Relationship experience = better partner?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think people who start dating "late" sometimes worry about it too much. An adult won't make a lot of the mistakes that teenagers do because of maturity levels. There are advantages to starting your first relationship when you're mature enough to not act stupid: You get to skip all of the lame high school drama.

I agree that it's valuable though. You can learn more than just how to cope with conflict: You learn how to open your heart to someone and trust; how to compromise; how to tell the difference between your partner wanting your help and wanting you to listen; how to share your feelings so they don't build up. And much more. It all amounts to learning how to be a partner to someone.

That doesn't mean having a dating history is required to be a good partner though. How important experience or lack of is depends on the person too. Some people naturally know how to fit in well with a significant other, and know how to communicate with someone they love, so they won't have to learn from experience. Others never learn: No matter how many relationships they've had, they keep making the same mistakes.

I think basic interpersonal skills are important no matter what. You can learn some non-romantic stuff by being around friends. The important relationship stuff isn't that difficult to remember: Respect your significant other, their choices and their feelings. Be supportive and be there for them. Listen to what they have to say, and always be honest about how you feel/what you think. Don't take them for granted. Don't let feelings of jealousy grow, don't be controlling or possessive, don't lie or cheat. Treat them with love, caring and respect, and ask the same in return. I know it sounds easy, but these are some of the most important things about being in a relationship, and some of the things people actually have to learn.

Latest posts

Back