Favorite piece of 'Classical' music?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayvanCowboy

Reaction score
What's yours? I really do not know if mine is well known around here or not. I remember listening it to the first time during the ending of Japon last semester, and it moved everybody in the room.

Arvo Pärt's Cantus In Memorium Of Benjamin Britten

[youtube]EH3iTtmphq4[/youtube]

I listen to plenty of classical.
For now let say (according to my current affective state) the second part of Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 23

You made me curious about the piece you mentioned and I am gonna listen it tonight.

moonlight sonata and Bourree in e minor by

fur Elise is also pretty nice

I would have to look at it to see but it is a Vivaldi concerto for four violins. My old LP is about worn out so i went through the record stores looking for a new copy. I found better then a dozen different versions of "The Four Seasons" but nothing else. The guy writes over 500 concerti and more then 100 other works and "The Four Seasons" is the only thing they stock in this town.

Does music from films count? If so I love Ennio Morricone's music, especially from For a Few Dollars More.

Otherwise, Mussorgsky's A Night on the Bare Mountain.

Ride of the Valkyries, from Die Walkure by Wagner.

One of my all time favourites has to be the theme from Schindler’s List.

In a completely different way though the first movement of Beethoven’s Pathetique Sonata is another one!

Favourite composer is probably Chopin –

Chopin’s Ballade No 1 in G minor op.23 which appears in The Pianist here-

Edit: Ok video didn't show up, not sure what I did wrong lol. Here's the link instead if you're interested-

Currently it's Alfred Schnittke's Concerto Grosso #1
This is the famous part, but the whole thing is great (although probably a bit abrasive for some):

If you like Arvo Part try Gorecki's 3rd symphony:

symphony #5

or these :p

[youtube]vGNj34GSjs4[/youtube]

[youtube]XNOa5Gjh2lc[/youtube]

[youtube]CXGqHuSBzdE[/youtube]

[youtube]5kFI7lsxUjc[/youtube]

Chopin's Nocturne in E flat major op. 9 No. 2

one of the only pieces that has moved me to tears

It's not technically a "classical" piece, but it's always given me goosebumbs.

"Mars" by Gustav Holst

[youtube]zZWOGcdC_PI[/youtube]

[youtube]S2q-gWMAGjw&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]MP3qwZxm7p4&feature=related[/youtube]

Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings. In the right moment it can bring a tear to my eye.

Toccata and Fugue in D minor.

It ends up on a lot of those "Scary Sounds of Halloween" cds. Always makes me feel like I'm in a haunted house.

Been liking these pieces a lot. Very catchy.

[youtube]P7nIv1sTqx0[/youtube]

[youtube]r6Xo3JBmxg0[/youtube]

[youtube]NSNfkX9Qmp4[/youtube]

[youtube]sY1wNt91EYs[/youtube]

This one I definitely recommend to be listened fully since I am posting a lot of pieces :p
[youtube]S5GhYHHmAjo[/youtube]

I have fallen in love with Niccolo Paganini's work for the past month. Amazing Italian violinist.

[youtube]Xn9iOMGc6U8[/youtube]

nice classical music nerds unite!!
when i think classical, ive been going for chopin as of late so heres
Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2

but favorite classical piece would be mars - bringer of war!

Far too many to pick just one.

Henryk Gorecki's Symphony no. 3 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs) If you can, get the recording with Dawn Upshaw as the soloist.

[youtube]zKk-w_0SpSw[/youtube]

J.S. Bach Goldberg Variations (I like Glenn Gould's renditions)

[youtube]g7LWANJFHEs[/youtube]

Rachmaninoff Vespers - I actually heard this piece performed live in an old cathedral when I was a student in Leningrad (now St. Petersburg), so I got the full benefit of an entire section of real-deal Russian bassi profundi.

In this one you can hear them go down to a solid low-C. Gives me the shivers. :)

[youtube]w3yAlequsRc[/youtube]

Du bist wie eine Blume, by Schumann is a beautiful little song. The words just kill me. It is perfectly beautiful in every respect.

[youtube]C_bZt63v0TE[/youtube]

Dietrich Fiscker-Dieskau singing anything, but especially Schubert, like Des Baches Wiegenlied.

http://www.listeningarts.com/music/art_song/oxy116/Music/20._Des_Baches_Wiegenlied.mp3

My absolute favorite of Schubert's Lieder is Am Meer from the Schwanengesang song cycle, though I don't like any of the variations I've found on Youtube. :/ Get your hands on the cd of Håkan Hagegård singing it and you won't regret it. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Schw...ECDU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248805829&sr=8-1

Edit: Ok, I take it back. This isn't a bad clip, although I prefer a baritone singing it to a tenor.

[youtube]9lt5-0LojAM[/youtube]

Latest posts

Back