Smarter Than Others

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some guy (a customer) the other day just keep saying "Yep, I know" over and over after every fourth or fifth word out of my mouth. Finally I stopped and said "You know what, Sir? What do you know?" He just responded with "I know." I replied with "Wait, you know what I am going to say even before I say it?" He said "Yes, I know about that." I said "Then, by all means, Sir, tell me what it is you know which also happens to be what it is I am trying to say because I really could use a break."

^ Verbatim, not even kidding ^

I stepped back, crossed my legs casually, leaned against the counter, folder one arm over the other and stood their in silence. He stood there in silence too.

After a few moments of deliciously awkward silence I said "You see, Sir. You don't know. Do you?"

You know, there's this thing called...a thing?...which means that the person isn't actually saying what they're saying. I'm being so clear on what I mean, aren't I.

It's linguistics. But I forget the name. :( It's a funny part of language.

Anyways an example of it would be...

If i were to ask you How Are You?

I wouldn't literally want to know how you were, it's instead part of a greeting. (I do actually ask this question because I want to know how people are, but most people don't mean it when they ask you that.)

I think "I know" could be like that too. Like he was just following along with what you were saying, rather than actually meaning he KNEW what you were saying.

Im guessing the "yeah i know" were just verbal queues to show he was listening, or it might not have been.

Maybe not the way i would have dealt with the situation but fair play man :)

Some people are using their own private lexicon, so his "I know," may not be your "I know." I guess some people try to see accord, whie all others can see is conflict.

I think this is common behavior from my experience. I don't know of the level your expressing but have been annoyed many times by egos. I lose interest in conversation quickly and step away. I don't stand or sit still for it very often

Good theories. But no. The guy was being a know-it-all *********. I guess I couldn't convey his tone and mannerisms in text. Not that I'm concerned what anybody's opinion on my handling it is. I was entertained just writing it and reading it. I'm in over 1,500 homes per year and have been dealing with clients on a one-on-one basis in those homes for over a decade with stunning success in my chosen field. I do find it funny that no one else finds it funny. But really don't care as I didn't share the story to gain external validation.

Yes. Yes. We know you are totally unconcerned about our opinions in your problem-thread which differ from yours.

Latest posts

Back