Need Some Help With Girl(s)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJLJD

Reaction score
I apologize in advance because I'm about to basically write a novel, but I would appreciate it if I could get some thoughts and opinions.

Just to recap for those that haven't read threads from me before: 21 years old, live at home, commute to college, senior in college, have my old friends i still have the pleasure of associating with but have trouble making new friends, bigger issue to me is never having a girlfriend or any experience with women. that's what this thread is about.

I write this today feeling frustrated, because I don't know what to do, and there is a specific story and instance why.

There's a girl at my school that I have an inkling may be interested in me. She was in one of my classes spring semester of my sophomore year, that's when I first noticed her, but there wasn't much more to that. What this story is really about though is that starting last fall there have been instances where I'd see her around campus, where I'd be walking to class, and she would be too presumably, but she would be walking on the same sidewalk in the opposite direction. And I swear, if I had to guess over the past year or so this has happened a total of 11 or 12 times, and each time its happened she does almost the same exact thing. She looks me right in the eye and gives me a very pleasant smile as we cross paths (several of these times being at about 7:45 in the morning). The last time it happened, a couple of weeks ago, she gave me a smile and then a brief "hello". I said hello back, but that was the end of it.

I don't know if she's just an inherently pleasant, smiley, morning person, or if maybe she is purposely trying to leave an impression. To be honest, I kinda hope its the latter because I think she is really cute. One problem is though that I know so little about her. What I know is: her name, she seems very pleasant and friendly, I remember her seeming pretty smart in the class we had together, and the class he had was a requisite for all Health/Physical Education majors (athletic training, physical therapy, sport management, etc.), meaning she probably likes athletics/sports, just like me.
That's about all I know about her.

Regardless, I think I'd like to approach her and at least talk to her, but I have issues with it. First is the fact that I am so shy and inexperienced. To be honest, I'm just a little afraid. What if I was just misinterpreting everything and I make a fool of myself? The second issue is just as big if not bigger though, I feel like my best bet to succeed would be to at least be prepared in some way... have an idea of what I'm going to say, when I will say it, where I will be, what my situation is, and so on. The only way I'm going to see her is by mere chance though, which means I'm basically flying by the seat of my pants. I don't like it, I feel like that's when I'm at my worst when verbally communicating. I don't think I have another option though.

One last thing to add that somewhat illustrates that idea. I saw her yesterday (kinda what brought my frustration to a head). I was working with a group partner on a project for one of our classes, and we were in the computer lab which is this open area next to a lounge, there's a big doorway where the two areas kinda turn into each other. Well, she was sitting on a table in that walkway with presumably a friend of her's talking. My partner and I were in the middle of our work when I noticed her there, and I thought about getting up and trying to approach/say hello to her, but I felt weird about just getting up, mid-work and talking to her in plain sight of him. I kept glancing over at her though (she was probably there about 15 minutes), and I couldn't tell for sure but I think she might have glanced at me a couple times too (it might have just been in my head). Stuff like that just drives me insane though. I had a chance, but because it wasn't perfect on a silver platter for me, I didn't do anything about it.

I really want to give it a try and at least talk to this girl, but I know I only have so many opportunities left. Really, I'd like to be able to talk to any girl in a similar situation, but with my current state of mind, its not going to happen.
I need help I think.

When I was in college, there was this guy in one of my classes that started saying hi to me. I'd be around campus, sitting at a table and eating for example, and he'd walk by and say hi to me, I'd say hi back, but then he'd just walk away. I was in the cafeteria one time, like the 3rd instance where he did this, and I said hi and then smiled at him unlike previous times and that seemed to make him even more shy like he didn't know what to do with himself and walked away. We were both at the counter getting food and he was so awkward and wouldn't look at me after that. Other times I'd see him around campus and he just looked at me and by chance I ended up looking at him but he didn't say anything, like a time I was in the college library and for some reason he walked by and saw me and looked at me and then kept walking. Then eventually he stopped saying hi to me. The following semester we didn't have any classes together and I never really saw him again. Looking back I kind of wish that I said something else besides hi but he kept catching me off guard and he kept initiating with me but never said anything else!

If this girl is saying hello to you and smiling, just ask her about how her semester and her classes are going when you see her again and the circumstances are right. I think it would be a really easy way to break the ice and it's friendly but not too forward.

I think the next time you see her, try to strike up a convo with her. It can be something as mundane as the weather. You mentioned that she may be a Sports Management/Phys Ed major. Ask her about it. That'll definitely get her talking. Even if you find out later that she's not interested, at least you'll have practice with making small talk. Good luck! I'm rooting for you :)

Dude are you ******* serious. You have this girl obviously wanting to get to know you and you run away like a ******* *****. You know how many ******* losers would give for your opportunity . Stop ******* being a ***** and making excuses. She could be an awesome friend or more. Grow some ******* balls bro.

