Metal

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

eris

Ive noticed a few metalheads in the "what are you listening to" thread, so I thought we could have a place to discuss the different styles and bands of the greatest genre on earth.

I'm not really a fan of commercial metal, or what you could hear on the radio, but its cool if you do :) There is Death Metal, Nu Metal, Gothic Metal, Christian Metal, Groove Metal, Industrial Metal - the list goes on and on.

What kind of metal do you like ?
Post youtube videos of your favorite songs.

There has always been a place in my heart for Black Metal and Melodic Black Metal, but I am also a fan of Doom Metal and Deathgrind. My favorite metal bands are Burzum, Bathory, Cattle Decapitaion, Bethlehem, Absu, Dimmu Borgir, Ancient, Mayhem, Eyehategod, and Sleep.

Here are some of my favorite songs: These are EXCELLENT examples of Black Metal ... so if you like metal give these a try.

PS: If you really dont like metal that much, skip down to the Burzum I posted. You may be surprised.

Bethlehem -Schuld Uns'res Knoch'rigen Faltpferd (black metal)

[youtube]/v/o3YcCRrgfzY?fs=1&hl=en_US[/youtube]

Cattle Decapitation - Regret and the Grave (deathgrind)

[youtube]/v/k3LXOtI-WFk?fs=1&hl=en_US[/youtube]

Burzum - Dunkelheit ( melodic black metal)

[youtube]/v/luFCBdS5PAs?fs=1&hl=en_US[/youtube]

I prefer aluminum. It has a nice weight-to-strength ratio.

lol

Hmmm I can't think of any particular song, because I'm not much of a metalhead. But some bands I've listened to in the past have been: Soilwork, Gehenna, and Dimmu Borgir.

Badjedidude said:
Dimmu Borgir.

I <3 Dimmu Borgir

Here is something on the "less severe" side

EXCELLENT song

Sleep - Dragonaut

[youtube]</v/zj9IAvv32wE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US[/youtube]

mt favorite band is fear factory. i like how their albums are all about machines and how one of the albums even goes as far as telling a story about man vs intelligent machines with characters. im a sci-fi guy and i love the matrix and the terminator movies so of course i like that. whats funny is they are really the only industrial metal band i really listen to regularly. i like a little death metal but the more growly it is the less i like it. i mean i like the instrumental part of it but im not really into those types of lyrics for the most part. aside from slayer that is. i like metallica a lot too, mostly the older stuff and i actually really liked their newest album death magnetic. if its metal and has an epic feel to it i will probably like it. especially if it has more to it than just the metal. what i mean by that is like fear factory uses random background noises in some of their songs. their are a few "trance-metal" bands that i have found from parts of europe or japan that are metal but then they have techno in the songs to and i really like that combo for some reason. some of the bands are a little too "screamo" for me but i like the instrumental part of the songs enough to listen to it. for me metal has an energy to it that i cant describe why i like it. going to metal concerts is a great experience and a great way to let go of your frustrations for a few hours.

Im into a little heavier honeysuckle than Fear Factory, but I saw them in '00 or '01 at the sno-core tour with a friend. I remember it was in a tiny club and Fear Factorys huge stage show killed the electricity for a few hours :p

eris said:
Im into a little heavier honeysuckle than Fear Factory, but I saw them in '00 or '01 at the sno-core tour with a friend. I remember it was in a tiny club and Fear Factorys huge stage show killed the electricity for a few hours :p

yea i saw them a few months ago for the first time, loved it. hope they come here again.

So subgenres... I guess my favourites are power, progressive, thrash metal and of course the hybrid genres made up of these.

Anyway, here's some song I've found recently. It's from a Japanese band called "X-Japan". I had heard the name of this song some years ago as it appeared in many "Top metal songs" kind of lists. But I never gave it a try due to the bad impression J-rock songs from animes left on me.

Now it's one of my favourite songs ever and I learned my lesson about prejudices:rolleyes:. The song is something like 30 minutes so it's divided into 3 videos.

X Japan - Art of Life
Part 1
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvGGuC2jJt

Part 2
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cJWBoXMhSM

Part 3

i like pretty much everything, but as for metal this is one of my favorite songs from Ozzy (there is obviously deeper and heavier of course) i'll try to find some others later

[youtube]eiW7kraoLVg[/youtube]

eris said:

Note from Brian:

Anyone claiming to enjoy Nu Metal will be hunted down and beaten with a lake trout. A LAKE TROUT!

Thank you,

Brian.

That said.

My tastes in metal center around anything folkish. When Christianity swept over places like Ireland and Scandinavia, the essence of those peoples was basically lost, some elements being irreplaceable and lost forever. Many people of Celtic descent will never really know most of their past and to me that's an atrocity to have lost so much of history. That's a long story, but basically I feel very strongly about the matter. There was a group of people not too long ago hoping to have Iceland de-Christianized by the turn of the century; I would've liked to see that happen.

