Research - Can you help?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edward W

Reaction score
I realised last night I could use the worldwide contacts available here to do a little research rather than just relying on good old' Google.

So the first two questions I have will be for USA or Canadian citizens ideally.

1 - Re Canada and French speakers
Would it be possible for a French person to pass themselves off as a French Canadian? i.e. pretend to be from there if they spoke English and French and had a French accent? Also, are there any suggested cities a person might claim to be from?

2 - America and Colleges / Universities
a - Typically how long would a degree course last, e.g. Oooh just off the top of my head, a Business studies course? My UK degree was 4 years, but included a year in industry

b - Would the university football season include Decemeber, i.e. are games between colleges played in December?

That is all for now - Thank you for any help!

A bachelor's degree is generally four years an associates is usually two.

Canadian here; I don't think that a Parisian French would "pass off" as French Canadian, as (especially in my province) the reach has a very thick Acadian accent and is mixed with some English. However, it wouldn't matter, especially in Quebec, because as long as you speak French, they are happy.

LonelyLola said:
Canadian here; I don't think that a Parisian French would "pass off" as French Canadian, as (especially in my province) the reach has a very thick Acadian accent and is mixed with some English. However, it wouldn't matter, especially in Quebec, because as long as you speak French, they are happy.

To clarify, the person in question would be fooling an American, passing themselves off as French-Canadian (from Quebec!), since they would still have a French accent, being actually French but not wanting anyone to know that.

Does that make sense? Would it fool/seem reasonable to someone not from Canada/Quebec etc?

Oh. Well then it shouldn't be a problem. As long as the American hasn't lived in Quebec or New Brunswick, all French will probably sound the same. Just look up some popular places in Montreal, (which actually has a very high English population) and it should be fine.

Is it because Americans stereotypically don't like people from France?

Lol. Ahhh, if you are writing and want him to make the Americans seem stupid for believing the fake French Canadian, I would look up the most touristy bars, restaurants and strip clubs. If you are trying to make the fake French Canadian very intelligent and capable of passing himself off, then try looking up the local gems, maybe try the Montreal subreddit on Reddit for some advice.

Latest posts

Back