Distractions

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ginock

Reaction score
I am unsure of this post belongs here but I could not figure out the best place to put it so please by all means relocate it.

Anyway, the point of the post, about an hour ago I was flicking between watching a film on netflix, watching random videos on youtube and refreshing facebook to find anything of interest or that might distract me but frankly it failed and I was starting to go down hill and not feel depressed as such but more just a feeling of "if I don't do something soon I am going to scream" and so my usual distraction method came into place which for me is listening to some kind if a podcast and cleaning my flat, it is not super organised but it is better than it was.

I find that these almost mindless tasks help, to do something that you don't need to really focus on I find does help me and in the end I can look around and in the knowledge it looks better, feels better and because it is tidy will make my space better.

Do others do something similar or does anyone have any suggestions of immediate distraction techniques that can help?

I find that online, TV, etc just makes me feel more tired. I really enjoy cooking and trying new recipes. It is hands on and I like the challenge of creating and cooking something I have never tried before. I used to be a pretty lame cook but now I am proud of my cooking skills. Still not great, but I feel like I can make up some tasty food. I really enjoy bird watching and feeding the birds. I always have a full feeder and the variety of birds is very enjoyable.

Well that's good that you're trying to keep your mind active enough as a distraction, avoidance coping works in the short term but may not be a great idea in the long term as you simply cannot occupy yourself every minute of every day. But that's not to say you shouldn't continue, on the contrary; you may find something you have passion for. But unfortunately I can't tell you what that is at the moment, maybe you need to try and find bigger things and develop your interests.

Podcast, music, reading.. any sort of hobby would do. Or chores like you mentioned. Something that makes you feel like you're being productive.

I do use podcast and audiobooks A LOT. My library has a gazillion audiobooks to choose from and download. As you know, podcasts abound. I fill my head up. But sometimes I just gotta get OUT of the house. Bookstore with coffee bar in it used to be my goto when I was in the city. Now it's projects and powertools. I listen while I work on stuff.

It's been demonstrated by research that immersing yourself in whatever you happen to be doing at that specific moment helps you keep doing it and reduces awareness of unrelated distresses. I don't know whether it works as a treatment for depression, but it definitely helps to make you feel less bad while you're occupied with whatever you're doing.

For my part, there are distractions that are mental health survival exercises to get me through a crisis.

Then there are self indulgent escapes to avoid responsibilities.

Then there are legitimate logistic obligations like stocking firewood in the winter or mowing the grass in the summer.

And all of these can blend together at times.....

Latest posts

Back