Music to be lonely to.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PurpleDays

Hey guys, sorry if this post is super old and boring and been discussed a billion times, but...

I am compiling a good ole playlist for times of heartache.
I know it's wallowing and terrible and sad, but sometimes you just have to be sad. It's a fact.

At the moment, I am LOVING Biffy Clyro - God & Satan, as well as John Mayer - Waiting on the World to Change.

Any suggestions?

Also, films.... Requiem for a Dream and Girl; Interrupted both make me SO sad. Like, the old crazies are so MESSED UP, but so LOVED. Ah wants summo dat. ;)

All the love that's in my heart and not used on someone worth it is TOTALLY being sent out to all you lonely people right now. Love you for listening/looking/lamenting/l......oading?

X

There's this song from the movie "Fame" (the original ofcourse) called "Is it ok if I call you mine?". and it has this really soft acoustic sound that really makes me brood. Idk, that's the first song that came to mind when I read this :)

I have a giant list of these songs, at one point with my x these songs made me happy. but when the love is gone they make you sad. Anyways..

Puddle of Mud - Blurry

Oasis - Wonderwall

Plain White T's - hey there delilah
-Hate
-lets pretend

Billy talent - the x

lenny kravits - fly away

rise against - savior

The all-american rejects - gives you hell

If you like these i have much much more for you :). hope i helped have a good one.

I like PJ Harvey when I am lonely or introspective.

Placebo is always in my life... an obsession, and I listened to them while I was alone more times than I can remember.

Anything Morrissey related is usually about lonlieness, so that would be appropriate and beautiful.

I also listen to the blackest metal ever (poorly) recorded, and that also helps.

" On my hill I wait for wind "

Any movie could potentially be about lonlieness (except Mordum), and that, like music, is a matter of personal taste.

You should watch Tideland.

A lonley little schitzophrenic girl who has no one to talk to but doll heads gets stranded in the middle of Nowhere. Her dad dies and rots in the living room and she has all kinds of avdentures. She is not upset about anything at all, ever. She meets very strange people and becomes best friends with a mentally retarded boy and all kinds of strange things like human taxidermy and sleeping in a bead with dead people happen and then....not telling anymore. It soulds weird and it is but it is a charming and beautiful story about a lonley little girl.

PurpleDays said:
Also, films.... Requiem for a Dream and Girl; Interrupted both make me SO sad. Like, the old crazies are so MESSED UP, but so LOVED. Ah wants summo dat. ;)

amost forgot...

Requiem for a Dream is one of my favorite movies :) I read the book as well. Have you seen Last Exit to Brooklyn ? I was written by the same author. They are great movies and books.

and Girl, interrrupted is about borderline personality disorder...so Isaw it a few times.

the ones i can think of off the top of my head:

the unforgiven 1, 2, and 3 by metallica
nothing else matters by metallica
wonderwall by oasis
final exit by fear factory
invisible wounds by fear factory
running up that hill by placebo
bring me to life by evanescence

Everything by the Smiths and the Zombies is really good.
Out of those too I'd probably recommend

"Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" by the Smiths, and

"The Way I Feel Inside" by the Zombies really just rips my heart out every time I hear it.

maddog050 said:
Everything by the Smiths and the Zombies is really good.
Out of those too I'd probably recommend
"Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" by the Smiths, and

I agree about The Smiths. Everything Morrissey touches is gold...and sad :(

I think "Never Had No One Ever" is their saddest

[youtube] /v/ILN6LVN1l4E?fs=1&hl=en_US[/youtube]

When you walk without ease
On these
Streets were you were raised
I had a really bad dream
It lasted 20 years, 7 months, and 27 days
I never, I'm alone, and I
Never, ever oh ... had no one ever

Now I'm outside your house
I'm alone
And I'm outside your house
I hate to intrude ...

