Does Obesity Add to Your Lonliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodeilla

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is a tough subject for people. I'll start. I'm obese. Forty pounds ago, I couldn't walk for more than 5 minutes at a time. Someone had to grocery shop for me. Well my partner.

I didn't go places. I felt bad. I couldn't fly to see my family unless I bought 2 tickets.

And even though I'm lighter now and things have improved, I still have a long ways to go. I feel lonely because I can't join the hiking club. I used to love to hike. I'm unable to take the photography class because they go on an outdoor trip. If I could do these things then I could meet people.

Sometimes I am self-conscious and feel nervous about my weight. I get down on myself and let that stop me from doing things. But I'm a lot better about it now. I just went to my first meet up last Friday.

If you are obese and feel like it affects you and adds to your loneliness, please reply. I would love to hear from you.

Bo

I am obese.

I've never really thought about how it affects my loneliness.

It affects your entire life, I would think. I know I don't have as much energy.

I'm not obese anymore, but when I was it certainly affected my loneliness. I was 87 pounds heavier at the end of 2010. I couldn't walk to the mailbox without huffing and puffing, hearing my heart beating so heavily and loudly in my ears. I was in great shape my whole life and gained all that and 10 pounds more (which I'm still in the process of shedding) when I took a certain med from 2004 through 2007. It affected my self-esteem, thus affecting my loneliness because I didn't want a man to see me that way - well in reality I didn't want anyone to see me that way. It wasn't just the physical aspect that affected my self esteem, but I'm also a hiker, and I could barely walk with a cane, so that made me feel even worse about myself. Not to mention the health problems that are associated with obesity...all that crippled my confidence. I vowed that I wouldn't make friends or even show a man my body until I reached my fitness goal, I'm nearly there. I'm not so strict at this point but I certainly was up until recently. I think you're on the right track not just health-wise, but for your self-confidence too. Unlike you, I wasn't even willing to make new friends because I felt such shame, so the meet-up idea is a really good one.

I'm overweight, was skinny until my 40's. It seemed like I gained the weight overnight and hard to get rid of. Have problems walking because of arthitis in neck,spine,hips and spina bifida. I wear baggy clothes to compensate my weight problem. I've been depressed ever since my son moved away from home. I really hate being alone. Every day is a chore to get through. The weight is just another barrier to deal with. It's just part of the problem, there is also aging to deal with, poor health, finances, having to be alone all of the time etc.

Latest posts

Back