Can anyone else relate?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doodlebean8

Reaction score
So, hi everyone, this is my first thread:)
I just wanted to know if anyone else can relate to my current situation?

I'm on a gap year and have unfortunately had to quit all of the jobs I'd taken up due to work orientated anxiety and depression. Due to these bad experiences I now mentally associate working to be a negative thing. Therefore, I feel I am unable to apply for any other jobs as I have so much anxiety regarding working. This leads me to be incredibly lonely as I don't have anything to fill my days with. I do manage to meet up with friends, but most are busy working or scattered across the country at uni, so it's very hard to fit a time for them to be free. Even if I do meet up with them, I get major lows after I come home from being social.
So it's like a vicious circle. Anything regarding work makes me incredibly anxious but being unemployed makes me incredibly lonely.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this:)

I often feel "is this they day I lose my honeysuckle on somebody and get fired "
I think its because I have little patience dealing with stupid and or lazy people

I don't know the exact nature of your work fears but am assuming that you fear criticism if you make mistakes and that maybe you have social difficulties with the people you worked with as well. Could you try voluntary work? You may find it less stressful because, as you are not being paid, you won't be under the same pressure to 'get it right' all the time. They can't criticise so much when you are dong it for free. And this might make you feel less stressed out and more able to relate to the people with you. Also, most people doing voluntary work in the day tend to be elderly and many (but not all) older people are more understanding towards others who may have problems fitting in.

Tiina63 said:
I don't know the exact nature of your work fears but am assuming that you fear criticism if you make mistakes and that maybe you have social difficulties with the people you worked with as well. Could you try voluntary work? You may find it less stressful because, as you are not being paid, you won't be under the same pressure to 'get it right' all the time. They can't criticise so much when you are dong it for free. And this might make you feel less stressed out and more able to relate to the people with you. Also, most people doing voluntary work in the day tend to be elderly and many (but not all) older people are more understanding towards others who may have problems fitting in.

Thank you for your reply:)

My first job, the woman was horrible. She would laugh, scoff and tut at anything I did, all in front of customers. Any time i'd try and make conversation with her, she'd just shut me down. She also used my young age to her advantage and got me to do all the jobs she didn't want to do. My second job, my boss was super patronizing and picky. Didn't help that I worked with her, so had her judging and critiquing me the whole day. This really messed me up mentally, as throughout my day, when I was with friends and family and did something wrong, I was expecting for them to tell me off for doing something wrong. My third job, I was at such a low point that I was becoming agitated with everything and couldn't focus.

I have looked into volunteering. I'm very into animals but unfortunately there isn't an animal sanctuary near me.

BadGuy said:
I often feel "is this they day I lose my honeysuckle on somebody and get fired "
I think its because I have little patience dealing with stupid and or lazy people

I'm glad you haven't lost it yet:)

Doodlebean8 said:
BadGuy said:

I'm glad you haven't lost it yet:)

yet :/

It sounds like you expect work and friends to fill a void, but you shouldn't have that void in the first place if you want to have a healthy work / friend life. You need to developing yourself and be content with being alone. If you can't then you probably need SSRI's.

Menorahman said:
It sounds like you expect work and friends to fill a void, but you shouldn't have that void in the first place if you want to have a healthy work / friend life. You need to developing yourself and be content with being alone. If you can't then you probably need SSRI's.

Thank you for taking the time out to give me advise. Means alot:)

Latest posts

Back