Letters from the past

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Letter 20 from Seneca to Lucilius - On Practicing What You Preach (written format)

Greetings from Seneca to Lucilius.

1. It is natural for me to be interested in your activities, progress, and plans, and I always wish for your comfort and happiness. But I am particularly interested now, because I have heard a rumor that you are considering retiring from public life and devoting yourself entirely to philosophy.
  2. If this is true, I am overjoyed and cannot help expressing my delight at the thought of such an action. It is time for you to leave the ranks of those who follow other teachers and join the company of those who have attained wisdom. There is no greater satisfaction in life than being able to say that you have truly lived and spent your life pursuing the truth.
  3. But I must warn you, this path is not an easy one. It requires great effort and sacrifice, and you will face many obstacles. You must be prepared to give up many things that you once thought were important, and you must be willing to face criticism and opposition from those who do not share your views.
  4. Nevertheless, I urge you to persevere in your chosen path. The rewards of the philosophical life are immeasurable. To live according to reason and virtue brings a peace of mind that is beyond the reach of those enslaved by their passions and desires. In the end, it is the only true path to happiness.
  5. I hope that you will take my advice to heart and devote yourself entirely to philosophy. I am convinced that this is the only way to achieve true wisdom and live a fulfilling life. If you ever need my help or advice in your studies, I am always here to assist you in any way that I can.
Farewell, my dear Lucilius, and may the gods bless you in your pursuit of wisdom and virtue.

Seneca

In this letter, Seneca writes to his friend Lucilius and expresses his delight at hearing rumors that Lucilius is considering retiring from public life and devoting himself entirely to philosophy. Seneca encourages Lucilius to pursue the path of philosophy, warning him that it will not be easy, but reminding him that the rewards are immeasurable.

Seneca advises Lucilius to be prepared to give up many things that he has previously regarded as important and to face criticism and opposition from those who do not share his views. He emphasizes that living in accordance with reason and virtue is the only true path to happiness and inner peace.

Seneca concludes by expressing his hope that Lucilius will take his advice to heart and devote himself entirely to philosophy. He assures Lucilius that he is always available to help and advise him in his studies, and wishes him the best in his pursuit of wisdom and virtue.

Moral Letters, Letter 21: On The Renown Which my Writings Will Bring You (written format)

You have asked me whether your writings are going to bring you fame. They certainly will, my dear Lucilius, if you continue to write in the same vein as you have been doing. But this should not be your aim.

If you write well, you will be read; if you write excellently, you will be studied; and if you write ingeniously, you will be admired. But you should not write for the sake of fame, but for the sake of improving yourself and others.

Fame is a fickle mistress, and she does not always reward those who deserve her. But even if you do achieve fame, what will it bring you? It may bring you temporary pleasure, but it will not bring you happiness or peace of mind.

Therefore, do not seek fame, but seek wisdom. Write for the sake of truth and virtue, and let your writing be a reflection of your own character. If your writing is true and virtuous, it will endure long after you are gone, and it will bring you a much greater reward than fame ever could.

Remember, my dear Lucilius, that the true reward of writing is not the applause of the crowd, but the approval of your own conscience. Write what is true and good, and let the chips fall where they may.

Farewell.

In this letter, Seneca advises Lucilius that his writings will bring him fame if he continues to write well, but fame should not be his primary goal. Instead, he should write for the sake of improving himself and others. Seneca warns that fame is fickle and may not bring happiness or peace of mind. Rather than seeking fame, Lucilius should seek wisdom and write for the sake of truth and virtue. If his writing is true and virtuous, it will endure and bring him a much greater reward than fame ever could. The true reward of writing is not the applause of the crowd, but the approval of one's own conscience.

Moral Letters - 22: On the Futility of Half-Way Measures (written form)

Seneca to Lucilius, greetings.

You have asked me why some men make progress in philosophy, while others do not. The reason, my dear Lucilius, is that some men approach philosophy with a half-hearted effort, and therefore make little progress.

They are like travelers who stop halfway on their journey, and then wonder why they do not reach their destination. They start out with enthusiasm, but then become discouraged by the difficulties they encounter, and give up.

