I just want affection... so bad

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sometimes lie in bed and fantasize about just that, simple affection. Sometimes it is enjoyable, sometimes it brings out the heavy misery. I try to avoid it as it is volatile as such. Though any of the hugs I do actually get (familial) mean nothing, feel like nothing to me. At least from the limited past experience, I know non-familial romantic affection is actually pleasant. Not sure why familial stuff I don't care about, does nothing for me.

Among the Sleep said:
Sometimes one sincere hug can change my entire week. I am pathologically lonely. Can anyone relate?

Yes. Although I haven't had a hug since 1996. But often, I feel like it literally hurts to not have that simple affection. To not have a hug, or hold hands. Or even to have a good conversation. Just to feel wanted, even in a friendly way, and have someone not afraid or disgusted to touch me ....

I just want affection... so bad
Sometimes one sincere hug can change my entire week. I am pathologically lonely. Can anyone relate?
writes Among the Sleep

You and about 80% of the forum, I should think. .. For what it's worth, please accept a virtual hug from an old(ish) lady. :)

I do the same. Though I imagine the affection coming from a currently non-existent partner/companion. Sometimes while laying in bed before I fall asleep or just after waking up I find myself wishing/imagining this person was there next to me.

Definitely.
What hurts the most is having that affection so close at hand, and the promise brought by someone special who professed hopes and dreams fulfilled in the near future. In the span of one month, hope has been completely yanked out from under me, and I am in emotional limbo. I feel totally unhuggable now.

I can relate, unfortunately.
The hunger for something, for a touch, for anything, is terrible.

Mr.YellowCat said:
I can relate, unfortunately.
The hunger for something, for a touch, for anything, is terrible.
I've got more wit, a better kiss, a hotter touch, a better fresia.

Among the Sleep said:

I can relate, and I agree. I'd give you a hug, if I didn't get weird about physical touch (I feel like I can't touch or grasp people, like I'm repulsed by it). I can't recall the last time my parents gave me a hug on their own, or for that matter, anyone who didn't have an ulterior motive, with the exception of my half-sister.

I kind feel like this sterile environment no-one wants to touch or something. So yeah, I can relate.

I've never kissed a woman, sure I have been hugged by women (both friends and family) but I want that kind of hug. I guess its difficult to explain but as a writer I'll try anyway:

That one hug you have in which neither you or her want to let go of each other. Once or twice you gaze into each other's eyes but for the most part you just lie/stand there, her head rested against your chest or some honeysuckle.

I don't know. I've never felt that before but I have seen it before. That's what gets me about the desire for affection. Its almost like everywhere I look I see displays of affection...Couples holding hands, kissing, hugging and whispering sweet nothings into each other's ears.

I know it sounds like something from some kind of romance novel but I'm a writer, that's just how I describe things sometimes that and the music I'm currently listening to is making me think in a similar way.

I'm not a hugger but even I can relate. I'm lucky to have a kiddo now who needs lots of hugs but before she came along I remember feeling empty and found myself staring into the darkness on many a lonely night.
Just accidentally brushing hands with a cashier while they gave me change meant something. I even looked into volunteering at a hospital to hold premature babies; it turns out they grow faster and are healthier with more touch. (Plus, I love babies!) Alas, I couldn't because the job was during my regular full time job.

-Teresa

I just read that 10 hugs a day can heal illness, not sure how I am going to get them but for sure I will try to overcome my limits and hug more people, don't care if I become the weird one. After being raised to avoid physical touch and in general to avoid any emotional display, that is quite a challenge that I put to myself.

ABrokenMan said:
Definitely.
What hurts the most is having that affection so close at hand, and the promise brought by someone special who professed hopes and dreams fulfilled in the near future. In the span of one month, hope has been completely yanked out from under me, and I am in emotional limbo.

I swear I was in this exact spot about 9 months ago. Man does it suck :(

Among the Sleep said:

I can definitely relate.

I'm 36 and have never had a girlfriend.

It's never been the lack of a sex life that has hurt me the most.
You can always buy sex if you are so inclined

It's the lack of true affection which has truly eaten away at me.
That's something that money can't buy.

I'm someone who has plenty of affection to give, just nobody to give it to.

Agree with many of you, not having affection (someone that call us, someone to call, to txt, someone that give us little pleasures like a coffee, holding hands, hugging.....) is very hurtful.

Yeah, I'd be ecstatic to have a single person to spend time with offline. Even convincing strangers to sit and have coffee with me for awhile makes my week.

Latest posts

Back