Male 'devil effect'

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
VanillaCreme said:
To me, there is no point. There's absolutely no point in studies like this. It's just people wasting time trying to gather statistics that don't matter. Things like average height are, again, too varied. In one country, the average height might be 5'8, and on the other side of the world in some other country, the average might be 6'1. It's just way too varied.
And that's a valid point, I think. Some of these studies really do bring up the question of 'Why?'. Why they're wasting (taxpayer) money to figure out statistics of certain things.

I kind of disagree with you on this one, though. Personally I think this kind of study, to identify the reality of 'the Devil effect', is validation for a lot of people, and gives them a new perspective on how they might be able to deal with their circumstances.
Not only that, but it kind of puts a certain view on society, to question why anyone would even do this at all. As I stated before, it's not attempting to suggest everyone does this, but it does prove (to some extent and in certain cases) that more people do it than people who don't. It identifies evidence that a problem actually exists. And that means something.
Of course, statistics don't really tell us how to solve problems, though. As I said, they just identify the problem. But identifying a problem is always the first step to that.

I also agree with some of the others that this particular study wasn't done very well, either. And, as others suggested, I'd bet there are indeed other studies that have done a better job at proving this point already.

That said, I have seen some really dumb studies done that don't really seem to prove anything. And, like you said, what is even the point of things like knowing the 'average height'? I agree with you there. Just seems like a waste of time. They are nothing but trivia.

Despicable Me said:
Personally I think this kind of study, to identify the reality of 'the Devil effect', is validation for a lot of people, and gives them a new perspective on how they might be able to deal with their circumstances.

Or it just gives them yet another excuse to whine and blame someone else.....

TheRealCallie said:
Despicable Me said:
Personally I think this kind of study, to identify the reality of 'the Devil effect', is validation for a lot of people, and gives them a new perspective on how they might be able to deal with their circumstances.
Sometimes, yeah... but at least then some of them might be whining about something legitimate. :)

Seriously, I know there are people out there who just whine/complain about pretty much everything, but that doesn't mean all whining/complaining is pointless.

I don't really like it when complaints are so quickly disregarded. I have indeed known people like that and you do learn they're just doing it for attention, but I've also met tons of people facing legitimate problems who are often disregarded for their complaints just because the other type of people exist. It makes me kind of sad sometimes.

So I hope no one here just disregards complaints just because there are 'some people' in the world who abuse it.
There's 'some people' in the world who abuse practically anything and everything, but that doesn't make everything in the world a bad idea. If it did then we'd all have plenty of things to complain about. :)

Despicable Me said:
TheRealCallie said:
Despicable Me said:
Sometimes, yeah... but at least then some of them might be whining about something legitimate. :)

Seriously, I know there are people out there who just whine/complain about pretty much everything, but that doesn't mean all whining/complaining is pointless.

I don't really like it when complaints are so quickly disregarded. I have indeed known people like that and you do learn they're just doing it for attention, but I've also met tons of people facing legitimate problems who are often disregarded for their complaints just because the other type of people exist. It makes me kind of sad sometimes.

So I hope no one here just disregards complaints just because there are 'some people' in the world who abuse it.
There's 'some people' in the world who abuse practically anything and everything, but that doesn't make everything in the world a bad idea. If it did then we'd all have plenty of things to complain about. :)

I don't know if you directed that last part to me, but I'll address it anyway. I wrote whine AND blame someone else because often, when something like this happens, they will blame someone else for not getting what they want.
I don't feel there is anything wrong with complaining every now and then, it's healthy to get honeysuckle out and I'll never deny that. But when they WHINE and blame others for what they don't have...THAT is what I have a problem with. Complain yes, vent yes, but don't blame other people.

TheRealCallie said:
I don't know if you directed that last part to me, but I'll address it anyway. I wrote whine AND blame someone else because often, when something like this happens, they will blame someone else for not getting what they want.
I don't feel there is anything wrong with complaining every now and then, it's healthy to get honeysuckle out and I'll never deny that. But when they WHINE and blame others for what they don't have...THAT is what I have a problem with. Complain yes, vent yes, but don't blame other people.

This doesn't make sense. The process of venting and complaining about anything other than the weather etc. involves attributing at least a modicum of blame to others. If you feel unfairly judged the normal response is to blame the people doing the judging, particularly when negative consequences arise from those judgements.

ardour said:
TheRealCallie said:

This doesn't make sense. The process of venting and complaining about anything other than the weather etc. involves attributing at least a modicum of blame to others. If you feel unfairly judged the normal response is to blame the people doing the judging, particularly when negative consequences arise from those judgements.

You can complain about a situation without blaming others....It's actually very easy to do.

TheRealCallie said:
You can complain about a situation without blaming others....It's actually very easy to do.

Not on an issue like this. That's like complaining about racism without blaming the individuals displaying racist attitudes. (No, I'm not equating racism with ugly prejudice, it's just a close at hand example.)

Despicable Me said:
I kind of disagree with you on this one, though. Personally I think this kind of study, to identify the reality of 'the Devil effect', is validation for a lot of people, and gives them a new perspective on how they might be able to deal with their circumstances.

