meet one of these f-wits.

However my dog is OK now, after 2 or 3 days were he had bouts of uncontrollable trembling. He is enjoying bits of sausage and other meat twice a day as he won't take antibiotics (or any other tablets any other way).

And the lady I met was very supportive and I think we will be meeting again, in better circumstances.

The day after this I had a planned procedure to remove a cyst from my finger. So both and my dog and I are on tablets, but I have stitches and he doesn't. Also I have opium in my pain killers, and he doesn't.

The base side of me hopes the other dog owner has bites he wont soon forget. He says he will now muzzle his dog. . . .

Sorry to hear about your dog, Jag (and yourself) but good to hear he will be okay. If it ever happens again, don't pry the dogs mouth, like that idiot did. Grab the offending dog by the back legs (around its hips) and lift it up like a wheelbarrow and walk backwards, in a circle. The dog should let go, because its balance will be off and by walking in a circle it will have to sidestep and can't turn and bite you. I've actually seen this work.

Next, tell the ******* to take a hold of his dog, hopefully by its leash, and hold firmly while you take your dog and walk away. Again, hope you never have to go through that again, but just in case. Take care.

Thanks for that advice. Hopefully it will never happen again, but will certainly remember this if it does.

I'm not sure that the twat whose dog did this would have listened to such advice, mind you.

Aside from gibbering on about how lovely his dog is with kids (and would anyone really be so stupid as to trust it with kids if it attacks other dogs? ) apparently I have since found out he is well known for arguing with everyone and is viewed by many as a gardenia.

One almost begins to feel sorry for the other dog...

jaguarundi said:
And I get a free coffee and cake next time I go in, so that's today I reckon ** licks lips** :D

Well, any situation that results in free cake can't be all bad!

Latest posts

Back