Are you smiling at me? Or laughing?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hearted

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else struggles with this, i was raised to always look presentable and have carried that on in my adult life, I like to keep to myself on public transportation or shopping, not because i'm aniti-social but more so i know how cruel people can be. But there are times where if i stop looking out the window or stop looking at my phone and look across at someone i see them staring and just smiling at me, I do respond and say "Hello." to them and i do get a hello back but they'l continuously stare with a smile upon their face. It's hard for me to read expressions as keeping eye contact with others. I was consistently bullied as a kid and was beaten up alot by some of the kids as well. I flinch alot when it comes to handshakes and hugs. I'll close my eyes with a hug and so reading genuine expressions is harder.

I feel mocked by people even looking at me, and it's awful to feel that. I just wish i could read expressions without the fear of getting hit.

Can understand this, especially if you grew up being picked on. When groups of people laugh I oftentimes think they are laughing at me when they probably aren't. Have also gotten so paranoid in social situations where I though people would do me physical harm or were collectively against me. It's hard when it 100% feels that way.

It's all a cycle of irrational thinking that has to be worked through. Even if you strongly think they are mocking you chances are that they probably aren't. I always tell myself that.

Hearted said:
I don't know if anyone else struggles with this, i was raised to always look presentable and have carried that on in my adult life, I like to keep to myself on public transportation or shopping, not because i'm aniti-social but more so i know how cruel people can be. But there are times where if i stop looking out the window or stop looking at my phone and look across at someone i see them staring and just smiling at me, I do respond and say "Hello." to them and i do get a hello back but they'l continuously stare with a smile upon their face. It's hard for me to read expressions as keeping eye contact with others. I was consistently bullied as a kid and was beaten up alot by some of the kids as well. I flinch alot when it comes to handshakes and hugs. I'll close my eyes with a hug and so reading genuine expressions is harder.

I feel mocked by people even looking at me, and it's awful to feel that. I just wish i could read expressions without the fear of getting hit.

Yes I know what you mean. I have had this all my life especially when I was a teenager. Random people laughing at me, smirking, smiling, pointing for no reason whatsoever.

Some people are cruel and they have no respect or manners for other people.

I work in retail and when I started it was very tough. People smirking, making offensive comments, starring, doing double takes.

I think I have learned over the years to live with it so I barely notice it now. I look down at the ground most of the time when I walk. And I avoid crowded places such as pubs and buses. And I am probably a bit more confident than I used to be.

I see shy people all the time and I would never smile at them or laugh at them to make fun.

Of course everybody doesn't act like this. Many people smile at me in a genuine way and of course I smile back and say 'hello'

You have just got to ignore the ignorant and arrogant people out there. Don't them ruin your life. You are better than them !

I know what you mean :/ . I wish I had advice, though, I genuinely think most of the time people are gonna be smiling, unless they visibly seem to be chuckling or trying to hide it

Yeah, I have this issue too. I see or hear a few people laughing, I assume it's because of me or some such. Of course, most of the time it isn't, I'm just paranoid about it. I kind of just, try my best not to care, even if it does make me feel bad. Some people are just prats, but there are others who are just, well, happy people.

Like I said, I just ignore it and carry on with my day. I have bigger things to worry about.

I get this sometimes too, honestly and sometimes it's a bit difficult to tell if they're making fun of me or not, especially when they're in groups. I try to just make it look like I don't give a honeysuckle what they're doing or thinking and just smile and go about with my day. Can't be bothered about them, especially if they're making fun of me. I've got better and more important things to deal with.

Try not to let such situations get to you, Hearted. I always tend to give people the benefit of the doubt unless I have a really bad feeling or vibe coming from them or I'd be more careful if I were to work on something with them, then I'd just have to be careful accordingly.

I remember years ago I was on this day trip with my family and on the way home
these 2 lasses just wouldn't stop giggling. I turned around to look at them and their
mothers said 'you better stop because he is looking at you'

So they were laughing at me all the way home. I have no idea why.
But things like that stay with you.

I also remember going to buy these U2 tickets and joining the queue.
It was in 1992. These girls noticed me and started giggling and laughing.
Again I have no idea why.

I must look ridiculous or something.

This mentality was literally beat into you. You may have PTSD. You flinch because your body is expecting to get hit. Your body has muscle memory because of past bullying. Your so much more than your past. You're a grown adult now. People can be cruel but for the most part most people aren't and it takes a lot to get an adult to hit you. I bet you look at the side walk when you walk so you dont make eye contact with people. The people that smile at you on public transportation could be smiling at you because thats just how they are. Or because they might be able to tell you feel broken. Its pretty easy to recognize people that are like ourselves. You blend in with the crowd no one is laughing at you. Its just fear that was programmed into you by bullies and your past.

Latest posts

Back