Anyway, so my five -all time favorite- metal bands, for lyrical content/themes and musical quality/talent/style, are probably Tyr (Progressive Folk), Primordial (Black Folk, oh god that sounds racist, I consider them to have doom influences), Ensiferum, Bathory, and Arkona.

Tyr is uplifting and gives me hope in the lowest of times, same with Ensiferum; and Tyr especially has some flat-out incredible guitar work from their Progressive Metal influences. And Primordial just drips with this fierce theme of vengeance and endless doom, with undertones of regret and outright pain.

Exhibit A:
[youtube]GHvuXdhnieA[/youtube]

His vocals are godlike, I think. It's like you can tell he is genuinely vengeful and not ashamed in the least, and he doesn't need to make an over-the-top music video or try to shock people to prove it. I would love to see them in concert...they do wear some paint and the like but it's really just an accent to the performance.

Exhibit B:
[youtube]9MxFoCQKdPE[/youtube]

Wings of Time comes from a conceptual Tyr album, 'Ragnarok'. It's a musical exploration of the Ragnarok myth with a fair bit of centralization on Loki and his effect on the world, and -to me- applying a fresh visitation of thought to old Norse Pagan perspectives on life and, ultimately, the end. This song is a little slower and mellower than some of the others, but if you listen to the lyrics it's pretty incredible.

The chanting in the chorus is actually continued from the previous track, which was a track dug up from the 60s of four old men chanting an old Faroese ballad about the Danes invading the islands and getting their asses ran back in to the sea :p You can hear the original at the end of the song.

I'm pretty fond of Arch Enemy, too, just to throw some diversity of theme in the list :) I like a lot of different bands but these are where I started and where I always return when nothing else is 'doing it' for me.

I think the reason I like metal as a genre (at least the stuff I listen to) is how raw it all is. This music isn't about dancing at the club or getting drunk and it's not about the rusty ford pickup in your yard or how your wife left you for the bartender. It's a raw expression of everything human that most artists and fans are afraid to touch or talk about. It's about stolen culture, and dark aspects of our human nature. It's about seeking freedom from the elements of modern thought that would enthrall us (Arch Enemy is very heavy on this). Theme aside, it is musically diverse and very 'big', and frequently the songs are quite long; Arkona's masterpiece 'Na Moey Zemle' features a multitude of guest artists and clocks in at like, 15 minutes or so.

Of course there is cheap, candy-store metal that tries to appeal to hipsters and punk types and the like. To me this kind of robs us of one of the few sorts of modern art I really love and gives it to the drooling masses where they shuffle it in with Lady GaGa. I know people are allowed to like whatever they wish to listen to, but I really just wish they would leave this one thing alone, lol.

Also, thanks for making this thread, I was just thinking that we needed one and boom, here one is :D

And props for liking BATHORY! R.I.V. my brother.

Haven't heard Bethlehem before eris, that honeysuckle's pretty heavy. Thanks for sharing. I might have to play it for my church-going roommate when he wakes up tomorrow morning. Haven't listened to much Burzum either, I might have to check them out more.

Some other bands I like:

Summoning, introduced to me by another forum metalhead who no longer posts :(
[youtube]fR3BXqVEF9o[/youtube]

Norther is alright now and then
[youtube]xjEXb5hKRek[/youtube]

And here's some Arkona, interestingly also one of the only metal music videos I like
[youtube]ymmui0mEy1o[/youtube]
(this particular song is about a warrior dying slowly after a battle and praying for the Slavic god of Death to take him)

And yes that's a woman vocalist, she's like a musical priestess and I am under her spell.

^^^ I liked Norther, and i REALLY liked Arkona. I think Im going to DL some Arkona. The idea of Viking Metal is a very interesting concept. I have never heard of that term or listened to that genre before.

Ancient was one of the first black metal bands I listened to. They have a male singer, but the female keyboardist sings in a few songs.

Ancient -The cainian Chronicle - Part II: Lilith's Embrace

[youtube]/v/Cp4ZtZNMlBg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US[/youtube]

Anal Cunt is always good for a laugh.

I was trying to find "I heard you were pregnant so I kicked you in the stomach" but all I got was a few hits for Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers. LOL

Anal Cunt - I Lit Your Baby On Fire

[youtube]</v/D5eFk5x0o44?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US[/youtube]

And of course there is Absu, one of my favorite bands. They are one of the heavier black metal bands.

[youtube]/v/RCSRS__cwzM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US[/youtube]

So subgenres... I guess my favourites are power, progressive, thrash metal and of course the hybrid genres made up of these.

Anyway, here's some song I've found recently. It's from a Japanese band called "X-Japan". I had heard the name of this song some years ago as it appeared in many "Top metal songs" kind of lists. But I never gave it a try due to the bad impression J-rock songs from animes left on me.

Now it's become one of my favourite songs ever and I learned my lesson about prejudices:rolleyes:. The song is something like 30 minutes so it's divided into 3 videos. Here it is if you are interested.

