Catcher in the rye

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antifortress

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been reading this book, Catcher in the rye, by J.D. Salinger. I had noticed people talking about it in the news recently after the author's death. Something about the report had caught my eye.

Anyway I started reading it a few days back, this is really an amazing book. I wish I had found it 10 years ago. I kind of relate to how the Holden character is always running away from his problems. I have been doing that for years now.

Has anyone else read it?

-a

Yup. But don't ever buy it from the store. They'll put you in the FBI books watchlist.

Catcher in the Rye is like the #1 book that's found in every serial killer's book collection. True story.

----Steve

I waited years to read Catcher in the Rye when I finally got around to it I was greatly underwhelmed by it. I've found the book very overrated and very dull in places. Maybe because I didn't read it when I was an angst ridden teen I didn't get the full effect of the book.

When J.D. Salinger died I was more shocked that he'd only just died and not been dead for years. It really annoyed me that people were saying it was a great loss to literature and similar stuff. The man wrote one greatly received book and a few others that no one seems to read then becomes a recluse for the rest of his life! Not really a loss. Although I read in a newspaper reporting of his death that now there is a chance that the vast amount of private writing he did during his hermit years could now be published by his family. Which sounds interesting if they do decide to publish his work.

Badjedidude said:
Yup. But don't ever buy it from the store. They'll put you in the FBI books watchlist.

Catcher in the Rye is like the #1 book that's found in every serial killer's book collection. True story.

----Steve

Thats why I started reading it, a few years back. Not much of a serial killer though :(

Lawliet said:
Thats why I started reading it, a few years back. Not much of a serial killer though

Lol just give it some time. ;) We'll see how things are in a year or two. :p

----Steve

Badjedidude said:

----Steve

Well, what if I pay cash for it? They won't know who I am.

To the OP: We read it in high school. It was required. I figured that was still a book everyone had to read in school.

cheaptrickfan said:
We read it in high school. It was required. I figured that was still a book everyone had to read in school.

We read it in middle school. Our teacher gave us badges that said "We Read Banned Books." I still have both (the book and the badge) somewhere.

cheaptrickfan said:
Well, what if I pay cash for it? They won't know who I am.

A field agent, upon learning that a copy of Catcher in the Rye was sold, could visit the bookstore and ask for the store security videotapes. Upon spotting you purchasing the book (with cash, which is suspicious), the agent would then be able to track you down. Maybe you left a fingerprint on the counter? Maybe some dead skin cells sloughed off on the money you gave the clerk? Maybe I watch too many spy/conspiracy thriller movies?

Lol but something tells me that the FBI doesn't waste its time sending agents to check out book purchases unless they're already watching you. ;) lol

cheaptrickfan said:
I figured that was still a book everyone had to read in school.

I didn't have to. Our school library didn't even have it.

----Steve

Badjedidude said:
Maybe I watch too many spy/conspiracy thriller movies?

Ya think? lol

Badjedidude said:
Lol but something tells me that the FBI doesn't waste its time sending agents to check out book purchases unless they're already watching you. ;) lol

Then I'm probably safe. heh

I am probably missing something. But why would this book be banned? Seems like a nice book about a young guy with some issues. He might not be role-model material but then not many 16 year olds are.

I finished the book last night. It was really nice to see that Holden realizes that if not anyone else atleast his sister can give him the human contact that he is looking for. The end felt very abrupt. I don't know whether to interpret it as Holden has recovered or is just keeping his head down letting others think he has.

-a

antifortress said:
But why would this book be banned?

You have to understand that the book was banned quite a while ago (now it isn't banned...but the heritage continues in some places). You've already mentioned why it was banned. Holden isn't a suitable role-model for teens. It's as simple as that, sadly.

Wikipedia: Reasons that Catcher in the Rye has been censored or banned:
(link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Catcher_in_the_Rye)

The challenges generally begin with vulgar language, citing the novel's use of words like "fresia" and "goddamn", with more general reasons including sexual references, blasphemy, undermining of family values and moral codes, Holden's being a poor role model, encouragement of rebellion, and promotion of drinking, smoking, lying, and promiscuity.

40 years ago, when all of this censorship mumbo was going on, all of these things were "shocking" to a "good old, wholesome, family" America.

----Steve

I never did read that book. Originally, it was because I didn't want anybody to blame the book when I turned out to be a serial killer. Then, I kept hearing it was overrated. Then, I just forgot it even existed.

Oscillate_Wildly said:
I waited years to read Catcher in the Rye when I finally got around to it I was greatly underwhelmed by it. I've found the book very overrated and very dull in places. Maybe because I didn't read it when I was an angst ridden teen I didn't get the full effect of the book.

When J.D. Salinger died I was more shocked that he'd only just died and not been dead for years. It really annoyed me that people were saying it was a great loss to literature and similar stuff. The man wrote one greatly received book and a few others that no one seems to read then becomes a recluse for the rest of his life! Not really a loss. Although I read in a newspaper reporting of his death that now there is a chance that the vast amount of private writing he did during his hermit years could now be published by his family. Which sounds interesting if they do decide to publish his work.

it didn't do much for me either. i don't want to say too much to not spoil it for whoever is reading.. i feel similarly about The Outsider, both books seem like they're trying to teach me something.. a bit too much..

i didn't enjoy 'hanging out' with the central character..

mintymint said:
cheaptrickfan said:
We read it in high school. It was required. I figured that was still a book everyone had to read in school.

We read it in middle school. Our teacher gave us badges that said "We Read Banned Books." I still have both (the book and the badge) somewhere.

Lol that's awesome. I think I had to read it too, either in middle school or high school... But of course, I don't remember. Nor, at the time, cared. I'm sure I wouldn't mind reading now.

mintymint said:

That is wicked cool!

Badjedidude said:
The challenges generally begin with vulgar language, citing the novel's use of words like "fresia" and "goddamn", with more general reasons including sexual references, blasphemy, undermining of family values and moral codes, Holden's being a poor role model, encouragement of rebellion, and promotion of drinking, smoking, lying, and promiscuity.

Yup. The moral police out here are similar too, and very happy to jump on board.

nerdygirl said:
Then, I kept hearing it was overrated. Then, I just forgot it even existed.
One thing I make out of this book is that you have to be a tiny bit messed up to enjoy it. The Holden character says it best.

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you’re all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn’t happen much, though.

That nicely sums it up.

-ds

nerdygirl said:
I never did read that book. Originally, it was because I didn't want anybody to blame the book when I turned out to be a serial killer. Then, I kept hearing it was overrated. Then, I just forgot it even existed.

That is why i have never gotten around to reading it either. Except for the serial killer part. Well maybe not forgetting it's existence either. Never mind.

Six Degree's Of Separation with Will Smith focused on the book aswell. The main character was doing his thesis on it, if i remember correctly.

Minus said:
That is why i have never gotten around to reading it either. Except for the serial killer part. Well maybe not forgetting it's existence either. Never mind.
Hahahahaha...

It's okay. I still luff you, even if you aren't a serial killer.

cheaptrickfan said:
mintymint said:

That is wicked cool!

Yeah... we had some good teachers. She was cool and scary at the same time:p

Latest posts

Back