Is it true that Americans are a lot more sociable with strangers than the British?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgottendanfan

Reaction score
I've heard numerous people claim that it's not uncommon for Americans to start chatting with strangers on public transport, to randomly approach people in places such as supermarkets to try and get a date etc. From what I've observed over the years, this kind of thing isn't at all common here in the U.K. where I live. As a nation, we tend to be quite closed off and cautious towards people we don't know. I guess I'm just wondering if it's the Brits that are excessively reserved, or if it's the Americans that are excessively forward. Apologies for any generalisations I may have made in this topic.

I had a close friend who moved to England for a year. She absolutely loved it, and we're both introverts who aren't as "outgoing/social" as the people in the US - that you seem to be describing. So maybe there is some credence to your statements.

It's an interesting topic to me personally. I always jived well with brits, I prefer their humor.

In the southern parts especially in the smaller cities mostly everyone is pretty personable. Although I have noticed a decline in "southern hospitality" with the younger generation. Im guessing its not just a local thing. People tend to be not as chatty and forward in the larger areas which is to be expected I guess.

I have no problem striking up a conversation with a stranger. I don't ask them out. It's just passing time in line or some other tedious activity. I found the southwest to be very closed off to approach while the northeast is mostly open to it. Sometimes they are eager for contact and enthusiastic for conversation. It depends on where you are.

I think it's more about personally than geography. You might find a chatty someone one day and the next somebody more interested in knocking your block off for disturbing them.

So, yes and no. :D

I would say it depends on the area. Huge places like NYC or LA or the like probably not so much, but the more rural areas/smaller cities, yes, it's pretty natural for everyone to talk to everyone whether you are a stranger or they've known you your whole life. In the really rural areas, pretty much every person will wave as you drive by.

In England/London this is NOT okay. No one talks to each other unless they know each other, especially on public transport (where even friends usually stay silent) and if you do, it’s very weird.
It's not like I spurt random comments. If I notice a common interest I mention something. I find it weird that people would find it weird to have a conversation. I do find the ladies are more likely to continue a conversation than the gents, but that's not to say I've not had stimulating conversation with the men.

Sometimes it's just a comment about their printed tee shirt, or the tabloid at the check out. There was one man buying the same speaker system I had. People turn of the TV and the sound goes away. They might leave it on. It had a habit of overheating if left on with no input. When it over heated it would squeal and screech at full volume. Quite disturbing. But turn it off and let it cool it worked fine again. I mentioned it to him. He replyed with a question. Conversation ensued. Is there something wrong with that?

When I was modelling out in NYC… sooo many Americans randomly came up to me asking me this and that. Got free food from most restaurants simply because of my accent 😂 Gooo USA! out going and welcoming 😇✨
When I was in NYC they kept asking if I was Australian every time I opened my gob?!?!! obviously never seen Eastenders ;)

In the end I started saying I was because I knew I'd get a free beer :LOL:

If you're in bigger cities here, yes, people will just talk to whoever.
That's pretty common, especially with the tourism.
I've met people from all over the world because my small town is about an hour away from Orlando, which, has Disney, and the nearest city is 15 minutes away of a drive.
So, I've met people from Denmark, people from England, people from France, people from Ireland, people from Iran, people from Turkey, people from Uzbekistan, people from Romania, people from Bulgaria, people from Russia, people from China, and people from Japan. Albeit, mostly either in passing or through work or in college classes before I dropped out.

If you're in bigger cities here, yes, people will just talk to whoever.
That's pretty common, especially with the tourism.
I've met people from all over the world because my small town is about an hour away from Orlando, which, has Disney, and the nearest city is 15 minutes away of a drive.
So, I've met people from Denmark, people from England, people from France, people from Ireland, people from Iran, people from Turkey, people from Uzbekistan, people from Romania, people from Bulgaria, people from Russia, people from China, and people from Japan. Albeit, mostly either in passing or through work or in college classes before I dropped out.
Out of all those people, which ones were the friendliest, would you say, out of curiosity ? Japanese people are usually very reserved/quiet/respectful 👍

Out of all those people, which ones were the friendliest, would you say, out of curiosity ? Japanese people are usually very reserved/quiet/respectful 👍

They were all actually really really nice and friendly. 🤷‍♂️
I think that might be because there is a lot of bigotry in the local area of Central Florida :(, and I pretty much was just like "Yo! What's up? Tell me about your world!" And they're like "But, I came her to learn about YOUR world..." and then I'm like: " 🥲(y) That's sweet, but I'm from here and I'm bored."

Where i live people can strike up conversation with a stranger, but that is in the North West of England. My dad will talk to anyone and speak to them for ages, even though he's only known them for a second :ROFLMAO: . But nowadays people are fairly unpredictable and rash so you could get knocked the fresia out over just saying hi or even looking at a person by mistake.

Having been born and raised overseas as an American ex-pat in a British colony (now handed over to China), my experiences lend me to agree with the original premise of this thread. As a general rule, Americans are far more willing to engage in a dialog with people they do not already know than are their more reserved British cousins......just my opinion.

I think it depends on where you go. I've never been to America but I know from experience here in the UK if you were to start chatting to a stranger, some will think you're a weirdo, or just seem uncomfortable. Not everyone is like this of course but I think generally. But if you go out into rural areas like when I go on hikes or walks in and around villages people seen to be a lot more friendly and would happily speak to a stranger.

On another note I remember there used to be a comedy show here called "The Fast Show" that made fun of Americans talking to strangers.. all in good fun of course;

I think it depends on where you go. I've never been to America but I know from experience here in the UK if you were to start chatting to a stranger, some will think you're a weirdo, or just seem uncomfortable. Not everyone is like this of course but I think generally. But if you go out into rural areas like when I go on hikes or walks in and around villages people seen to be a lot more friendly and would happily speak to a stranger.

On another note I remember there used to be a comedy show here called "The Fast Show" that made fun of Americans talking to strangers.. all in good fun of course;

I really did love the Fast Show. Even now i go back to YouTube and find my favourite clips from it:)

Latest posts

Back