It probably is validation for some people. But I personally think it's a bunch of crap. There's no study that could ever be conducted on this planet that could ever make me think something about people just because the study said so. No doubt it may give a different perspective, but that doesn't lessen the fact that I think it's garbage.

ardour said:
TheRealCallie said:

Not on an issue like this. That's like complaining about racism without blaming the individuals displaying racist attitudes. (No, I'm not equating racism with ugly prejudice, it's just a close at hand example.)

ESPECIALLY on a matter like that. So what, a bunch of prissy, shallow college girls things some guys are ugly. Who the fresia cares??? Not EVERY female will think you are ugly. Beauty is subjective.

TheRealCallie said:
ESPECIALLY on a matter like that. So what, a bunch of prissy, shallow college girls things some guys are ugly. Who the fresia cares??? Not EVERY female will think you are ugly. Beauty is subjective.

Again you ignore the premise of the study – it’s not about merely observing how attractive someone is, dating etc. but making profound character assessments based on that. I’ve been sneered at and called “gross” by women well past their early twenties, just out in public. It’s not a stage everyone grows out of.

ardour said:
TheRealCallie said:

Again you ignore the premise of the study – it’s not about merely observing how attractive someone is, dating etc. but making profound character assessments based on that. I’ve been sneered at and called “gross” by women well past their early twenties, just out in public. It’s not a stage everyone grows out of.

Again you can't READ the **** study! So, I don't really have much choice but to ignore it, now do I?

But as I said, who the fresia cares if someone called you gross. It's irrelevant unless YOU make it relevant.
Do you honestly think no one has every said anything negative about me? So ******* what, let them think what they want, they don't know me or want to know me, so their opinion is worthless.

ardour said:

Profound character assessments from where? 170 random people? That's a joke at best. Why would anyone care what 170 random college people say? We don't know who they are or what they do. They could have picked 170 females who liked to party and hook up with guys themselves based on their looks. Perhaps some people can take something from this little study, but I'm not taking to heart what 170 random people say about faces. They could all say a guy is ugly, and I could look at him and say he's cute or that he looks fine. If more people started forming their own opinions, crap like this probably wouldn't even come into play.

VanillaCreme said:
It probably is validation for some people. But I personally think it's a bunch of crap. There's no study that could ever be conducted on this planet that could ever make me think something about people just because the study said so. No doubt it may give a different perspective, but that doesn't lessen the fact that I think it's garbage.

Well then...

TheRealCallie said:
Do you honestly think no one has every said anything negative about me? So ******* what, let them think what they want, they don't know me or want to know me, so their opinion is worthless.

I love how that kind of stuff can bounce off you. I want to be like that so much. If someone says something negative about me I dwell and stew on it for a long time because it will bother me. You have the right attitude.

Oh, one more thing. I conducted an informal poll that I responded to and once I did that I closed the poll. The result is that 100% of the people who took the time to answer it consider you the greatest. :)

Now if that isn't scientific I don't know what is.

Xpendable said:
VanillaCreme said:

Well then...

Oh for Christ's sake. What the hell are you going to complain about now?

BeyondShy said:

Just an observation. Someone choose not to believe in something just because... like, because she doesn't want to. Maybe she phrased that wrong, I dont know.

"There's no study that could ever be conducted on this planet that could ever make me think something about people just because the study said so."

Then what's the requirement to believe in the study?

Good god, stop finding reasons to complain about what other people do. You realize you are basing all this on a study done on only 170 COLLEGE aged women. Seriously. The people who did this study probably purposely targeted specific women to get exactly the results they wanted. 170 college women is like only .0001% of the mass female college population. This study is laughable and completely pointless in trying to make it seem like it is more than that. A joke.

In the city I live in that number of women make up 0.32% of the population, and only 5.8% of women who fall under college age. That's 5.8% out of 100%, which leaves 94.2% of women who were not involved with this study. This is what you are make such a big deal over. There are a lot more important things to stress over.

Xpendable said:
BeyondShy said:

Just an observation. Someone choose not to believe in something just because... like, because she doesn't want to. Maybe she phrased that wrong, I dont know.

"There's no study that could ever be conducted on this planet that could ever make me think something about people just because the study said so."

Then what's the requirement to believe in the study?

I believe what Nilla is saying is that she will continue to think for HERSELF, not what other people tell her to think....

TheRealCallie said:
I believe what Nilla is saying is that she will continue to think for HERSELF, not what other people tell her to think....

I think that's a misunderstanding. It's not the scientist who says what you should believe, its the evidence they find while experimenting. I'm sure the Catholic Church thought that Galileo want them to think the Earth wasn't the center of the universe, but it wasn't Galileo who decided that; it was the precise mathematics and astronomic observation what gave him his theory. He didn't want to impose a belief, he was just presenting evidence.

quack1s1.jpg

Xpendable said:
TheRealCallie said:

I think that's a misunderstanding. It's not the scientist who say what you should believe, its the evidence they find while experimenting. I'm sure the Catholic Church thought that Galileo want them to think the Earth wasn't the center of the universe, but it wasn't Galileo who decided that; it was the precise mathematics and astronomic observation what gave him his theory. He didn't want to impose a belief, he was just presenting evidence.

LOL, this is hardly evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back