How Can I Overcome Overthinking?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a Halloween party I had to go to where I was anxious about seeing one of my friend's cousins who I hadn't seen in years. The last time I saw her was a really awkward moment for me because this woman was very aloof with me and I didn't know how this party would go. (It's funny that I knew many of the people at this party rather well, but I end up focusing on the one thing that was a question mark.

Anyway, I vented to a friend who told me to stop worrying. I paused and said, "But, uhhh, worrying is kinda my thing. My Grandma gave it to my Mom, and my Mom gave it to me, so it's a family thang. YO!" lol (I didn't actually say that, but it would have sounded... well,... ridiculous. Let's face it.)

But I tried to be cool about it. So, when the party happened, I was able to be really cool with my friend's cousin, I bonded with her for a bit, got her to smile, and I even got a hug from her at the end of the night, so I call that a success.

My brain was still flooded with overthinking B.S., but it wasn't as bad as it could have been, and the party was drama-free and awkwardness-free. I was very happy at the end of it all. Yay me.

That's really a success case! Good to hear!

I tend to overthink everything too. Especially after conversations happened. When I talked to my boss of mostly analyze his tone and I'm afraid that he was maybe angry at me even when it was just a neutral conversation.

Or I overthink how I fail in different situations. Like exams or that new years eve is coming soon and we are going out and I'm afraid that I'm the only girl no one is interested in.

So you see, I definitely haven't found a solution for this. Unfortunately

Yamira said:
That's really a success case! Good to hear!

Thank you. And yes. It was good. And it lasted until my next dose of overthinking. :)

Yamira said:
I tend to overthink everything too. Especially after conversations happened. When I talked to my boss of mostly analyze his tone and I'm afraid that he was maybe angry at me even when it was just a neutral conversation.

Or I overthink how I fail in different situations. Like exams or that new years eve is coming soon and we are going out and I'm afraid that I'm the only girl no one is interested in.

So you see, I definitely haven't found a solution for this. Unfortunately

Sounds like we are both kindred spirits of overthinking. That's okay. If you have any tips, let me know. :) Anyway, I rely on others to look at things and tell me if I'm being ridiculous. Mostly, I know when I'm overthinking, but occasionally I need that impartial help.

So is there a possibility for you to go to another party or dinner or whatever with the same group of people? I mean you liked it the first time, why not trying to repeat it?
Maybe that's my suggestion because I feel really lonely after I had a nice evening out and met some new people and then I'm back home alone.

Yamira said:
So is there a possibility for you to go to another party or dinner or whatever with the same group of people? I mean you liked it the first time, why not trying to repeat it?
Maybe that's my suggestion because I feel really lonely after I had a nice evening out and met some new people and then I'm back home alone.

Oh, I've known the people at that party for nearly ten years, so we will certainly do things in the future. I'll be seeing many of them toward the end of the month. But I haven't been able to meet any new people recently except for online.

Ah yeah sorry, my fault. You mentioned that in one of your posts. Yeah its difficult to meet new people, but I guess we all know that and that's why we are here ;)

Latest posts

Back