Describe the Boogeyman of your childhood.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zed

Reaction score
The Boogeyman has the magical ability to look completely different to everyone.

When I was little, I imagined him as your average bald-headed 6' Caucasian man, except he was sooty black, and a nudist... the irises of his eyes were gold like a cat's. He also had a perpetually runny nose, because I used to mishear the adults as "BOOGERman"... be good or the Boogerman will get you (and blow snot all over you). I actually felt kind of sorry for him... he was kind of calm and not malicious... he couldn't help looking the way he did, and having really bad rhinitis. Someday I'm going to sew a tiny black bodysuit with gold sequins for eyes and an embroidered red thread smile and put it on a Ken doll, then take some pics and put them on the web.

My aunt (who is prone to hallucinations due to a brain chemistry imbalance) imagined her Boogeyman as a menacing but somewhat incorporeal cloud-like thing... another woman said she imagined him as a rather goofy clown-like guy with a big nose and spindly limbs like a puppet out of a Tim Burton claymation film. And my neighbor says he always imagined the Boogeyman as a guy in a black zentai and a mask like a V for Vendetta mask.

What did you imagine the Boogeyman looked like when you were a kid?

I didn't anticipate him as existent, but my imagination described him as this sloopish 6ft+ tall humanoid monster who had a dark green hue and was made, literally, out of bogies. And the thought entertained me quite thoroughly in imagining this creature covered in children's bogies and feeling quite sorry for him.

EveWasFramed said:

What did you imagine the Boogeyman looked like when you were a kid?

My parents for the most part.

Eve, I was going to answer something of the kind, you beat me to it

Groucho said:
I didn't anticipate him as existent, but my imagination described him as this sloopish 6ft+ tall humanoid monster who had a dark green hue and was made, literally, out of bogies. And the thought entertained me quite thoroughly in imagining this creature covered in children's bogies and feeling quite sorry for him.

Erm... the wheel-and-suspension assemblies that train cars are made with?

Zed said:
Groucho said:

As opposed to a boogie, a type of dance style?

Groucho said:
Zed said:
Groucho said:

As opposed to a boogie, a type of dance style?

Good question... I think when the boogie/disco craze swept the country in the mid-70s, some kids picked up on it and got the idea that the Boogie Man danced and grinned a lot. Suddenly he didn't seem so scary.

as a coerced Catholic, I also had God as a boogieman, even if he sometimes was nice

Jack Nicholson. Has always come to mind when I hear the term "boogeyman". He creeps me out!

Latest posts

Back