But true progress in philosophy requires a full and unwavering commitment. We must be willing to endure hardships, to face our fears, and to confront our weaknesses. We must be willing to make sacrifices and to give up the things that hold us back.

There is no room for half-way measures in philosophy. We cannot be content with a little progress, or satisfied with a mediocre effort. We must give our all, if we are to succeed.

So, my dear Lucilius, if you truly desire to make progress in philosophy, you must approach it with a whole heart. You must be willing to work hard, to study diligently, and to practice what you learn. You must be willing to confront your weaknesses and to overcome them. And you must be willing to sacrifice your own comfort and convenience for the sake of your own improvement.

Remember, my dear Lucilius, that the path of philosophy is not an easy one, but it is a rewarding one. If you approach it with a whole heart, you will find that the journey itself is a reward, and that the destination is all the more sweet for the effort it requires.

Farewell.

In this letter, Seneca explains that some people fail to make progress in philosophy because they approach it with a half-hearted effort. Just like travelers who stop halfway on their journey, they become discouraged and give up when they encounter difficulties. Seneca emphasizes that true progress in philosophy requires a full and unwavering commitment. He advises Lucilius to approach philosophy with a whole heart, to work hard, to study diligently, and to practice what he learns. Seneca warns that there is no room for half-way measures in philosophy, and that we must be willing to endure hardships, to face our fears, and to confront our weaknesses if we are to succeed. He reminds Lucilius that although the path of philosophy is not easy, it is a rewarding journey and a worthy pursuit.

Moral Letters - 23: On the True Joy Which Comes from Philosophy (written format)

Seneca to Lucilius, greetings

You ask me what is the true source of joy in life? It is not wealth, nor is it pleasure or fame. True joy comes from within, from the pursuit of wisdom and the practice of philosophy.

Philosophy is the art of living well, of understanding the world and our place in it. It teaches us to live in harmony with nature, to cultivate virtue and to overcome our vices. It is the key to a happy and fulfilling life.

The pursuit of pleasure, wealth, and fame may bring temporary satisfaction, but it is fleeting and ultimately unsatisfying. The pursuit of wisdom, on the other hand, brings lasting joy and contentment. It is a lifelong journey, but one that is well worth the effort.

To be a philosopher is not to withdraw from the world, but to engage with it more deeply. It is to seek the truth, to cultivate virtue, and to use our knowledge and wisdom for the benefit of ourselves and others.

Do not be discouraged by the challenges that come with the pursuit of philosophy. It is not an easy path, but it is a rewarding one. Remember that the true joy of philosophy comes not from achieving a particular goal, but from the journey itself.

So, my dear Lucilius, embrace the life of a philosopher, and let the pursuit of wisdom and virtue be your guide. It is the path to true joy and contentment.

Farewell.

In this letter, Seneca responds to Lucilius's question about the true source of joy in life. He argues that true joy comes from within, from the pursuit of wisdom and the practice of philosophy. While wealth, pleasure, and fame may bring temporary satisfaction, they are ultimately unsatisfying. The pursuit of wisdom, on the other hand, brings lasting joy and contentment. Philosophy teaches us to live in harmony with nature, to cultivate virtue, and to overcome our vices. Being a philosopher does not mean withdrawing from the world, but engaging with it more deeply and using our knowledge and wisdom for the benefit of ourselves and others. Seneca encourages Lucilius to embrace the life of a philosopher and let the pursuit of wisdom and virtue be his guide.

Moral Letters - 24: On Despising Death (written format)

You ask me why I don't fear death. The reason, my dear Lucilius, is that death is not an evil.

We fear things because we think they are evil, but death is not an evil because it is a natural part of life. We are all going to die, and there is nothing we can do to stop it. So why should we fear it?

Furthermore, death is not something to be feared because it is not something that we will experience. When we die, we will no longer be conscious, and therefore we will not be able to experience any pain or suffering. Death is simply the end of our physical existence.

Therefore, we should not fear death, but rather we should embrace it. Death gives meaning to life, because it reminds us that our time on earth is limited. It encourages us to make the most of our lives and to live each day to the fullest.

Death also allows us to leave behind our troubles and sorrows. When we die, we will no longer have to worry about the problems of this world. We will be free from pain and suffering, and we will be reunited with those who have gone before us.

