Are you Theist or Atheist? (Poll)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theist or Atheist

• Theist

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Atheist

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters
I grew up in a very religious home. Back then I had no choice but to be that way. In my late 20's, I started to back away from religion. Most organized religion is evil anyways. They rarely practice what they preach yet they demand that the government should enforce their beliefs on everyone else.

I still have to put up with it when I visit my parents. One of these days I'm going to snap at my mom when she tells me that the solution to my problem finding a date is to just "pray to God about it." If praying worked, then I would have been dating when I was a teenager.
Heck, if praying worked, I would have been dead by the time I was a teen. *laughs*

I'm an athiest, but I still follow some of the traditions of the Orthodox church. But its more for cultural reason and historical reasons.

I'm afraid I will have to close this thread (at least for the moment) until the moderators can discuss this issue.

To clarify for everyone, this is the official policy:

Up for Debate
A forum where arguing is allowed - although personal insults will not be tolerated. All controversial threads should be posted here. Discussion of religion is forbidden.

We had discussed this previously and my recollection (this was about two years ago or better) was that it was to read, "no religious debate is allowed."
Unfortunately, the moderator who added this is no longer here to ask about it.

These kinds of threads used to get out of hand VERY quickly and ended up being offensive to a lot of people.
I was glad to see that THIS thread has not done so. I would like to thank everyone who posted for being courteous to others.

It is the decision of the moderators that this thread will be re-opened.

I feel that there is some misunderstanding about "religious discussion" being banned on the forum, in general. That particular statement is actually located in the "Controversial" section of the forum, under the sub-topic of "Up for Debate." It's actually not a forum-wide policy.

Due to the nature of such threads (more so in the past) we felt it best to NOT allow "debates" about religion, hence forbidding it in the Up for Debate section of the forum.
This thread is under the General section, and so isn't a debate thread. Of course, BECAUSE it's in General and not debate, there is no debating here and so far, this thread hasn't shown any signs of it.

Thank your for your patience while we sorted this out.

blackdot said:
I grew up in a very religious home. Back then I had no choice but to be that way. In my late 20's, I started to back away from religion. Most organized religion is evil anyways. They rarely practice what they preach yet they demand that the government should enforce their beliefs on everyone else.

I still have to put up with it when I visit my parents. One of these days I'm going to snap at my mom when she tells me that the solution to my problem finding a date is to just "pray to God about it." If praying worked, then I would have been dating when I was a teenager.
Heck, if praying worked, I would have been dead by the time I was a teen. *laughs*

That highly depends on where you live and which religion you're talking about.

Also, you'd be very surprised to learn how many of our precious believes - that are today considered to be 'the secular backbone of humanity' - actually have a religious origin. It makes me smile when people claim organised religion never did anyting good to them.

Organised religion has brought us a lot of pain, that is true, but definetly as much good too.

Anyway, I'm gonna shut up now. I have no intention to spark a debate, I just really had to point that out.

Pezza said:
Atheist, but I respect others beliefs.

I don't "respect" many beliefs intellectualy, and I dont pretend to. I "respect" others beliefs in much the same way I "respect" someones belief that their awful taste in clothing or music is good. I just keep my mouth shut, but that doesn't stop me casting judgement.

I like how some people can't comment on a thread without putting their intolerance on display.

I'm a theist, a Jewish one.

EveWasFramed said:
SophiaGrace said:
Atheist & I think this thread should have been kept closed.

:club: Yet you're posting on it? (un)

Exactly.

The speculation was ridiculous to begin with to be honest.

Why is it taboo to debate religion, or infact anything in an intellectual capacity. Are we humans - atleast those intelligent enough to persue such discourse with earnest curiosity so unlike the ideals we paint ourselves in; that we can not even raise the questions that truely matter if we are to take ourselves seriously as self-defined sentient beings of this unfathomable universe?

And what of offence? I'm "offended" by a lot of things in society but not once have I sook to formally silence them. If such things make you uncomfortable, challenge it with vigor or walk away. Don't pretend it didn't happen, most offence is caused by the reveal of a clear falacy in one's prejudice's or previously held convictions. You might just learn somthing.

People who seek to silence such debate are protecting somthing subverse, that much is certain. At the very least, words left unspoken are left to stoke the flames of resent.

Relentless said:
People who seek to silence such debate are protecting somthing subverse, that much is certain.

No. Religious "debate" is banned here because it always leads to FIGHTING. Discussion is one thing, debate can be another. Just to clarify.

EveWasFramed said:
No. Religious "debate" is banned here because it always leads to FIGHTING. Discussion is one thing, debate can be another. Just to clarify.

Sound's pretty vacuous to me.

What is this, a primary school playground?

Relentless said:
EveWasFramed said:

Sound's pretty vacuous to me.

What is this, a primary school playground?

It can be quite similar at times, as far as disputes. Hence the rules.

I will not be discussing my religion.

I have friends who are atheists and Satanists. One of the most interesting discussions I've ever taken part in was with one of my Satanist friends. We discussed all religions, including mine, and hers. I came out of it a lot more informed.

I think there is some truth to all religions, at least somewhat.

But I can understand why religious discussion is banned here. Needless to say, we should respect the moderators.

why is this thread still open? o_O

I find it hypocritical to debate about religion. your belief is your own private choice and should not affect or concern anyone just as anyone's belief does not concern or affect you. Whether it is right or true or not in the eyes of others, that can't stop you from believing, so really what's the point of debating? Unless you're trying to sound smart.

and again, why is this thread still open? (hehe)

Latest posts

Back