Oh, Alone, I'm Alone, I'm Alone, I'm Alone
I'm Alone
I'm Alone
And I never, never ... oh ... had no one ever
I never had no one ever
I never had no, no one ever
Had no one never
Never ... no ...
Oh ...

Uh, challenging..
in my darkest hours i remember a thrill from, randomly (beware, strange tastes)

Bowie it ain't easy (Ziggy stardust album), Billie holiday god bless a child (to absolutely avoid if feeling suicidal) some really terrible yiddish songs but I can't find the titles now, johnny cash without love, let the train blow the whistle, hurt, hung my head, beast in me etc
a good version of the Tennessee Waltz; nina simone nobody's fault but mine, also john renbourn version,
blind willie johnson nobody's fault but mine and the soul of a man, many gospels just throw me down the bottomless bit then bring me up again, even if i m not religious; mahalia jackson and miriam makeeba; if love is a red dress; and Janis, of course, any song. Chet Baker I am through with love, Ella singing Starway to the Stars, screaming jay hawkins I love paris; smokey robinson both up and down shopping and around, in case you need love

and some peace from Penguin Cafe orchestra scherzo and trio, Cash Daddy sang bass, some blues like memphis slim or sophisticated Dave brubeck quartet, john zorn, very cerebral; john renbourn with steve grossman, bach for cello; jim white, robyn hitchcock, marc bolan Get it on ;-)

my 2 cents

what i qualify as "lonely music" might differ from what everyone else is posting. the music i listen to is really depressing for me, and on most lonely days i can't get enough. i need to find even more depressing music to fill the void :/ you should definitely check these few songs out...

disturbed- overburdened
disturbed- remember
system of a down- spiders
system of a down- lonely day
godsmack- i am
drowning pool- tear away
metallica- the unforgiven pt. 3

hope they help!!!

Lately i have been getting into Trance music. I can't get enough of it! It feels as if I'm in a totally different world and all of life's problems are totally irrelevant. Some of it is very heart touching and deeply emotional. Definitely good music for the soul :]

The Smiths - I Know It's Over (especially the version on the live album - Rank)

"If you're so funny
then why are you on your own tonight?
and if you're so clever
then why are you on your own tonight?
if you're so very entertaining
then why are you on your own tonight

The Smiths - Asleep

Sing me to sleep
Sing me to sleep
I'm tired and I
I want to go to bed
Sing me to sleep
Sing me to sleep
And then leave me alone

"Out of Reach" by Karnataka is my number 1 favorite loner song. Rachel Cohen's vocals alone bring tears to my eyes because she's so great ^^

"Going up, coming down
And she counts every day by the number of times
Waking up with the tears still in her eyes"

Radioheaaaaaaaaad. <3 <3 <3 <3

Blew me away when I saw them live. :D

Ta for all the replies guys. You = legends.

SO many songs,
i always retreat into my music when im realy down
some old favorites are

Radiohead-creep

The cure-pictures of you

Black box recorder-child psycology
http://www.vh1.com/video/black-box-recorder/145362/child-psychology.jhtml#artist=509216

Jeremi said:
"Out of Reach" by Karnataka is my number 1 favorite loner song. Rachel Cohen's vocals alone bring tears to my eyes because she's so great ^^

"Going up, coming down
And she counts every day by the number of times
Waking up with the tears still in her eyes"

I saw Karnataka live many years ago.
They toured with All About Eve, one of my favorite bands.
I hadnt heard of them before but they were brilliant,,blew me away.

reading this forum makes me realize iam not alone. as far as music goes im pretty sure for myself listening and writing depressive music makes me feel better sometimes, sometimes not. The master of melancholy is Elliott Smith. Elliott died 8 years ago from stabbing himself in the heart (his girl friend my have done it, never proved).
Melancholic masterpieces:
Elliott Smith - Christen Brothers, Angeles, Rose Parade,Twilight,
he writes about drugs depression, loneliness and anger in a folk beatle-esk way
ALL GOLD in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back