WolFoxrr said:
Dude are you ******* serious. You have this girl obviously wanting to get to know you and you run away like a ******* *****. You know how many ******* losers would give for your opportunity . Stop ******* being a ***** and making excuses. She could be an awesome friend or more. Grow some ******* balls bro.

:club:

WolFoxrr said:
That's really not the way to bring such a message... because, you know, the English language has a vocabulary that extends beyond all the words that would have to be censored should they be broadcast, and now and then it's not a bad idea to use these non-censored words. Especially when what you're saying might gravely offend somebody

WolFoxrr said:

Oh, please, calm down. Don't insult the guy - you're only making yourself look bad.

Teresa

This post srsly pissed me off. Got a problem with the way I express my feelings ban me. If your not even willing to try.. Well honeysuckle. It's pathetic. Oh make myself look bad. Hahahaha you must have not read my other posts.

This forum is for people with loneliness. This person is baring their soul and pouring out their feelings here. There's a way to be truthfully honest and blunt but still use appropriate language to do it.

WolFoxrr said:
This post srsly pissed me off. Got a problem with the way I express my feelings ban me. If your not even willing to try.. Well honeysuckle. It's pathetic. Oh make myself look bad. Hahahaha you must have not read my other posts.

So the post pissed you off & now you have to piss everyone else off? lol

At least we know you like to share :D ...

some things in life are best left unshared though

Well, sometimes direct and brutal is the right way.

At any rate, try to get to know her better. Nothing will happen if you don't put in any effort; it sounds like an opportunity worth pursuing.

SofiasMami said:
Oh, please, calm down. Don't insult the guy - you're only making yourself look bad.

I doubt this guy cares if he looks bad. His profile clearly states that he's just here because he's bored, and won't be here for long. He's just trying to kill time and entertain himself, and apparently being rude to others is entertainment for him. Best thing to do is ignore him.

*ignore*

Thanks ignoredone. I actually got one of my rl friends out of depression by being blunt. Oh and I tried myself tonight! Had so much fun :)

Kat said:
This forum is for people with loneliness. This person is baring their soul and pouring out their feelings here. There's a way to be truthfully honest and blunt but still use appropriate language to do it.

Sure sweety. I'll cus appropriately next time.

i appreciate those of you who came to my defense from WolF's rudeness.
WolF: you don't phase me with your words. i'm sorry that one simple man can cause you so much grief with his actions, or lackthereof, but i'm just telling my story. if you don't like it, don't read it. its fine.

what i don't like though, is how his words have sidetracked this thread. i'm here to improve myself so that i'm not acting so sheepishly. i appreciate defending me, but i have more pressing issues on my plate than what some rude guy on a message board has to say about me, like getting my mind right so that i can actually approach this girl.

RJLJD said:
what i don't like though, is how his words have sidetracked this thread. i'm here to improve myself so that i'm not acting so sheepishly. i appreciate defending me, but i have more pressing issues on my plate than what some rude guy on a message board has to say about me, like getting my mind right so that i can actually approach this girl.

Right RJ, so let's get this thread back on track!

This is an issue thread and RJLJD is trying to work on something. It would be best to get back to the original topic.

WolFoxrr said:

Look at the big man having a knock at someone from behind a screen! There's a difference between blunt constructive criticism and just being a wanker, you're firmly in the latter territory with this post. Congratulations!

On topic, RJ you sound like you're in the exact same boat as me, down to the smallest details...

Here's what I'm doing with my situation as of last night: I'm just going to treat her like every other girl. This is 99% of the battle, I think.

Once you can do that she will become easier to talk to, once you can talk to her you can get to know her and once you get to know her you can go out with her.

I very much understand the maddening sensation of not "taking" an opportunity. I had it last night, when I had a near-perfect opportunity to sit with the girl but didn't.

I also get how it's easy to start "imagining" glances and stuff too. Think of it this way - do girls who are in a relationship with someone else look at you like that?

If not, you can pretty much be happy right there that she might like you.

Last night when I had a reasonably positive interaction with my girl, I did it by telling myself "She's just a girl, like any other I talk to". It worked a bit actually.

The attraction she feels won't just disappear instantly, so take your time and simply try to ask something like "Hey, how are you doing?". An innocent question like that can be asked almost anywhere without making you feel awkward.

Also, if you know anyone she hangs round with, start to get friendly with them. I'm finding that's making my life a bit easier in my situation, perhaps it can also help in yours?

Drop me a further PM if you have any specific questions on this, I think since I'm in such a similar predicament we can combine thoughts :D

So much hate guys. I thought I was the one in the wrong! Hehe. This loser will never approach this girl with you losers not being real with him.

WolFoxrr said:
So much hate guys.

Don't flatter yourself, I don't think some guy who posts silly comments on a forum is worthy of my "hate".

It's more like weary contempt, perhaps pity. I don't think you're really in a position to label others as "losers" when you spend your life posting inane comments on the web in the hope of getting a reaction. You must really be lacking something, it's a shame.

Latest posts

Back