Do you know another language besides English?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
InSearchOfPeople said:
Russian people are tough and cruel in their nature (may be dictated by hard weather conditions in most parts and a very unsmooth change from communism to capitalism). I don't think I would get any support from Russian people on forums like this one if there are any, because Russians or Russian speaking are the ones who hurt me so much lately.

I am Jewish -- I keep Sabbath and some (not most) laws. None of my posts on Russian or English forums were made on Sabbath. Once I missed one day of Passover.

I do not consider myself American or Russian -- in many ways American society and people are worse then Russian society. USA has the highest incarceration rate in the World.

mmm, I do like several members of Russian people.. I guess we experience different things, don't even get me started about the Dutch ;)
what I am trying to say is that it's unlikely that 22 million people (the netherlands) are ********, but some days I agree with you that it does feel that way

vng2015 said:
InSearchOfPeople said:
Russian people are tough and cruel in their nature (may be dictated by hard weather conditions in most parts and a very unsmooth change from communism to capitalism). I don't think I would get any support from Russian people on forums like this one if there are any, because Russians or Russian speaking are the ones who hurt me so much lately.

I am Jewish -- I keep Sabbath and some (not most) laws. None of my posts on Russian or English forums were made on Sabbath. Once I missed one day of Passover.

I do not consider myself American or Russian -- in many ways American society and people are worse then Russian society. USA has the highest incarceration rate in the World.

I feel like we are talking about different subjects or I don't understand you.

This forum is for lonely people. And I won't be surprised if many of them are foreigners. You know why? Because home you have family, acquaintances, you have a support system.

Here I have to build it from zero. And as logical as it seems for russians to support russians, hispanic supports hispanics, and etc, it is not always the case.
Russian people in general (of course there are exceptions) are often jealous for each other, jealous for someone else's success and feel more happy and accomplished when others fail, because they themselves had bigger dreams when they came to this country and for some reasons were not able to pursue them.
That's what I am dealing with every day living and working among russians. I bought a car- I was hated, I went on vacation- I was hated, I've done some other improvements in my life and achieved anything else - I was hated. Even small thing like enhancing my eye lashes caused a very negative reaction from 95% of people I am associated with.
Besides, russians and russian speaking, they often gossip, they like to hate on someone together, that what UNITES them....unfortunately.

This all is my personal reality as of now. I can debate about things and politics in general, but this is my daily life from the first hands, that what consume most of my time.

^ are you maybe planning to move somewhere else? I had the same feelings for my home country until I left it, now we are ok-ish

InSearchOfPeople said:
That's what I am dealing with every day living and working among russians. I bought a car- I was hated, I went on vacation- I was hated, I've done some other improvements in my life and achieved anything else - I was hated. Even small thing like enhancing my eye lashes caused a very negative reaction from 95% of people I am associated with.

I do not know. It has been over a decade and a half since I had any offline friends...

Everyone here seems like a polyglot compared to me. I only speak my native tongue (Dutch), English and a little bit of French. I don't know if my local dialect counts? most people who don't live in my province tend to have a bad time making out what i'm saying when I talk to them like that.

Peaches said:
^ are you maybe planning to move somewhere else? I had the same feelings for my home country until I left it, now we are ok-ish

I live in the USA. And it was like a roller coaster for me here. I seemed to be the most happy twice in the past while here. First time when as a student living with other students from all over the world. And second time while married to an american man and being associated only with his friends, family and associates. It wasn't perfect, but I can recall some moments of true happiness together.

Now, since I left him, I don't remember when I was happy last time. And besides being a divorced woman, there is another significant change and it is the people that surround me now, they all are russian speaking.

SelfDefenseFamily said:
Everyone here seems like a polyglot compared to me. I only speak my native tongue (Dutch), English and a little bit of French. I don't know if my local dialect counts? most people who don't live in my province tend to have a bad time making out what i'm saying when I talk to them like that.

Are you from Belgium? I see, yes you are.
Yes, I also counted the dialect (I wrote it down as Flemish.)

Yup. I'm multilingual and I know three languages. I'm currently learning the fourth one, which is pretty challenging. I think I am not going to tell what are these languages, I want to keep my secrets. :p

English itself is my second language. I can fluently speak three languages in total, besides 2 others which I'm slowly learning.

I can fluently speak French, though I tend to butcher grammar and stutter a bit when speaking it to someone more used to the language.

Fluent Sylheti and half understand Hindi and Urdu, but can't speak it. If people are having a conversation in Hindi or Urdu, I don't understand all the words, but know what they are talking about.

I learnt French and German at school for five years. I remember very little French, I struggled with the accents and grammar. But I am fairly confident I could follow a conversation in German, maybe read magazine articles.

Latest posts

Back