Does the casualness/lack of modesty in society bother you?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roguewave

Reaction score
Both in dress and mannerisms.

I was running errands this morning and noticed a patron at the bank wearing PJ bottoms. Students often wear PJ bottoms to classes and baggy sweats, torn jeans, etc...*

As for slack manners, no one seems to properly introduce people anymore, or greet each other, or be genuine in any brief exchange, at all. Perhaps people were never genuine and they've simply dropped the act, but that's beside the point.

Does the lack of formality bother you? Do you remember when people use to put on their best manners and outfits on Sundays, to go out to dinner, to go to the airport?

*casual clothing is not the natural result of a low income

It doesn't bother me, but, I do think some that modesty has been tossed to the side for many people and I for one would not dress like some people even if I were younger.

I miss the lack of formality I miss the days when I would dress up to go out to a nice restaurant for dinner. I remember decades ago I use to go to Las Vegas for vacation and everyone was dressed up at night. I cherish the days I would "dress to the nines" and go to the Rainbow Room in NYC have dinner and dance to the big band. (sigh)

I pretty much spend my life in jeans and t-shirts due to the nature of my work and lifestyle- mainly outdoors. The "casual" look I see that makes me shake my head is the jeans worn as low as possible with underwear prominently on display. It boggles the mind why so many people want to emulate a "fad" that started in prison.

Lonely in BC said:
I pretty much spend my life in jeans and t-shirts due to the nature of my work and lifestyle- mainly outdoors. The "casual" look I see that makes me shake my head is the jeans worn as low as possible with underwear prominently on display. It boggles the mind why so many people want to emulate a "fad" that started in prison.

I guess most people don't pay much attention to where fads come from. The prison pants one is funny though!

SophiaGrace said:
Maybe some of those people suffer from depression? idk.

That could definitely be the cause for some individuals, but I'm talking about people as a group getting more casual.

Disclaimer: I’m not a prude, I’m quite liberal but **** do I miss some formalities.

I sometimes look around the office I can’t believe what some colleagues wear to work. Men in shorts and sandals and women in low cut tops (I had to tell one woman to get her boobs out of my face) or short skirts, there is a time and a place for all that but an office is neither one. Not to mention that once the sun comes out folks in town are out topless or in the shortest, tightest bras known to fashion, keep in mind I live in the UK where it never gets that hot anyway.

Likewise on manners, I agree introductions seem to be a thing of the past, politeness and simple courteousness have died out a quiet death and I’m forever sick and tired of seeing people just interrupt others in conversation by speaking over them or worse still pushing their way in front. The problem is that when you show manners to others they tend to take advantage and walk all over you.

Like I said I’m not a prude but I still like wearing a suit to work, I still believe in making eye contact and shaking by the hand, I still want to open doors for strangers or help a mother carry her pushcart down the stairs. No matter how down or tired I’m feeling, there is no excuse for being rude. Perhaps I’m outdated.

I don't take offense at the clothes unless I see gang attire. I don't like it because I don't like the values it represents.

As for wearing pyjamas...it's not major on my list of peeves at all but I think it's really, really, unnattractive and it's embarrassing to see people embarrass themselves looking so ridiculous.

I think casual clothes are fine as long as they don't show too much, and are still put together. Like today I am wearing fitness wear but it's not slovenly.

The casualness with how we treat each other DOES bother me and I look at it as a degradation of society. The lack of tolerance, cursing, lack of consideration and respect in many areas of life are sorely lacking. Also boundaries. We have forgotten that stages in getting to know each other serves a purpose. This "letting it all hang out" attitude I don't think works very well.

But I don't want to go to "formal" days...I would just like our society to value consideration and respect for others more. This applies to so many areas of life...dating, friendship, parking, etc etc.

I don't mind at all. I prefer it this way. Actually I would prefer it if there were even less "standards" to hold myself up to.

I'm pretty casual myself, so I have to say that it doesn't bother me much if at all. I find it somewhat vexing that general courtesy has suffered, and you can hardly get a friendly greeting these days. And Drifter made a good point about people perceiving 'nice' as weakness to exploit and generally abuse readiness to help, like delegating their duties on others.

So the general consensus seems to be that casual clothing is not bothersome to most, but the lack of formality in manners is troubling.

By the way, I just want to be clear that I am talking about the trend towards casualness in society. I'm not meaning to pass judgement on individuals because of the way they dress. I personally, miss older styles of clothing and their modesty and formality and wish that would return but I know that is not going to happen. One thing I've noticed though, is that when I'm wearing more formal clothing my manners follow suit. It's an unconscious thing that I've noticed in others too.

And LostDrifter and I are souls from an era past, it seems.

roguewave said:
And LostDrifter and I are souls from an era past, it seems.

I think we could be. As I write this I’m looking at the wardrobe to my left and wishing I was in a time and place to wear my waistcoat, pocket watch and Trilby hat without having people question me.

I don't care how people look or dress, but I dislike a lack of formality in conversation. I dress casually, but I am always formal in my mannerisms.

Clothes....not really. I think everyone has their own style and I guess as long as it's not dirty clothing or showing too much I don't really mind at all. As for greetings and politeness I do see it but mostly with people who are older than me. I appreciate a hi and how are you but I don't need too much chatter to feel like I was treated fine, especially by someone I don't know. I'm fine with little talking. A HI or smile is seriously enough for me.

Clothing isn't much of a bother for me. I dress casually, that's how I'm comfortable. Like many others though, I have noticed a lack in formalities in regards to conversations and how people generally treat each other. My biggest concern lies with how we treat each other, and how we talk to each other. I noticed that people like to interrupt other often, and shift the conversation to reflect their personal life. I've admittedly done the same also, but I always apologize when I catch myself doing so. Seems that not many people notice how they speak to one another.

I am also perplexed as to where manners and decency went. Walking to school has shown me a lot about people today. There are places where I have to cross in which there is no light to indicate when it is okay for a pedestrian to cross. Thus, this leads me to have to either wait for someone to be kind enough to allow me to pass, or to time things right in order for me be able to cross the street whilst no cars are passing. What really gets me, is that not only do people hardly stop, but some have actually sped up in order to pass me before they would be required to stop to let me cross!

I'm sure life was different a few decades ago. I kind of wish we could have some of those old mannerisms back. Life is only about the individual now.

It bothers me, but then again, what most people do in general bother me period. I dress well and take comfort in that. I also try to be polite and refined, wherever it may be possible and worthwhile.

IgnoredOne said:
It bothers me, but then again, what most people do in general bother me period. I dress well and take comfort in that. I also try to be polite and refined, wherever it may be possible and worthwhile.

Like you I dress well when being out. I feel it's more appropriate, especially in my village where many are retireed and genteel. They always greet me warmly, the village is that sort of place and I feel comfortable there.

I dislike seeing people inappropriately dressed leaving nothing to the imagination. They should be consigned to swimming pools, saunas and the like. The only time I'll tart up is when going clubbing, and that is when I'll look great and feel great, dancing the night away.

Latest posts

Back