Martial Arts In Lieu Of Traditional "Phys.Ed" For Young Students

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Children should be introduced to as many sports as possible. From there they should be able to pick the one they like best, and focus on that one (possibly coupled with a few 'general' sports). This is ofcourse an ideal scenario, which is hindered by all kinds of economical and financial problems (one being that certain schools are just too small to handle that many sports).

To force everyone to just take martial arts classes, seems rather pointless. We don't all live in e.g. China or South-Korea, and we don't have a traditional, cultural bond with martial arts.

Also, on a personal level, everyone I ever went to school with preferred football in PE. Sure, it was fun to try something new for a while, but all we really wanted to know was how long it would take until we could get back to football ;)

Peter Lorre said:
Children should be introduced to as many sports as possible. From there they should be able to pick the one they like best, and focus on that one (possibly coupled with a few 'general' sports). This is ofcourse an ideal scenario, which is hindered by all kinds of economical and financial problems (one being that certain schools are just too small to handle that many sports).

To force everyone to just take martial arts classes, seems rather pointless. We don't all live in e.g. China or South-Korea, and we don't have a traditional, cultural bond with martial arts.

Also, on a personal level, everyone I ever went to school with preferred football in PE. Sure, it was fun to try something new for a while, but all we really wanted to know was how long it would take until we could get back to football ;)
Although it wasn't in Phys.Ed, I did try out for the high school football team. I got tackled so Goddamn hard I couldn't believe how much of an impact it had on my body! It was then that I realized that I'd do better trying out for the basketball team.

Took karatee classes after school when I was a kid in grade at a local HS.
It was offer as an alternative PE class for HS kids...

I'll kick u in the nutz, swipe your feet, drop elbow your nose and poke your fucken eyes out.
Then the actaul fun begins...I kick it u when your down in your fucken face over and over again...
That's what friends are good for....honey. I'm your superman. :)

I also took tennis after school. If hold the racket just right. I can crack your head open and cuase a hella racket
in your brain :p
Tennis teacher was hella fine..rubbing her big ass titays on my back showing me how to hold it and swing.
Telling a 10 year O kid to keep his eyes on the ball was totally ridiculous when all he can see are tits ,ass, N legs
bouncing and ruuning all over the court.

I was also on the track team. I can out run anyone in the 100 yard dash....run like the wind.

I also played HS football...Linebacker of course...So much anger and wanting to knock people on their ass's.

I had an offthewall (VANS) stakeboard. skooted that baby around everywhere i went and in empty pools.
If I hold this baby just right..I'll knock your fucken teeth out with the cool teflon wheels. U'll be going offthewall.lmao

I didnt play much baseball or join the swim team. Cant do everything or be good at everything.
I wasnt tall enough to be good at basket ball. Wrestling seem weird to me..still homophobia.
Gymnastic was only offer to the girls...

Plenty of scholarships where given out for sports. Serval of my classmates even played in the NFL.
We went undefeated for 4 years straight. Won HS confernece..so to drew recuiters for a while.
Even some of the women played in the women's NBA league.

Our HS also had an excellent music program and instructor. Our HS marching band totally rocks
and won many national competitions. I got into music....
Football and music...kind da HS. 4000 kids jammed pack into it.

I did some BMX for a while....

I was the only asian kid in the whitie's tightie town. It was hella fun.lmao

We didnt even have pong. Watching the fucken dot gose back and forth on the screen was totally awsume :p
Kids and adults now adays are less active in general. Vedio games, surfing the net...ect
Then they wonder why they're fat or have over wieght problems. Get all in a knott if you say anything about it.

LoneKiller said:
Peter Lorre said:

Although it wasn't in Phys.Ed, I did try out for the high school football team. I got tackled so Goddamn hard I couldn't believe how much of an impact it had on my body! It was then that I realized that I'd do better trying out for the basketball team.
I think the football Peter is referring to is what we call soccer in america :p

I went to a pretty small, poor school (it wouldn't seem so by the looks of it but only the building was large; the supplies were limited) and we just had your basic basketball, track team, and backyard sports (capture the flag, flag football, kickball, dodgeball) for PE. One year they introduced tennis briefly. It was fun. The gym teacher wasn't exactly enthusiastic, either. I think someone whose profession is educating children in physical activity should have at least a basic knowledge in most sports - not just being physically active in general. There's nothing stopping a teacher from shaking things up every week with a new sport, then asking the students which sports they enjoyed most. We never did sports like volleyball, ball hockey, or soccer. How much can it possibly cost a school to get a net (or even a makeshift one out of rope) and a volleyball? Sometimes it's just the amount of effort the teacher is willing to put in to engage the students that makes all the difference.

Doubt The Rabbit said:
LoneKiller said:
Peter Lorre said:

I think the football Peter is referring to is what we call soccer in america :p

Oh! lol
I went to a pretty small, poor school (it wouldn't seem so by the looks of it but only the building was large; the supplies were limited) and we just had your basic basketball, track team, and backyard sports (capture the flag, flag football, kickball, dodgeball) for PE. One year they introduced tennis briefly. It was fun. The gym teacher wasn't exactly enthusiastic, either. I think someone whose profession is educating children in physical activity should have at least a basic knowledge in most sports - not just being physically active in general. There's nothing stopping a teacher from shaking things up every week with a new sport, then asking the students which sports they enjoyed most. We never did sports like volleyball, ball hockey, or soccer. How much can it possibly cost a school to get a net (or even a makeshift one out of rope) and a volleyball? Sometimes it's just the amount of effort the teacher is willing to put in to engage the students that makes all the difference.

You have to remember that some people are just not coordinated enough for sports.

I look clumsy playing sports. It's been suspected that I have Aspergers, since I flourish in the arts and don't seem to do well at physical things. I had two different therapists suspect I am an Aspie.

Instead of focusing on Phys. Ed, which is painful for some who aren't good at physical things, why not teach dietary advice to the parents? My mom got me hooked on sugary drinks and fast food, that's how I got overweight, and I am losing weight - not by exercising more, but by cutting out soda and making better dietary choices.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
You have to remember that some people are just not coordinated enough for sports.

Yep, that's me too. It was once suggested when I was in high school but two of the football players that I should try out for the team, I could be their new practice football. Cause of me being short and skinny, light enough and small enough to pick up and throw. That's the closest I ever got to playing on a sports team.

There's nothing wrong with teaching even uncoordinated children how to exercise. It's not just about weight - exercise does good for both mood and physical health for when you get old. Dormant people do not lead an easy life health-wise as they get older. I would even go so far as to suggest low-impact activities such as tai chi and yoga. Believe me, I am the most uncoordinated person you ever wanna meet (I literally trip over my own shoes on a daily basis) and yoga has taught me core strength which has helped my overall posture, balance, and ability to do things such as lift heavy objects.

Dietary habits are important, but so is keeping the the body well-used.

Latest posts

Back