Hi!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldenstar

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first time on here. I'm 44, female and live alone. I have a busy career which I like but it can be stressful. I'm based in the UK. I am single and have no children. I've always had feelings of loneliness but I'm in a real dilemma. I moved for work 18 years ago and live 2.5 hours from my hometown. I see my family regularly but it's hard living alone when you have no family nearby. My mum passed away two years ago. My close family members have gone on to have their own families but we are still v close . I don't know whether to quit my job at the end of the year and go back to hometown. I have great work friends here and there aren't many equivalent jobs near my hometown. If I stay, I could be 50 and still feel like this. If I go, I may be less lonely but I may not have a permanent job. I've paid off my mortgage so am not in debt. Just dont know what to do.

Hi Goldenstar welcome to the forum.

That's a tough decision, I wish I had some advice for you. Maybe talk to your family members about this, maybe they might know about any job openings in the area or may be able to help you if you move.

Good luck with your decision.

Hello Goldenstar. I wish I could give you some advice, though I'm probably not qualified since I too really struggle with loneliness so I can relate to that very well. I ended up moving away from my hometown around 20 years ago, and things haven't been the same for me since then. Of course the real differences are you're older than me and at least have a career. Honestly if it were me I would go back just to try and get rid of the loneliness, because for me nothing feels worse than being alone. So I think you should consider maybe looking for work back in your hometown and then go back if you can, because from the way you talk it sounds like as long as you stay where you are now you may just feel alone for a long time and I'm sure you don't want that. If you need someone to chat with you can message me if you want, if not that's okay. Good luck, I hope you find the best solution to everything.

Greetings Goldenstar! Whatever you choose to do there's probably going to be advantages and disadvantages. And in my opinion, turning 50 isn't that big of a deal......and anyway, for you it's still 6 years away.

A tough decision to make . Personally I would put emotion first , how your feeling and what needs to be done to make you feel better . There may be some financial impact based on what decision you make but in my experience money will never make you happy .

Thanks for your good advice everyone! I think you are also right LostinLimbo, as long as I stay here I will feel like this. I guess I have to accept there are strengths/weaknesses to either decision..I think I will keep looking for a job and see how this year goes...how strongly I feel etc. Nice to have input from other people who are objective

Latest posts

Back