Preventing diabetes

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Satyr

I know this has nothing to do with loneliness, but considering how the number of people in the U.S. and around the world with diabetes has skyrocketed in the past decade, I think it's an important topic. Diabetic complications can lead to depression as well, but that might be obvious.

This is a good article on how to prevent or delay problems. I wasn't sure where to post it, so if it's in the wrong place feel free to move the thing.

Preventing and delaying diabetic complications

I can already predict the what the website says (because all websites say the same thing but in a much more complex and polite way than i will)

PUT DOWN THE **** FORK AND GO FOR A RUN- repeat for the REST OF YOUR LIFE

sometimes i think doctors are insecure about themselves, most things in the world are not complicated but they like to make it so.

eviloreo said:
I can already predict the what the website says (because all websites say the same thing but in a much more complex and polite way than i will)

PUT DOWN THE **** FORK AND GO FOR A RUN- repeat for the REST OF YOUR LIFE

sometimes i think doctors are insecure about themselves, most things in the world are not complicated but they like to make it so.

Not everyone with diabetes is obese....there's a pretty big genetic link there as well. However if you feel like being a dick about it, go right ahead.

A friend of mine's father has only just come out of hospital, after having his foot and part of his leg amputated due to type 2 diabetes. He is currently in constant pain from the trauma of the operation, which was done in three parts... first half of the foot, then the whole foot up to the ankle, and then finally about half way up his shin.

I have seen photos of the stump he has left, and it looks so unbelievably painful. The skin is bruised and red with soreness, and the metal pins closing the skin over the amputation are large.

It could have been prevented, if he had taken it seriously and adjusted his lifestyle as his doctor warned him to do.

Steel said:
A friend of mine's father has only just come out of hospital, after having his foot and part of his leg amputated due to type 2 diabetes. He is currently in constant pain from the trauma of the operation, which was done in three parts... first half of the foot, then the whole foot up to the ankle, and then finally about half way up his shin.

I have seen photos of the stump he has left, and it looks so unbelievably painful. The skin is bruised and red with soreness, and the metal pins closing the skin over the amputation are large.

It could have been prevented, if he had taken it seriously and adjusted his lifestyle as his doctor warned him to do.

Poor fellow.

Satyr said:
... I think it's an important topic. Diabetic complications can lead to depression as well, but that might be obvious.

Preventing and delaying diabetic complications

Yes it is important to raise awareness of. I knew two different people who were seriously ill before going to a doctor and finding out what was going on. Both have permanent damage from it but have it under control theses days.
Prevention would be even better.

I work in the operating theatres at my local hospital, and i have seen first hand how devastating an illness diabetes can be. Last week i witnessed what should have been a simple operation on a 5 year old girl. However, because she had diabetes it affected her chances of survival. Low and behold, we were unable to wake her up from the anaesthetic, even after administring electric shocks to her brain to try and increase her brain signals. I can truely say it was one of the most petrifying experiences of my life, never have i seen a girl as young as that face to face with death, and whose life was in mine and my teams hands.

Eventually after 4 hours we woke the little girl up, but from now on, we are going to be more careful about giving diabetics operations, they'll only have one if its a life or death situation.

So well done Satyr for raising such an important topic on here that could in our lives affect any of us.

Latest posts

Back