I don't know if...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Among the Sleep

Reaction score
I don't know if I want/have always wanted a girlfriend so bad because I really, like, want one, or if a part of me just feels like finally being in a relationship/falling in love would rescue me from my loneliness. Truth is, I don't know what it's like. I hear it's not all it's cracked up to be. Then again, there are a lot of happy couples out there. Maybe I'd make a great boyfriend and it'd be a great thing for me. Or maybe I'd shoot up a post office if I got attached to someone then got dumped.

I mean, I think it'd be a good thing for me. I want that type of affection, I need it in that way. I know I could give it...I want to love someone, I want them to feel loved. I guess it starts with me. If I don't love myself then who's gonna love me? I've never slept in a bed that wasn't empty on the other side. Not sure if I ever will.

yeuch, and I'm so bored of my own suburban melodrama. that's all.

Among the Sleep said:
I guess it starts with me. If I don't love myself then who's gonna love me? I've never slept in a bed that wasn't empty on the other side. Not sure if I ever will.

It really does start with you. When I started to love myself, I found more people actually cared and concerned about me more than ever in my life. It's weird.

saw this quote in a tv show, but im gonna paraphrase it. "people want magical things to happen in their life, but they dont believe there is magic". in a sense.. magic is hard to believe in. but it is possible to create 'magical experiences'. it is up to us to accept those situations as the 'magic'. at the same time, it doesnt mean to settle for the very first thing that happens.

Among the Sleep said:
I don't know if I want/have always wanted a girlfriend so bad because I really, like, want one, or if a part of me just feels like finally being in a relationship/falling in love would rescue me from my loneliness. Truth is, I don't know what it's like. I hear it's not all it's cracked up to be. Then again, there are a lot of happy couples out there. Maybe I'd make a great boyfriend and it'd be a great thing for me. Or maybe I'd shoot up a post office if I got attached to someone then got dumped.

I mean, I think it'd be a good thing for me. I want that type of affection, I need it in that way. I know I could give it...I want to love someone, I want them to feel loved. I guess it starts with me. If I don't love myself then who's gonna love me? I've never slept in a bed that wasn't empty on the other side. Not sure if I ever will.

Ive only had limited experience of 'having a girlfriend' - and I must say I prefer to be single.

Unless you meet a 'gem' then it's not as wonderfull as it appears to be !

Among the Sleep said:

I am 55 years old and depended on men to make me happy all my life. Now I realize that the past 8 years or so since I have been single for the longest time I ever imagined, I have got in touch with who I am and started to like me.

It's great to be in a relationship, but you need to know yourself and not get lost in the person you are in a relationship with and their likes and dislikes. I am now finally finding hobbies and things I like of my own, instead of following those of which the man I was with enjoyed--such as sports, and other things. As a matter of fact, I find I hate some of the things I did with someone else!

You wanna make sure it's the right person otherwise, like someone said..you may just be happier being single.

And it is a risk, but with that you obtain experience and figure things out in what you want in someone and what you don't. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. If I had any advice to give, I'd say never go fast in anything. It should come naturally and mutually.

A girlfriend would not fix your life in the least. Think about it, just because you two are dating, does not mean you're going to be around each other all of the time. Everyone needs 'me' time. Sure there is going to me that moment in the beginning where you two are in lust and can't stand being apart, but later on.....they're going to need their space, just like you will. People need their own hobbies and parts of their life that is theirs and theirs only.

Wanting to be with someone is natural, not to sound condescending.

There are happy couples, as there are unhappy couples. The idea is to be comfortable with yourself, so while you go out there searching for that special other, you're calm and confident.

Latest posts

Back