Question

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TropicalStarfish

Reaction score
Is it normal for the likes of UPS or Fedex to ASK what's inside a box you are shipping? I know you are supposed to declare certain items that can be hazardous; but, I don't ever remember employees literally asking me, 'what is it.'

I just had a harrowing experience at a UPS store. First they asked what was in it. I told them. Then they said it would be shipped out the next day (morning maybe?). I called in the next day because my tracking number wasn't even in the system yet after about 18 or so hours. So then, I call in to try and settle things, and I'm speaking to, I assume the manager, and he wouldn't confirm my receipt and told me I wasn't even in the system. He didn't ask for my UPC and dodged me when I tried, twice, to tell it to him. So basically, by his information, he couldn't find me in the system and he said the package would go out at end of day. It's understandable the package wouldn't have gone out till next day, because I brought it in late, the other day; I literally saw the UPS pickup driver say bye to the person handling my order, at the time; but, the other location I go to, tracking information updates immediately. By the time I get home, I can add tracking info.

So I'm still worried at this point as I can't give tracking information to a customer. I call back, and without even giving them any info at all, other than, "I called a few minutes ago," the girl puts me on hold, then comes back on and asks, "are you ready?" And I'm thinking, "uh, i guess, for what?" And she starts repeating my tracking number back to me (I hadn't gotten a receipt confirmation prior and was told I wasn't in the system before, so that was a surprise).

So, I finally called back again and just exasperatedly pleaded my case with the woman (not rude, at all, during any of this, mind you, very polite), I was basically begging at this point, how important it is this package gets out on time...

I couldn't get a receipt confirmation (I mean what's the point in having a computer system if you can't look up an order number?)
I was asked what was in the package, and it seems it was common knowledge to next days staff what I had brought in, by that point.

So, from what I know, if you are running a business...
A: if you can't confirm purchases, that's messed up.
B: it doesn't seem you should be in the habit of violating customer privacy if you are in the shipping business (within reason, down the line, they probably x-ray stuff anyway, but that's another thing...) The USPS always asks, "any hazardous materials, batteries, this that and the other, etc.. etc.. we should know about," I know those questions are normal; but, not, "what is it." lol

So, am I crazy, or was that all horse honeysuckle? In my mind, I'm thinking they are in the habit of picking and choosing which packages, 'get lost,' at this point. And the yelp reviews reflect my experience.

Anyway...

I knew that joint was disreputable. I suppose I should have just avoided it... Fortunately things turned out all right in the end, but...

Fuckin' weird. First they can't verify my purchase, then a call back 10 minutes later and a girl i never met before is telling me what was in my package and what my tracking number was?

I'm getting so tired of this messed up world. Why does everyone have to be such dicks all the time... Wow. Just glad it all worked out in the end, fortunately...

Last edited:
Or, just ask if it's to be, or is certified mail. That's the only time they can ask for specifics. Otherwise, it's just plant, mineral, or animal.

Did it, by chance, get sent out of the country? If so, a customs sheet would be required. Those you do have to say what is in the package.
hmm, no, it was not international shipping.

Maybe my memory is poor. I just don't remember ever having to say what's in a package, aside from declaring hazardous stuff they should know about like batteries, etc...

That aside though, I've had trouble with that ups location before, same exact situation; I should have just avoided them.. Their yelp score is pretty low..

If I could pull it off, I think, from now on, when they ask, "what's in the package?" I'm just going to say, "dildos, big box of dildos, 10 of 'em, big ones." lol...
Haha. . . reminds me of a girlfriend I had who sent a package to a friend via Canada Post. When they asked her what was in the package, she honestly replied, “It’s a big purple dildo. . . I call him Mr. Purple.“ 🍆

She was never asked that question again by anyone at that particular post office. 😂🤪

Haha. . . reminds me of a girlfriend I had who sent a package to a friend via Canada Post. When they asked her what was in the package, she honestly replied, “It’s a big purple dildo. . . I call him Mr. Purple.“ 🍆

She was never asked that question again by anyone at that particular post office. 😂🤪
heh :)

Latest posts

Back