Sleeping Troubles

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

shells

I think I suffer from something called "Sleep Paralysis". It usually only happens as I am falling asleep, or waking up because I feel like I can't breathe. My body feels like it's immobile, and as it's going on, I am horrified. I will try to move, kick, scream, but I can't. The scariest times is when I can't do any of those things, plus not being able to breathe. It's like I'm drowning in my own bed. I experienced it again last night.

It usually lasts from seconds to a few minutes. While it occurs, I also feel like there is something terrible happening in the room. It's hard to explain. I'd hate to call them hallucinations, but I think that's what they are. It all feels very real. Once it passes, I am choking/gasping for air and I able to move again.

About three years ago, I experienced an episode where I -thought- I had woken up, but I was completely paralyzed. I could have sworn my eyes were open, and I was just staring at the wall, since I was laying on my side. But I couldn't move, which made me want to scream for help, and then I couldn't scream or even turn my head. Then I started hearing crashing noises, and for some reason my mind automatically thought the house was being broken into. Then I felt a "bad presence" in the room with me. A few seconds after, I finally could move and nothing was there. I asked to see anyone else in the house heard anything and they didn't. They thought I was crazy. :(

This was actually a poem I wrote about the incident:
"Wrapped in these blankets, I drift asleep
And within my mind, the horrors creep
A sinister tone tainting my ear
Telling me things I wish not to hear
The voice isn't one, it multiplies
Getting louder, and louder,
They amplify!
What do they want? Why are they here?
They are taking toll upon my fears!
Spindling webs of vile things
My mind running
In full swings!
There is a prescence felt nearby
My body still, completely paralyzed
If only I could turn my head to see
What is lurking after me
A knife chilling touch upon my side
In a panic,
I am unable to scream nor cry
A few moments of silence pass by
Senses rushing back all at once
My eyes snap open, able to see
Nothing there, naturally
And I find myself alone,
Questioning my sanity"

Does anyone else suffer from something similar?

Okay now I m scared.

Edit: lol I was kinda scared to mention but, I've had it before, maybe once or twice, where I will feel like I m in bed, unable to getup, like my body won't respond and I will be like trying to scream for help, but my voice wont come out lol. After sometime I will getup and it will feel like a dream but I dont really think it was a dream, but maybe idk lol. Anyway I m kinda freaked out now. lol

lol!

lolcats_scared01.jpg

:p

shells said:
It usually lasts from seconds to a few minutes. While it occurs, I also feel like there is something terrible happening in the room. It's hard to explain. I'd hate to call them hallucinations, but I think that's what they are. It all feels very real. Once it passes, I am choking/gasping for air and I able to move again.

That doesn't sound pleasant. I don't have any experience with it, but if it continues I'd probably try to see someone about it.

*looks behind*

[youtube]Jeg1th68uWU[/youtube]

zzZOMG!! that cat is so creepy! lol XD

Sleep Paralysis is actually fairly common and has nothing to do with psychology or emotional problems or anything like that...so don't feel like it's weird or a bad sign. It's happened to me a few times. It's just something that happens naturally when your body falls asleep faster than your conscious mind. No biggie...but if you're overly stressed in your daily life it could cause sleep paralysis to occur more often.

It is fairly scary to be immobile but completely conscious. Sometimes it can even feel like there's "someone else in the room" even though you know you're alone. That comes from your conscious mind sensing that your OWN body is there, but unable to contact it consciously. Pretty weird stuff.

I found that whenever that happens I can usually wake myself up by thinking, "Wake up! Wake up! Your body is asleep, wake it up! Wake it up!"...it helps to remind myself that it's natural and that I will either be asleep or fully awake again in a few minutes...and when I wake up, I turn over and go to sleep again! :p:D

----Steve

Twitchy said:
That doesn't sound pleasant. I don't have any experience with it, but if it continues I'd probably try to see someone about it.

It is scary. The literature I have read online says it's normal, and at least everyone has it at least once in their lifetime. Which is why I was wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with it.

Badjedidude said:

Sleep Paralysis is actually fairly common and has nothing to do with psychology or emotional problems or anything like that...so don't feel like it's weird or a bad sign. It's happened to me a few times. It's just something that happens naturally when your body falls asleep faster than your conscious mind. No biggie...but if you're overly stressed in your daily life it could cause sleep paralysis to occur more often.

It is fairly scary to be immobile but completely conscious. Sometimes it can even feel like there's "someone else in the room" even though you know you're alone. That comes from your conscious mind sensing that your OWN body is there, but unable to contact it consciously. Pretty weird stuff.

I found that whenever that happens I can usually wake myself up by thinking, "Wake up! Wake up! Your body is asleep, wake it up! Wake it up!"...it helps to remind myself that it's natural and that I will either be asleep or fully awake again in a few minutes...and when I wake up, I turn over and go to sleep again! :p:D

----Steve
Thats a relief :p

Badjedidude said:

----Steve

That makes me feel a bit better and not alone that someone else has dealt with it.

Not being able to move isn't too bad. It's freaky, yeah...But, the not being able to breathe part is what kinda gets to me.
And the breathing part has only been happening recently. No idea why.

Shells, I would recommend seeing a doctor about the breathing difficulties; it's possible you have sleep apnea.

Yeah, not breathing might be bad...are you sure that you can't breath or that you just can't PERCIEVE if you are breathing or not?

Maybe you are breathing but just can't register in your mind that you are.

That might be a reason to see the doc, but yeah...other than the breathing difficulties, don't worry about the sleep paralysis too much.

----Steve

I have panic attacks... And that's sort of what it feels like. My heart beats really fast when I get the paralysis episodes (like a fluttery feeling), and I can't breathe. Or I just think I can't breathe... I haven't been able to differentiate whether my mind is playing tricks on me or if there really is something wrong.

The difference is, when I get panic attacks, I usually hyperventilate. In this case, once I can start moving - I start breathing again and my heart chills out.

shells said:
I have panic attacks... And that's sort of what it feels like. My heart beats really fast when I get the paralysis episodes (like a fluttery feeling), and I can't breathe. Or I just think I can't breathe... I haven't been able to differentiate whether my mind is playing tricks on me or if there really is something wrong.

There might be an anxiety connection in there somewhere...or a radioactive spider bite. Check for web shooters. :/

Not to sound like a broken record, but a doctor could probably tell you what's up. Anything said here is just conjecture.

*hug* I've actually never experienced it, which is probably a good thing. I'm sorry you do and I wish I knew more about it to help :/

@Twitchy, you're probably right. I might bring it up with my counselor that I will be seeing next week... See what they might have to say.

I was just kinda curious if anyone else had them.

@Sophia, It's okay. *hug* =)

Latest posts

Back