Do you have a hobby or collect anything?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rodent said:
Though I think this goes more in the direction of hoarding than collecting, I tried to keep every single 1, 2 and 5-cent piece I could get my hands on for the past 8 years maybe.

I keep every U.S. 1 cent piece I get from 1982 or before. These are said to actually be worth 2 cents instead of 1, because of the greater content of copper in them than pennies made after 1982 when they became more zinc-based. If you spend the penny, it will still only be worth 1 cent but I am saving them in anticipation of the possibility that the penny will be discontinued, at which point it will become legal to melt them down and sell the raw copper which seems to be increasing in value. If you drop a penny on a hard surface from before 1982 and from after, supposedly they sound different. I thought I heard it once. One pre-'82 penny might not be worth much on its own, but they add up.

I also collect other unusual coins I find, special editions, and just really old ones. I also save any coins I find that were minted prior to 1960. I've even found a couple of pennies from before World War 2. Those I just save because they are so old and I find it neat.

TheSkaFish said:
I keep every U.S. 1 cent piece I get from 1982 or before. These are said to actually be worth 2 cents instead of 1, because of the greater content of copper in them than pennies made after 1982 when they became more zinc-based. If you spend the penny, it will still only be worth 1 cent but I am saving them in anticipation of the possibility that the penny will be discontinued, at which point it will become legal to melt them down and sell the raw copper which seems to be increasing in value. If you drop a penny on a hard surface from before 1982 and from after, supposedly they sound different. I thought I heard it once. One pre-'82 penny might not be worth much on its own, but they add up.

I also collect other unusual coins I find, special editions, and just really old ones. I also save any coins I find that were minted prior to 1960. I've even found a couple of pennies from before World War 2. Those I just save because they are so old and I find it neat.

Sadly, it's no use following that line of thought with Euro cents - neither from a historical nor a materialistic point of view. The oldest ones I got are from 2002 when they were introduced as actual currency. Occasionally one can find coins from 1999-2001 which were printed in advance before public introduction. Still not exactly impressive.

Additionally, the smaller cents are just copper-plated steel. As far as I know, none of these coins' raw material value exceeds their defined value. Not yet at least - but it's not very likely to happen in near future either. And that goes for the bigger ones as well...

But let's give them a few decades. Maybe I'll see them with different eyes than I do now. Even if it's just their non-material value that changes.

I have a lot of DVD's but they're all over the place so it's not really practical enough to take a photo.

I collect stamps. It is considered as one of the popular hobby in the world. Stamps are very rare now because of the new technology. Pictures on the stamps so much to me.

I already posted this elsewhere, but it may as well go here too.

I collect weapons. Mostly swords, but I have/had an assortment of others such as various daggers and staves. I don't collect firearms though, no interest. I'm currently in the market for a longbow, and I would absolutely love to get my hands on a tessen one day. A genuine katana would be amazing, but I doubt I'll ever have that kind of cash to blow.

The current favorite of my collection is a Viking-style sword. I love the lines and simplicity.

Other things I have made collections of over the years include:

scarves, blankets
folding fans
paper journals
chopsticks
haori
candles, lamps, lighters
backpacks
calendars
parasols, umbrellas
feathers
money from around the world
license plates
keychains
stuffed animals
anything Celtic
Magic: The Gathering cards
rock, wood, metal, glass knick-knacks (especially those shaped into animals)
interesting pieces of fabric and rope
interesting cans and jars
interesting words and names
quotes, proverbs, maxims
books, movies, music, pictures
+

When I was a kid I had a rock/geode/gemstone collection, but one day my parents threw them all out.

SteveJackson said:
I collect stamps. It is considered as one of the popular hobby in the world. Stamps are very rare now because of the new technology. Pictures on the stamps so much to me.

I've got some neat Star Wars stamps, and the Post Office here (US) released a Summer Cruising collection last year, with classic muscle cars on it. Wouldn't mind getting that set...I'd gotten a few on envelopes and they looked really neat.

I have many hobbies, almost too many. Main ones are art and music. I love to paint and sketch, play guitar and write stuff. My other hobby is playing around with electronics. I love building guitar amps, effects or just experiment with stuff.
I've been considering getting into my art more for a career. And with it I love to collect stuff, odd and unusual things that I can use to paint from.
I did have a nice collection of guitars once, but I tend to buy then sell them after a while...lol

Latest posts

Back