Impending Homelessness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millarca

Reaction score
Are there any housing resources for someone who is 1) without a job and 2) has no income (although I'm expecting unemployment benefits)?

In another thread, I discussed that my relationship has ended, and I have been asked to move out. I have nowhere to go. So I'm trying to find out what options I have, if any.

I've read about shared housing, where maybe an elderly or disabled person offers his/her home in exchange for household chores or general help around the house, but I wouldn't know where to look for that sort of thing?

Any ideas where to look or where to start?

Thank you in advance!

http://hostandcare.com I don't know if this site is any use. It seems to be mostly shortterm, but might do as an interim until you get more sorted out.
Can you claim help with your rent when you do eventually find a place to live?

Thank you, Tiina! That looks like a great resource. I'm going to sign up to see if it can be of any help to me!

My mom might be able to help. My mom has at least $1500 of disposable income every month, but ... help from her always comes with a cost. I've been ridiculed every day since this breakup, because 1) I held on too long this this guy until he HAD to kick me out and 2) I had to come back to her. I almost feel that the money is not worth it. Additionally, she may not help me. She makes it very known that she's tired of me, in general, and tired of helping me. So I'm not sure. If I can land unemployment benefits, that'd be great. If I could get a job, that's even better. Unemployment has paid me about $400.00 a month. My car note, by itself, is $265.00 a month. So I'd prefer to get a job. I'm looking at everything, even jobs that are not fitting for my degree and work experience. I'm doing my very best, so I hope I can put up some rent money, whether that's from my mom, unemployment benefits or a job (my favorite - a job).

Do you live in the US? Most states have programs to help prevent homelessness. The federally funded programs are usually run through the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and local programs through the state's Department of Human Resources. Some states are more generous than others. If you google phone numbers for those agencies, you can call and see if help is available in your area. Applying for food stamps ASAP would also be a good idea.

You could also try a low or no cost housing program like HUD: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/recovery/programs/homelessness

Again, that's assuming you live in the US. I'm not sure what assistance is available in Canada and elsewhere.

If the worst comes to pass and you end up completely homeless, do research on local assistance. Look up info about shelters, food pantries and free clinics and write down locations and numbers. Some churches also have limited help. Sometimes you have to be a member, but there are usually a few that will help anyone. Libraries usually have PC's were you can go online and do research if you ever need to.

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. I'm also sorry your Mother is acting that way. I volunteer at a homeless shelter, and from what I've seen friends and family cannot always be counted on in situations like yours. But hopefully she will help.

If you ever need any help with research, let me know. Take care!

Thank you so much, Locke.

I do live in the U.S., and I have been in contact with HUD.

The fiance and I have decided to try to work things out, and two hours after we made that decision, I got a phone call for a job! I'll start tomorrow. I'm hoping that these options will now, all of a sudden, not be necessary. My fingers are certainly crossed.

I still think it's a good idea to start the process with HUD and other programs because I know some of these programs have long waiting lists or it's an otherwise lengthy process. Plus, I don't know how it's going to work out with the fiance. In some ways, I'd much rather be independent than to rely on the "hospitality" of someone who may or may not want to be with me. So much to think about!

Thank you again.

Latest posts

Back