Mmmmmmm mmmmm, **gag**

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naleena

Reaction score
Incase you have never heard there is a very special coffee that goes for around $30 dollars a cup and $600 a pound. It's Kopi Luwak.
"The secret of this delicious blend," enthuses the Indonesia Tourism Promotion Board, "lies in the bean selection, which is performed by a luwak, a species of civet cat endemic to Java. The luwak will eat only the choicest, most perfectly matured beans which it then excretes, partially digested, a few hours later. Plantation workers then retrieve the beans from the ground, ready for immediate roasting."

Ummmm...I wonder who was the first guy that saw a fresh hot civet steamer lying on the ground; looked around at his friends and said,"I don't know about you, but I'm having a cup of that!"

From About.com

The aroma is rich and strong, and the coffee is incredibly full bodied, almost syrupy. It's thick with a hint of chocolate, and lingers on the tongue with a long, clean aftertaste. It's definitely one of the most interesting and unusual cups I've ever had.
Indonesia isn't the sole producer of civet-processed coffee, by the way. In Vietnam, aficionados hanker after the exceedingly rare caphe cut chon ("fox dung coffee," so named because civets resemble foxes to the Vietnamese), which is harvested in precisely the same manner as kopi luwak.
Cream? Sugar? Gas mask?

As you have no doubt surmised, the unique taste and aroma of these coffees are routinely attributed to the fact that the beans have been chemically modified by the acids and enzymes in the animal's digestive tract before they're excreted and harvested. Less frequently observed but more to the point, in my opinion, is a characteristic of all members of the civet family which surely influences the fragrance of the beans: "anal scent glands that secrete a fluid with a musky odor"(American Heritage Dictionary).

I'll take mine with cream, sugar, and a gas mask, please.

Yeah, I heard about it. One must be crazy to drink such a thing! Blehhh!
I can't believe there are actually people who pay so much money on a cup of coffee made from a cat's excrement, Jesus Christ!

Then again, there are people like Bear Grylls who eat undecomposed apples from a bear's honeysuckle and stuff like that. I couldn't do it...

if someone gave me a random cup of coffee and i drank it and then they told me after i had drank some of it that it was this coffee, i would be okay with it. if it tasted good that is. but i dont think i could drink it if i knew that thats where it came from before i started drinking it.

Oh god...I think I'm going to go barf right now...that is just...beyond sick. I'm safe though I'm not a coffee drinker so no one will trick me into drinking it...unlike that shrimp jerky I tried several years ago...that made my mouth water and nipples tingle...LOL

I tried that monkey picked coffee when I was over in Asia, it was pretty tasty and I'm not even a coffee drinker normally. I've heard the cat coffee is pretty good, you just never know till you try it!

But it comes from a cats butt...you never go ass to mouth...ever...never...lol I can't believe I found a practical way to use that line.

I'm sure you'd be more disturbed by the processing of some of the foods we eat in North America than coffee beans farmed in Asia. At least the coffee is organic.

I watch Bones and I saw the chocolate bar episode and I've heard what goes into hot dogs...and yes I still eat those. Except for chocolate, haven't eaten any since that Bones episode with the dead body inside the giant chocolate bar. It's disturbing that a certain amount of insect legs and etc are allowed in our chocolate. I used to work at McDonalds when I was in high school and saw the food from its frozen state, I will never eat a Mc Chicken. LOL Then there are eggs and where they come from...okay I'm not sure what I'm going to eat for supper tonight. ROFL

awww Naleena you're killing me, I have a Starbucks in hand and the thought ack!

Seraphina said:
I'm sure you'd be more disturbed by the processing of some of the foods we eat in North America than coffee beans farmed in Asia. At least the coffee is organic.

this is so true. there are a couple food documentaries that might make people change their mind about what they eat. so much of what we eat has been genetically altered, or has something that has been genetically altered in it. sometimes i feel like im eating science experiments.

Latest posts

Back