I have depression and does anyone get depressed when they are not good in job?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonely virgin

Reaction score
So whenever I work a job that’s not sign holder and I don’t excel I get depressed and quit along with used to turn to alcohol but not anymore. I’m only good at sign holder jobs, mascot jobs, and snow shoveling jobs.

Are you unskilled? Uneducated? Unmotivated? Uninterested?
I got a business administration diploma from a two year college diploma at four years with a 3.46 gpa and i finished in four years because i have anxiety since I dropped three courses one of them twice because I thought i was gonna fail all three and get a low gpa but I took summer school and passed all three with a 3.46 gpa. Also anxiety affects me in non sign holder jobs like when I worry about job performance and how competent I am. I worked at warehouses and retail stores from 18 to 27 but lasted two to three months due to anxiety and I don’t have good listening skills in noisy environment. So far I’m only good in sign holder jobs since I’ve gotten email from sign holder jobs saying I have done a wonderful job with sign holder position and I work well. In my current sign holder job managers and owner are saying I’m doing good and invited me to Christmas party. I work as mascot in the summer and they said I did good job and keep inviting me in the summer season. I’ve worked snow shoveling in my neighborhood since I was 10 and I’m good at it. I’m 30 turning 31. I’ve gotten job gaps due to mental illness. I don’t have good motor skills and I can’t count change good.

You certainly have some challenges to overcome. You either learn to overcome them or be stuck in low paying positions that won’t afford you much of a lifestyle I’m afraid, which makes relationships difficult.

You certainly have some challenges to overcome. You either learn to overcome them or be stuck in low paying positions that won’t afford you much of a lifestyle I’m afraid, which makes relationships difficult.
Yep I’m doomed to sign holder jobs making $18 an hour where the minimum wage is $16.59 and mascot jobs in the summer where I make $20 an hour. I been shoveling snow in my neighborhood and make $1000 per season for two houses. I started with one house when I was 10 at $500 and at 18 with two houses.

Have you looked into vocational rehabilitation? I get the impression you want more than snow shoveling/sign holding jobs, which is very understandable, but it also appears you need help on figuring out a career and how to maintain a consistent job performance. They can help you figure out career goals, provide training for job skills, and possibly even job placement.

Have you looked into vocational rehabilitation? I get the impression you want more than snow shoveling/sign holding jobs, which is very understandable, but it also appears you need help on figuring out a career and how to maintain a consistent job performance. They can help you figure out career goals, provide training for job skills, and possibly even job placement.
Thanks I live in Canada and I will look into that. I was originally born in USA but came to Canada at 11.

Thanks I live in Canada and I will look into that. I was originally born in USA but came to Canada at 11.

Ah, I thought you had mentioned in another post that you were in the U.S. Alright, well see if your province offers any similar services. You may be able to get information from any mental health groups in your area.

Yep I’m doomed to sign holder jobs making $18 an hour where the minimum wage is $16.59 and mascot jobs in the summer where I make $20 an hour. I been shoveling snow in my neighborhood and make $1000 per season for two houses. I started with one house when I was 10 at $500 and at 18 with two houses.

I certainly agree with others encouraging you here to pursue a better career path that'll give you more financial security. But until you do, or whether you succeed or not, let me provide a counter Christian perspective to your work situation.

All work that serves mankind and helps society is good, and whether others appreciate, respect or reward us for our jobs, God wants us to do them well. Doing so is in fact a way of loving others, and if done with the right view, is a way to glorify God. We're ALL called to be humble servants to God and others, regardless of social status or professional occupation.

If anxiety continues to limit your better paying job prospects, you may indefinitely suffer financial, standard of living limitations. But, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy your work, take satisfaction being good at it, and know that it's a worthwhile contribution to society. Nor does it mean that you must necessarily be unhappy or dissatisfied with life. There's a whole lot of unhappy wealthy people and a whole lot of happy poor people.

In any case, happiness is temporal and dependent upon circumstances. What's most important is finding a deeper, permanent joy in life, and in my view view, that comes only from one's personal relationships with God and people.

Latest posts

Back