X Japan - Art of Life
Part 1

[youtube]MvGGuC2jJtE[/youtube]

Part 2

[youtube]4cJWBoXMhSM[/youtube]

Part 3

[youtube]605-aAkNn2w[/youtube]

EDIT: Sorry for the videos not appearing in my post but I re-embedded them so they should work fine now.

>Ancient
>MTV logo in the video

At first I was like, "Wow, they played this on MTV?" Then I watched the video and I was like, "Oh, I see." :p

Listening to X Japan, I'll comment on it later tonight probably.

Enslaved was something I listened to a few tracks of early on, but have been listening to again the past week or so:

[youtube]HGs28oh-_w0[/youtube]

Though I must say they are partly responsible for my facepalm reaction to most metal music videos.

So not quite metal related, but do any of us listen to Lustmord at all? I love to turn the lights out and que up some Lustmord on my mp3 player.

PS:

'Viking Metal' is a term frequently used, but a lot of the genre prefers the term 'Folk Metal', from what I've seen.

yeah, Ancient can be kind of lame. Its like a comfort to me, I listened to them when I was too emotional to listen to regular music.

I went to youtube to check out Lustmord, but it kind of reminded me of those spooky sound effects tapes some people play at Halloween. I noticed they do Tool remixes. I really hate Tool. So, yeah, I guess the answer is "no".

Sorry, couldnt get the x japan videos to load. Maybe you forgot to take the www.youtube part out of it. So I went to youtube and listened to "Tears". I think Im going to avoid commenting on the music because I dont want to hurt your feelings, but that guy had ******* awesome hair.

So I posted on most of the black metal I listen to, so Ill post a few things that may not be considered "metal"

[youtube]/v/0ynvK1oKTrc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US'[/youtube]

Deftones - Digital Bath ( not heavy, but again, one of my favorite songs of all time)

[youtube]/v/PgQbHG2v_iw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"[/youtube]

Electric Hellfire Club - I dream of Demons

[youtube]/v/tmZ1MePSJWE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US[/youtube]

Electric Hellfire Club - Charles In Charge ( yes, a cover of the tv theme song with, lets just say, additional lyrics)

[youtube]/v/iXJpf-Of6U8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US[/youtube]

Brian said:
Summoning, introduced to me by another forum metalhead who no longer posts :(

I think that might have been me, possibly under a different username. :)

Either way, Summoning are brilliant! I've listened to them for about 10 years now. I think they were actually the first black metal band I got into.

My favorite song with them:

[youtube]rosj5h3jI2U[/youtube]

"Upon the plain, there rushes forth and high
Shadows at dead end of night and mirrored in the skies

Far, far away, beyond might of day
And there lay the land of the dead of mortal cold decay"

That part blows me away every time. Very powerful!

Anyhow, I was going to post a couple of different songs but most of the YouTube videos I found were of poor quality, so I'll just post one (for now):

[youtube]mYa0QMwlJuA[/youtube]

I love the speed and intensity of their music, as well as the way they weave melodies into it. It's kinda subtle, not overdone with a lot of keyboards and stuff.

Im a fan of Thrash metal mainly Megadeth,Slayer,Overkill and Testament. I Like Thrash beacause of its aggression and heaviness. Besides thrash i also enjoy death metal, progressive metal and classic heavy metal such as Judas Priest, Iron Maiden.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D2Ihi2u35JY?fs=1&amp;hl=sv_SE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

eris said:
Sorry, couldnt get the x japan videos to load. Maybe you forgot to take the www.youtube part out of it. So I went to youtube and listened to "Tears". I think Im going to avoid commenting on the music because I dont want to hurt your feelings, but that guy had ******* awesome hair.

I guess I don't exactly know the method to embed videos to posts in this forum. I was a member in some other forums in the past and I embedded some videos in one of them but the method I used there doesn't work here. Anyway, I edited my post and I believe they should work fine now.

But it would still be great if someone told me how to embed videos using the embed code given under youtube videos.

Garenth said:
I think that might have been me, possibly under a different username. :)

You're back!

...Welcome back :)

How've you been?

But it would still be great if someone told me how to embed videos using the embed code given under youtube videos.

Ok. What you do is take the video url, and erase everything but the code specific to that video, here in bold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbaTur4A1OU.....so basically you only want what's to the right of the '='. Then, you put that between the [youtube] tags:

[ youtube ]YbaTur4A1OU [ / youtube] (without the spaces, obviously)

Y'all oughta listen to Maudlin of the Well, one of the best metal bands out there, and might get you into lucid dreaming and OBEs.

Agalloch are good too.

I'm a fan of Thrash metal mainly such as Metallica(early),Megadeth,Testament,Overkill,Slayer and Testament and Voivod. I like Thrash because of its aggression and energy. Besides Thrash i also enjoy NWOBHM (New wave of british heavy metal), some death metal and black metal such as Opeth, Venom, the Ravenous, Vader.

[youtube]_-60HA3exyo[/youtube]
Megadeth's classic from peace sells...but whos buying

[youtube]9ZRR-MerxIA[/youtube]

[youtube]lKeLUvMWYC8[/youtube]

hope the embedding works

Thank's Brian!