Don't Mind If I Do, Really!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Countenance

Reaction score
A few tunes for everyone's listening pleasure. Composed, arranged, and orchestrated by myself. Mixed, mastered, and EQed by a very kind fellow whose talent for audio engineering is unsurpassed, if one were to ask me... We just need to get his name out there XD! And ours alongside XDD!

So, these are a few orchestral pieces by me, both for my group and solo. I use the MASSIVE orchestral sample library made by East West/Quantum Leap, called Symphonic Orchestra (the Gold version). For percussion, I used Cinesamples Drums of War in Kontakt 4, all as VST 2.2 plugins. Every note was drawn, volumed, and expression/dynamics were added as needed in the Steinberg Cubase 5.1.0 sequencer host. Convolution reverb from the included Cubase 5 reverb VST, "Roomworks," was added for lushness, as well as a single-band compressor on the Stereo-Output channel source as an audio plugin-insert. Very meticulous, instrument-specific EQ settings were placed on each individual instrument patch loaded in the project, giving them all THAT rich, crisp, HUGE sound that is so prevalent in the "epic" orchestral music that is most often heard in films, video/computer games, etc. The entire project was mixed down in real time to a .wav file-format frequency of 48000Hz, and a bitrate of 24 -- DVD audio quality (the default normally being 44,100Hz, bitrate of 16 -- CD audio quality). The sound, as a whole, is rather Hi-Def-quality; if it weren't for my audio-engineering friend's "magic touch," so to speak, the mix would still sound like library samples of an orchestra trying to sound like a real orchestra (and being 99% there, mind you; this is East West we're talking about! don't believe me? www.soundsonline.com, and look up Symphonic Orchestra demos!), to...well...a real orchestra! There is little difference after he was done, in my own opinion. Let the music speak for itself as you listen to "Hero's Tale."

Oh, by the way, I might mention that this piece will be played by a live orchestra some time after February 20th, which is when I'll be submitting the score.

Also: if all the tech-talk up there is confusing, just ignore it and listen to the music ^^' It was more a reference for anyone on here who might possibly know about those things and have common interests? Maybe?

Hero's Tale:

http://journeyescapes.bandcamp.com

More music forthcoming as uploads permit. Enjoy!

Here's the next piece I've composed. I really don't know why I put them on two different sites. *shrugs* Meh. Anyway, in this piece, I used the same sequencer, plugins, mastering/EQ/mixdown settings, etc., but also included in this mix was a patch from yet another one of East West/Quantum Leap's freakin' awesome sample libraries: Symphonic Choirs! That particular library is BOMB, because it has a "mini-plugin" called WordBuilder, which you can (obviously) build words from the limitless database of sampled consonants and vowels, then tweak and fine-tune them to your liking so that they sound natural as ever! You've got a choir at your fingertips; beats hiring a live one (at least for now; I don't have the resources to fork over $30/hr./voice! Not to mention many professional choirs are Union...which means higher pay for them...) and is SUPER when the budget is tight.

Anyway, in this piece, entitled, "Fantasy Scrolls Symphony First Movement: Flight of the Dragons," I actually did not use any of the actual Choirs patches, nor WordBuilder, for that matter. It can't be used with the patch I used. Symphonic Choirs comes with three "Soloists:" Soprano, Alto, and Boy Soprano. I wish it had "Tenor" and "Baritone," but you can't always have your cake and eat it, right? Soo, in this piece, I chose the Soprano Soloist, singing on the "ah" vowel with vibrato (expressive-operatic; the name of the actual patch itself is: Solo Soprano Expressive Vibrato).

So yeah, without further adieu, I implore you to listen to this epic-ness! Enjoy!

I just listened to Flight of the Dragons, and really enjoyed it. Good work!
Edit: yob's comma ------------------^

Wow, thats so beautiful!! I could totally get lost in your music. When did you first composing? Have you always wanted to be a composer? Do you have any favorite composers who inspired you?

Naleena said:
Wow, thats so beautiful!! I could totally get lost in your music. When did you first composing? Have you always wanted to be a composer? Do you have any favorite composers who inspired you?

Well, I started composing orchestral music toward the end of 2004. I continued to develop and hone those skills over the subsequent years through personal study and academic education (the latter, I am now fully involved in). In 2008, I was introduced to East West/Quantum Leap's orchestral sample library, Symphonic Orchestra, and fell head-over-heels in love with it! I would choose no other library!

Anyway, on to addressing your next question. I once upon a time aspired (believe it or not) to be the lead guitarist (or shredder, however you look at it) in a thrash metal band. That was in high school, and I'm kind of glad I didn't go that route... What began to change my whole musical perspective was my junior and senior years, in which I explored classical and choral music (sung baritone in the school choir as a result). As far as FILM/SOUNDTRACK/EPIC SYMPHONY music is concerned, however, the turning point was after junior year of '03...that December the final theatrical installment of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy released! The music (Howard Shore) was riveting in its power, even in comparison to the previous two films! All I can say is that by the end credits, there was hardly a dry eye in the house! "Into The West" drove home the message hard, and I will be honest: I hope, so much, that it's by those films (though not exclusively) that my generation is remembered! The music was inspiring enough to make a Symphony, too!

Anyway, I was rambling there. At the beginning of '04, I realized that my future would be centered around two central, important elements. One of those was/is music as a career, as a hobby, as a lifestyle. In '05, I took a music for film/TV class at the local college, and was exposed to music software for likely the first time. I couldn't part from it! I decided that was what I wanted to do. On the other hand, though, I was also good at singing, and have developed that talent as well. The high school choir director pointed me to a classical vocal instructor, and from thence, I became the "roaring bass-baritone" (quoting my brother) that I am now. So yeah, a couple of options there, perhaps they might parallel? Who knows.

Now to your last question, hehehehe. I have a few favorites, but as far as inspiration is concerned, hands-down, it's Howard Shore and his work on Lord of the Rings!

Now, if you're wondering who my influences are...well, they are mostly alluded to Hans Zimmer (Gladiator, Pirates of the Caribbean, Batman Begins/The Dark Knight, Sherlock Holmes, The Da Vinci Code/Angels And Demons...long list, not to mention his works before 2000...), but I also am influenced by Steve Jablonsky (Transformers & Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen), a bit of Danny Elfman (Spiderman 1, 2, & 3, Terminator: Salvation, and a whole slough of others!), and, of course, Mr. Howard Shore (Lord of the Rings Trilogy).

Hope those answered all your questions adequately.

Thanks for your tip, I also like music, hope everyone can happy everyday!
http:*spam fail*

Latest posts

Back