Most Inspiring Book You'd Recommend?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freeman888

Reaction score
This is a poll, of sorts.

Of all the uplifting books you have read, which among them--excluding those of a religious/spiritual persuasion--would you recommend to anyone here, that would stir up joy in the reader's heart?

I'll start: "Barnaby" by Crockett Johnson. A wonderful child's book that is also great for adults. A series of cartoons that comprise a novel, it is about a little boy's adventures with his bumbling Fairy Godfather, somewhere in suburban America during WWII. (In fact, I have decided to use this Fairy Godfather a.k.a. "Mr. O'Malley" as my avatar for these forums...his wings are pink!) The book is hard to find these days, and the only way to acquire one is via an online shop such as Amazon.com...and being collectible, may cost a pretty penny or two. (Perhaps you could find it in a public library; though I wouldn't be surprised if listed, it will come up missing.) It is such a lovely novel, drawn in black ink on white paper, quite eloquently done...and the badinage among characters is priceless and endearing! If you want to learn more about Barnaby and the author, as well as view samples of the marvelous illustrations therein, please click here.

I don't remember what it was called but it was about an indian spirit guide. It really was very thought provoking and really made me think.
That's all I remember about it as well. It was a long time ago I read it.
I just remember it changed my out look on life.

Owning & Operating Your George Forman Grill.

Changed my life forever...

Red Badge of Courage, by Stephen Crane.

**** good book. I think every male, aged 12-15, should be forced to read it. :p

Help Yourself

By: Dave Pelzer

A Review of the Book (not by me): Those who have read Dave Pelzer's previous books will be glad to see him take his wisdom to a new level. This book isn't really about the horrors he suffered in one of the worst child abuse cases in the state of California. Rather, it is about the elements of mental survival in difficult situations. He helps readers achieve clarity, direction, and satisfaction with their lives by unveiling the inner mechanisms that can be blocking them. It might sound like this info should come from a psychologist, but Pelzer's advice works admirably. It's like a one-on-one talk with your wisest and most experienced friend. I think a lot of people, especially those who have suffered traumatic or very difficult situations, or those who have met roadblock after roadblock in life, will find this book of tremendous value.

Crime and Punishment.

I think I have a thread from a long time ago about this book....there certainly were a whole bunch of other Dostoevsky fans back then when I made, and I'm willing to bet there are still a few lurking around here still. I read it during the worst time in my life--when I was most isolated and totally hopeless. It didn't change my life--i'm just as isolated and hopeless as ever--but it certainly was the most beautiful book ever written: really one of those books where you think the author wrote it just for you. If you're a loner and feel totally down in the dumps, you should check it out.

An archist said:
Crime and Punishment.

I think I have a thread from a long time ago about this book....there certainly were a whole bunch of other Dostoevsky fans back then when I made, and I'm willing to bet there are still a few lurking around here still. I read it during the worst time in my life--when I was most isolated and totally hopeless. It didn't change my life--i'm just as isolated and hopeless as ever--but it certainly was the most beautiful book ever written: really one of those books where you think the author wrote it just for you. If you're a loner and feel totally down in the dumps, you should check it out.

You should read Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecroft :)

SophiaGrace said:
An archist said:
Crime and Punishment.

You should read Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecroft :)
i already read frankenstein by mary shelly. I'm not too keen on reading another one by a mary with a longer last name...

john bradshaw - homecoming

for a teenager: catcher in the rye

personally i was greatly inspired by Malcom X's Autobiography

If you live in a terraced or semi-detached house this work will probably require a Party Wall agreement with your neighbours. This refers to walls, ceilings or floors which are shared with other properties.
f_1juc_7da_u8yfi.gif
The Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM) has explanatory information for householders which is available free of charge (see contacts).

Latest posts

Back