Never Mind, Could Be Worse.....

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

copperation

Non-Nazis in Germany during Hitler's rule felt lonely and isolated too. Perhaps more so than us, they really did have something to feel sorry about. The Nazis were in their obnoxious element, resistors were occupied with their struggle for liberty and Communist agitators would have been busy causing trouble as in any non-Bolshevik territory. Ordinary people had it worse.

A decent individualistic person of average intelligence and initiative had to live a secret life. On the one hand he had to fall into line with official Party thinking; mouthing the slogans, singing the songs, cheering the cheers and jeering the jeers. Secretly he would have had to watch his words and twist the lessons his life experiences to fit those of the Party line. A brave man kept his children out of the Hitler Youth, particularly when it was mandatory. Secret policemen and nosy neighbours were always on hand to accuse and denounce somebody not overly enthusiastic of the new prosperous life in the People's Community. Camps awaited political opponents and dissidents. Think of the negative aspects and consequences of Political Correctness magnified tenfold. Nobody could speak their minds in company without it being a substantial risk.

Things became worse during the war. To not support the system by refusing to join up or do war work met with total ostracision. Questioning the war or Hitler usually meant death as by now the camps never let people out. Suspicions of war crimes had to be kept secret at all costs and the eyes and ears of the State even extended to the front line, and an outward enthusiasm for the war and the Fuhrer had to kept until the bitter end.

The very worst came during the last months. When even old men and children couldn't keep the Allies away, with their parents and siblings hung for protesting, the Nero Order was issued. Nazi diehards competed with Allied bombers to destroy all the necessities of life for the Germans in the spirit that if the war was lost then they may as well all be dead. Imagine fighting for a regime and for a man which by now detested everything about the ordinary people. Ordinary peaceful people who had always had to keep their opinions to themselves, even when the State took away and killed relatives just for protesting, being introvert, being ill or being deformed.

Things were worse in Stalin's Russia where famine, gulag and death were just as likely for even the most ardent Commie.

In the light of that, I doubt many on here can complain of worse.

As long as You don't tell people what they can and can't do at a forum like this as long as they follow the rules, which on the "can"-side includes ranting and complaining all they want about their lives, comparison might make people understand how good they actually have it. Good point, i agree.

so... basically, it could be worse?

How... enlightening. My problems seem so thin and selfish now.

I'm gonna go starve to death on the streets so I can appreciate true pain.

AngryLoner said:
so... basically, it could be worse?

How... enlightening. My problems seem so thin and selfish now.

I'm gonna go starve to death on the streets so I can appreciate true pain.

Aaaand there's the other point of threads like these...

Copperation, Your first fan here so far; human_condition, have recently pointed out facts of similar purpose as those of Yours, though in a more direct way, which have made a negative input on a crowd big enough to make certain people, including me, a bit unsure whether or not You're actually helping someone with posts like these. If responses like these starts piling up i'm afraid we'll probably will have to go ahead and make these kind of threads a permanent no-no. Personally i admire Your idea, but if the majority doesn't, i think the usual tips with a similar purpose, though in the other way (making people glad for what they have by saying what they actually have, rather than what they could have been forced to live without), like "You have a community who loves You to visit! =)" will have to do.

No offence; i'm just trying to do my job.

Robin said:
As long as You don't tell people what they can and can't do at a forum like this as long as they follow the rules, which on the "can"-side includes ranting and complaining all they want about their lives, comparison might make people understand how good they actually have it. Good point, i agree.

Ranting and complaining all they want isn't actually achieving anything though.

Look I didn't want to come across as a "bady" or insensitive, it's just that a lot of these people could be activley improving their lives, rather becoming more and more involved in an ultimatley meaningless forum.

human_condition said:
Ranting and complaining all they want isn't actually achieving anything though.

Look I didn't want to come across as a "bady" or insensitive, it's just that a lot of these people could be activley improving their lives, rather becoming more and more involved in an ultimatley meaningless forum.

I see your point, and i agree with it to some extent, because some people can come here not to seek advice but sympathy. But I highy doubt this is a meaningless forum... there are:

those that find friends to talk to about anything, participate in various discussions = become more comfortable in socializing (even if it's only a miniscule improvemnt)

those that didn't do something drastic because this community's care & help

those that learn from the experiences of others, espeially during key transitional stages in life.

those that learn to open up about themselves, thus providing them enough strenght to seek help from loved ones or even profesionaly

And even those of which you speak of may become enlightened by threads such as these, and possibly realise the need to take action in improving their life.

PS. props on speaking your mind.... and it's not being insensitive, because what you say does happen to a degree.
And it's good to bring awarness that we really need to start taking action, no matter how hard it is rather than wailing in depression.

human_condition, we're simply different. Believe me, i don't care the slightest about how a person are and always try to treat everyone the same way, and i'm sorry if what i've been writing have felt unnecessarily personal, but i'm just trying to do what my protective instincts tell me to do to take care of the sensitive minds here.

One of my (and most others trying to help's) most actively preached activity to get Your life straight again is to do just what You'd want them to do; actively try to make it better. I still believe that it does help people to write as they do here, no matter how they write, and that this is an important preparation for them to get the courage to get out there and do this that You're talking about. I've talked to numerous people here who, after some time here, actually got that courage and went out there to meet someone they, for example, met in this community.

Another thing is that posts like the one's right here (and the one that You did) doesn't get to these people, because they make the people who feel they have nothing more than this place to rant/talk/etc. even more worthless and in the way. They might feel that You're trying to take away their only joy/redemption.

Honestly, even though i'm not actually allowed to take sides here, which i'm not afraid of doing anyway since i believe my cause is for the best of all, it doesn't really matter what You or i think because if it in any way makes people less active here without, as said, actually help anything in the process, it wouldn't be allright for me to accept that discussions like these go on, from a strictly logical, objective view.

Really, i like that You guys try to improve this place too, but some things just has to stay no matter how infuriating it might be to a few others.

Latest posts

Back