In short, my dear Lucilius, death is not something to be feared, but rather it is something to be embraced. It is a natural part of life, and it gives meaning to our existence. Therefore, let us not fear death, but let us embrace it and live our lives to the fullest.

Farewell.

Last edited:
In this letter, Seneca explains to Lucilius why he does not fear death. He argues that death is not an evil because it is a natural part of life and we will all experience it. Furthermore, we will not experience any pain or suffering after we die, as we will no longer be conscious. Instead of fearing death, Seneca encourages Lucilius to embrace it, as it gives meaning to life and allows us to leave behind our troubles and sorrows. In summary, death is not something to be feared, but rather it is a natural part of life that we should embrace in order to live our lives to the fullest.

Last edited:

Moral Letters - 25: On Reformation (written format)

You have asked me, my dear Lucilius, how you can reform your character. This is a noble pursuit, and I commend you for it. But let me tell you, it is not an easy task.

Reforming one's character requires self-examination, self-awareness, and self-discipline. It requires acknowledging one's faults and weaknesses, and making a conscious effort to improve oneself. This is not something that can be achieved overnight; it requires a lifetime of effort and dedication.

The first step in reforming your character is to recognize the areas in which you need improvement. This requires honest self-reflection, which can be a painful process. But it is essential if you are to make progress.

Once you have identified the areas in which you need improvement, you must make a plan to address them. This may involve seeking out the advice of others, reading books on the subject, or taking courses to develop new skills.

But ultimately, the key to reformation is self-discipline. You must be willing to hold yourself accountable for your actions, and to make a conscious effort to improve each day. This requires patience, perseverance, and a commitment to excellence.

Remember, my dear Lucilius, that reformation is not an end in itself. It is a means to an end – the end being a life well-lived, a life of virtue and wisdom. Keep this goal in mind as you pursue your own reformation, and let it be your guide in all that you do.

Farewell.

In this letter, Seneca advises Lucilius on how to reform his character, which he acknowledges is a noble pursuit. Seneca emphasizes that reformation requires self-examination, self-awareness, and self-discipline. The first step is to recognize the areas in which improvement is needed, which requires honest self-reflection. After identifying these areas, one must make a plan to address them, which may involve seeking advice, reading, or taking courses. However, the key to reformation is self-discipline, holding oneself accountable for one's actions, and making a conscious effort to improve each day. Seneca reminds Lucilius that reformation is not an end in itself, but a means to the end of a life well-lived, full of virtue and wisdom.

Moral Letters - 26: On Old Age and Death (written format)

You ask me what is the best way to face old age and death. My dear Lucilius, we must face them bravely and with dignity.
Old age is not a disease, but a natural part of life. We should not be ashamed of it, but rather embrace it as a time to reflect on our past and prepare for the future. Old age brings with it many gifts, such as wisdom, experience, and a deeper understanding of life.
We must also face death with courage and acceptance. Death is not something to be feared, but rather a natural part of the cycle of life. We should not mourn the dead, but rather celebrate their life and the memories they leave behind.
We should also remember that our time on this earth is limited, and we must make the most of it. We should live each day as if it were our last, and never take anything for granted. We should pursue our passions and dreams, and live a life that is true to ourselves.
In facing old age and death, we must also remember the Stoic philosophy. We cannot control when we will die, but we can control how we live our lives. We should live in accordance with reason and virtue, and always strive to improve ourselves and the world around us.
In the end, my dear Lucilius, we must remember that life is short, but it is also precious. We must make the most of the time we have, and never forget the beauty and wonder of the world around us.
Farewell.

In this letter, Seneca advises Lucilius on how to face old age and death. He encourages Lucilius to face old age with bravery and dignity, and to embrace it as a time to reflect on the past and prepare for the future. Seneca also suggests that death is a natural part of life and should not be feared, but rather accepted with courage. He encourages Lucilius to live each day as if it were his last, pursue his passions and dreams, and live a life that is true to himself. Seneca also reminds Lucilius of the Stoic philosophy, which emphasizes the importance of living in accordance with reason and virtue, and striving to improve oneself and the world around us. In essence, Seneca encourages Lucilius to make the most of the time he has on this earth, and to never forget the beauty and wonder of the world around him.

Latest posts

Back