Need some help coping.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh

Reaction score
So here is my situation, I have been out of work for almost 2 months now. It is literally taking a huge toll on my mental and physical health. I have had the worst headache and backpains for like 2 weeks now. People even like to interact with me less now since I am in a permnant bad mood.

I don't have any clue how to cope I keep applying to get a job but ******* nothing. I didn't get 3 jobs now and I am pretty sure I am the most qualified canidate. I know for my last one I was because the person that got the job also goes to school with me and she has worse grades same amount of experince and no letters of recommendation. She probaly just kissed a lot of ass which I don't do well or knew someone which seems to really be ******* me over that I have no networking at all.

I was going to just get a job anywhere instead of in my field but because I got laid off my last job I get an uneployment check. It is only like 75% of my last wage but problem is if I were to get like a job flipping burgers I would be getting less money per month then just doing nothing but doing nothing is kicking my ass. So really I don't know what the fresia to do but I know I need to do something before I kill someone or something.

Josh said:
So here is my situation, I have been out of work for almost 2 months now. It is literally taking a huge toll on my mental and physical health. I have had the worst headache and backpains for like 2 weeks now. People even like to interact with me less now since I am in a permnant bad mood.

I don't have any clue how to cope I keep applying to get a job but ******* nothing. I didn't get 3 jobs now and I am pretty sure I am the most qualified canidate. I know for my last one I was because the person that got the job also goes to school with me and she has worse grades same amount of experince and no letters of recommendation. She probaly just kissed a lot of ass which I don't do well or knew someone which seems to really be ******* me over that I have no networking at all.

I was going to just get a job anywhere instead of in my field but because I got laid off my last job I get an uneployment check. It is only like 75% of my last wage but problem is if I were to get like a job flipping burgers I would be getting less money per month then just doing nothing but doing nothing is kicking my ass. So really I don't know what the fresia to do but I know I need to do something before I kill someone or something.

Bah... having nothing to do sucks.

You just have to keep at it and apply for as many jobs as possible... you'll to get one eventually. I've only gone for a couple of interviews so I can't really give you any tips on that, but maybe someone else here can....

In the mean time you need some hobbies...

Josh said:

Now I know this is going to sound superficial..maybe even a little stupid to you..but...do you smile a lot during your job interviews? Statistics indicate that people that smile and appear open and friendly during a job interview leave a lasting impression..and are the ones most likely to get hired. Which is difficult to do I know..because at the very time you need to appear relaxed..you're probably at your worst with anxiety hoping to land the job. So my advice..for whatever it's worth..is to practice your facial and smiling technique in front of a mirror before your interview. Because.. what you may be doing is sending off the wrong signals to your employer through your facial expressions. Relax..and smile..that may help..

I have always gotten offers when I did not care about the outcome. The jobs I really wanted I did not get for some reason. But I think employers get impressed when you put them on the spot with questions and take a few risks. If you play it too safe in the job interview you might be seen as boring. Getting a job is really about luck and how you stack up compared to the other candidates, not whether or not you're good enough for the job. One time I got an offer for a job that I did not really care for. They offered me a salary which I thought was too low and I was able to raise it by $15,000 in a matter of 5 minutes. So dude, don't sweat it. Getting a job is like getting a girlfriend. They gotta want something in you which they don't have already, and the more you play hard to get the more interested they become (in my experience at least). I don't like the idea of calling every three days and kissing ass. You gotta make the impression that you have too much respect for yourself to do that. If you walk into the interview like you are a CEO they will kiss YOUR ass and you will tell them what salary you're going to get instead of accepting an offer that they give you. I also like what Cosmic said about asking questions. One time an interviewer's first question to me was, "Do you have any questions?" (I was thrown but ended up getting an offer) so you should be prepared for something wacky like that. I would write down your questions word for word before you go into the interview.

Remember pal, you never know when you'll end up landing a job, and if these other guys did not take you, chances are you do not want to work for them anyway.

Well I just got turned down again today through a ******* email. It says after careful consideration I did not meet the qualifications for this job. I just ******* can't see how I don't I read through the qualifications it says high school graduate I have an associates and I am working on further. It wants both state and national licensure which I have a few other things that I have. The only thing I can think of that screwed me over was it said previous experince is perfered. Unless the god **** meaning of perfered has changed then I should still fit the qualifications and I even do have almost a year of previous experince so I don't know what the fresia is up but this honeysuckle is really pissing me off.

I worked my ass off in school doing everything right every job I have ever had I have glowing letters of recommendation. I have done everything right and I still get messed over. Guess thats just the story of my life.

Ok I've been there... with being laid off and getting more in employment insurance cheques than I would make for most jobs around.

I checked your local... have you ever worked at Labor Ready?
http://www.laborready.com/default.aspx
I went to them here in Canada once when I got pissed off at an employer and quit without giving any notice.
The day i walked in the door they had work lined up for me. It wasn't as much as I had been making before, only $12/hour, and it was only for two weeks, but it kept me busy for that time, and I was able to network and get working for the rest of the summer with this crazy spanish guy building garages for $10/hour (under the table... so I got my EI cheques plus some extra cash on the side). If nothing else, it'll keep you busy and because it isn't full time permanent, you keep filing with the goverment till you do find something more permanent. Another thing is to call your EI (or UI) office, or check the website, and tell them you're looking for a job that will give you more than your making on your EI/UI cheque... I don't know with the US, but up here they have employer and job lists ready to go, so you can browse through, pick a job that you're interested in, and send them a resume... usually because these employers get subsidized by the government (government pays part of your wage and they pay the rest) for taking someone off EI/UI, they are eager to take anybody on in your situation. Just some suggestions. Good luck.

Lost in the Oilfield said:
Ok I've been there... with being laid off and getting more in employment insurance cheques than I would make for most jobs around.

I checked your local... have you ever worked at Labor Ready?
http://www.laborready.com/default.aspx
I went to them here in Canada once when I got pissed off at an employer and quit without giving any notice.
The day i walked in the door they had work lined up for me. It wasn't as much as I had been making before, only $12/hour, and it was only for two weeks, but it kept me busy for that time, and I was able to network and get working for the rest of the summer with this crazy spanish guy building garages for $10/hour (under the table... so I got my EI cheques plus some extra cash on the side). If nothing else, it'll keep you busy and because it isn't full time permanent, you keep filing with the goverment till you do find something more permanent. Another thing is to call your EI (or UI) office, or check the website, and tell them you're looking for a job that will give you more than your making on your EI/UI cheque... I don't know with the US, but up here they have employer and job lists ready to go, so you can browse through, pick a job that you're interested in, and send them a resume... usually because these employers get subsidized by the government (government pays part of your wage and they pay the rest) for taking someone off EI/UI, they are eager to take anybody on in your situation. Just some suggestions. Good luck.

Ah labor ready thats like manual labor and I don't really like manual labor at all hehe. I just got my second call back to an interview though so cross your fingers I might get this job it's an hour drive away from my house but so what plus I have been planning on moving up to closer where this job would be so guess not that bad.

Josh said:
Ah labor ready thats like manual labor and I don't really like manual labor at all hehe. I just got my second call back to an interview though so cross your fingers I might get this job it's an hour drive away from my house but so what plus I have been planning on moving up to closer where this job would be so guess not that bad.

Hah, yeah it would be labour XD
Glad to hear you got something more agreeable that came up though.
Best of luck Josh, knock em dead!

Josh said:
Hey good luck!
Hope it went well ;)

Josh,

i agree with Lost in the oilfield you might want to consider working some Temp jobs. They usually pay at least 10 bucks an hour, you can ask for that much and it's work.

Latest posts

Back