Going up to a girl

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dice

Reaction score
Hi, i was originally just going to browse through and try and get some advice , but everyone's situation is slightly different so thought I'd actually ask some advice.

Right, to start, i'm 19, nearly 20 at uni and never had a girlfriend or been kissed, etc etc. It comes down to a lot of things, one i honestly think i became interested in girls later than most, then everyone i liked seemed to have a boyfriend, and then it was fear and lack of know how (which was probably a trend throughout the other problems as well.

Right so now I feel I have the confidence to do something about this. Ultimately I'm looking for a relationship but others say a confidence booster is the best start
(On that I actually do have some great male friends who all want relationships, but I can't admit to them I've never had one so they dont understand the situation I'm in, but they have helped me get some confidence)

Anyway my problem now is a lack of know how. I want try, at a nightclub or something, go up to a girl and... well say something/start something. I'm not one to look for a one night stand, let me say that now, maybe not even looking for a kiss. I just want a starter, set ball rolling and all even if nothing comes from it, i'll take a rejection, but at least i tried and can try again

Any advice? What would i say/do to start a conversation?

Dice said:
Hi, i was originally just going to browse through and try and get some advice , but everyone's situation is slightly different so thought I'd actually ask some advice.

Right, to start, i'm 19, nearly 20 at uni and never had a girlfriend or been kissed, etc etc. It comes down to a lot of things, one i honestly think i became interested in girls later than most, then everyone i liked seemed to have a boyfriend, and then it was fear and lack of know how (which was probably a trend throughout the other problems as well.

Right so now I feel I have the confidence to do something about this. Ultimately I'm looking for a relationship but others say a confidence booster is the best start
(On that I actually do have some great male friends who all want relationships, but I can't admit to them I've never had one so they dont understand the situation I'm in, but they have helped me get some confidence)

Anyway my problem now is a lack of know how. I want try, at a nightclub or something, go up to a girl and... well say something/start something. I'm not one to look for a one night stand, let me say that now, maybe not even looking for a kiss. I just want a starter, set ball rolling and all even if nothing comes from it, i'll take a rejection, but at least i tried and can try again

Any advice? What would i say/do to start a conversation?

Clubs aren't really the best place to start conversations or look for anything else other than one night stand imo. Have you thought about some other less obvious ways of meeting girls at uni, maybe join some societies or something like that at least then you'd have something in common to talk to them about. In terms of going up to girls to start a conversation try commenting on their clothes or hair, if your at student bar you can always just ask them where there from and what course their studying. Also have you tried getting some of your female friends to introduce you to their friends.

It's brilliant to see that you're confident and willing to accept rejection if it happens, that you're willing to just try for trying sake. Not many people have this way of thinking and I think it is great. You only live once an' all that! :)

First of all I really don't think a night club is a good place to meet people; not if you want to build on something with them. The majority of people that speak to me in clubs are horny men/women wanting to go home with someone that night - plus it's so very hard to speak in a club were music is booming. A good way to meet someone to talk to the type of people that go to clubs etc is at the after-parties. I've met a few nice people at parties. It is easy to talk to them then, you've already got one thing in common - you both obviously like some of the same music because you both went to the same night out. You could ask her what she thought of it etc and see were it goes from there.

Otherwise like Expendable said - a student bar might be good - you could talk about what they study/what campus they are staying at/are they in their 1st/2nd/3rd year etc.

Or join a society - colleges & universities have groups/societies so join one you're interested in and you might meet people that way.

Once you get into the flow of just talking to women - and not making it into such a big thing - it will get loads easier. :)

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back