Eating out alone...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuro

Reaction score
Right now I'm eating out alone. I do it quite often, especially when I'm out (I often go out alone). Sometimes I'm ok with eating alone and sometimes not. I can get quite lonely, sometimes even embarrassed, when others are in couples and groups.

Do any of you eat out alone? If so, how do you feel?

I don't eat out often, but most of the times I do, I eat alone too. It's true I can get a bit lonely if nearby is a couple or a group, but I'd say I'm generally ok with it.

I don't eat out all that much because there aren't many vegan options where I live. That said, I almost always have my kids with me, so I'm never really alone. I prefer just to make my own food. That way I don't have to ask a million questions about how food is made and what's in it.
If I had the option and I didn't have my kids as often as I do, I would probably eat out alone and not think anything of it.

There have been people who would go get something to eat in a restaurant and come into the chat room for company. You could always try that if you ever feel bad about being alone while eating out. :)

Yeah, I go to eat out alone most often than not, since no one to spend time with, but to be honest I enjoy it a lot, so used to it already when being lonely for many years and introvert anyway.

I admit feeling really lonely sometimes though, especially if seeing couples eating together or people with their friends as groups etc.

I often do nowadays can be okay or other times can be pretty lonely.

Although i don't think i have eaten out in since last November as i don't really see the point anymore.

I don't eat out much because I don't like doing it alone, but when I do, I usually go to a local diner that's right off the highway, so someone eating alone isn't too out of place. Or I go to a local burger place, where plenty of people working locally go for their lunch hour.

I eat alone about twice a month, typically at places that have bars; I eat at the bar. I find it easier to talk to strangers than to people I know; actually more interested in them, so I wind up asking questions and learning about their lives...sometimes bartenders, sometimes other customers. It's like I'm a variation of myself, more outgoing, slightly less inhibited or worried about what others think. The liquor helps but I don't need to drink much of it. My interest in them almost never lasts longer than the conversation, so it's not like I'm trying to make friends.

If that's not an option, I read stuff on my phone, maybe from my RSS feed, maybe a kindle book.

Whether my entertainment consists of reading or other people, I try to eat slowly; the meal is 3-5x the cost of what a meal at home would cost and almost certainly will taste better, so I want to enjoy it.

I eat out alone a lot. It was difficult to do at first because it felt like everyone was staring at me and maybe thinking that something was wrong with me, but eventually it got easier. Initially I used to read while eating but now I can look around and eat feeling quite at ease.

What helped was observing others around me. I realised there were many other lone patrons and the first thought in my mind wasn't that they were lonely and miserable etc, but that perhaps they just happened to be on their own for that particular time of day or that they were grabbing a bite whilst running errands and it occurred to me that maybe that's what others thought of me as well.

That said, I still have trouble eating dinner alone at nice places where everyone is there as a family or with their partners. I feel too awkward and very rarely do it.

I eat out alone from time to time. Doens't bother me anymore. And, there are times i eat lunch in my car. I like to listen to the radio so if i am running errands and need to grab lunch, i will get it to go and eat in my car and listen to the radio.

I enjoy it. More so than eating with company sometimes. I've never felt embarrassed about it. Take a book, take some music, take a pen, or just take yourself and nothing else. Enjoy the food and the atmosphere and the people around you. Quiet fun.

No, because I'm a cheapskate and I don't like to go out much anyway. Even if it might provide better quality food, it's more of an incentive to improve my own cooking skills instead.

I used to do this but I can no longer take the type of company that seems to want to come my way. I know that sounds snobby but it seems like it can make you a target for many wackos. And I am just too tired to deal with it anymore. It isn't like quality people see you eating alone and decide, hey that person seems nice I am going to make friends.

It is usually the wackos. Again perhaps where I live.

I wonder if anyone would come up with a social app for this. I mean people could sign up for restaurants they wanted to try but didn't want to it alone. Since it would be a public place it would be safer than the typical dating site. There is a social app for people that want to cook in their own home but wouldn't have enough people to eat the meal so they put out what they want to make and people sign up to go to their home and eat dinner with them. That seems like an unsafe thing.

**** you ALL lol
Thought about this thread when I stopped for lunch
looked around the place and people watched

I always done it and never thought of it as something weird, i'am so used to it i see it as something normal. I'am even surprised reading the thread because it is the first time i think about it as being something that could be seen as weird.

I eat out alone quite often. I'm more focused on the divine taste of cheeseburgers than the other customers. lol

Sometimes it seems like I have more meals in my car than anywhere else.
I've gone to places to dine alone, I could care less what people think of me, are thinking when they see me, etc.
I'm a customer when I stop in and have something to eat.
One place I started to visit weekly, now I am considered a 'regular' and I am on a first name basis with some of the employees. A few of the girls chat with me throughout my visit, so even though I am alone, it doesn't bother me.

I eat out alone almost every time I do, since the only people I could bring with me are my mother and grandmother.

I'm not the only one. It's not that big a deal. I can't say I've ever noticed anyone giving me dirty looks, unless I ate out at the wrong place... there are all sorts of informal codes about what you can do in the higher-scale restaurants. Being a pleb, my meals out are usually at a local chinese place or a franchise where people by and large don't give a crap.

Usually the meals out are because I have some reason to be in that area anyway, so it's not like I'm going out of my way.
I like to think I'm a pretty decent cook so if I do go out, it's usually some place where I can eat what is normally not available to me / beyond my skills to cook.

kuro said:
Do any of you eat out alone? If so, how do you feel?

I would love to be able to go out on my own. I don't have a problem eating by myself. Quality time with yourself is good.

I did before, a few years ago.
I did not go to busy places that usually couples or families went. Only once I did...and the waitress was very awkward "Really...table for one?".
I frequented this Vietnamese place.

For anyone that feels awkward...there are good restaurants that don't expect you to have someone. Order your favourite dish, read the paper and relax.
Better yet...learning to cook and chilling on Netflix is a great way to spend time alone.

Latest posts

Back