Sorry to all cashiers/baristas

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tealeaf

Reaction score
For subjecting you to my forced company today on multiple occasions. I do it because you're getting paid to suck it up and smile for a couple of minutes, and apparently that's the only kind of company I can rely on to not run away from me. I leave tips in the jar, too.

Thanks to the ones who humored me by talking back and not fiddling with the espresso machines.

Tealeaf said:
For subjecting you to my forced company today on multiple occasions. I do it because you're getting paid to suck it up and smile for a couple of minutes, and apparently that's the only kind of company I can rely on to not run away from me. I leave tips in the jar, too.

Thanks to the ones who humored me by talking back and not fiddling with the espresso machines.

In the costa or whatever in the local Tesco here I saw the most extraordinary young barista. A student I guess. He was friendly and personable, polite and professional, humble and funny and made you feel good that you gave him a small mortgage for a vat of brown piss that was so hot the atoms were beginning to fission.

I thought “If I had that business I always dreamed of, no check would be too big to get him in the company”.

How does someone like that end up in a costa?

That is what is wrong with the world.

Tealeaf said:

No one is running away from you! Sheesh.

Batman55 said:
Tealeaf said:

No one is running away from you! Sheesh.

Despite knowing nothing about my situation whatsoever but occasional snippets posted on this forum, you manage to be astonishingly helpful and encouraging. How do you do it?

Tealeaf said:
Despite knowing nothing about my situation whatsoever but occasional snippets posted on this forum, you manage to be astonishingly helpful and encouraging. How do you do it?

It's a gift from up above.

All kidding aside, I do believe in random positive encouragement sometimes.

Tealeaf said:

Tealeaf, I've worked in customer service and trust me--chances are, the benefit went both ways for at least one of them. Bits of chatter are what make the day less dreary, especially for those who are less introverted than us! Nothing is worse than a full day of head-down, no-talking drones who are there for just coffee and nothing else.

Tealeaf said:

As a former retail bookseller, it was those moments, where customers would joke around with me, ask me about my day, and just be pleasant with me, that are part of the reason I look back at my retail experiences fondly.

Retail brought me out of my shell since I was forced to face people and interact, and that helps when sometimes I didn't have the nerve to do it otherwise. After a while, I lost all anxiety about talking to strangers about their day. Working retail was great for me.

So, Tealeaf, thank YOU for acknowledging the retail workers and baristas as human beings. It probably means more to them than you realize.

I work as a bartender and one of my most loved moments is when a guy comes in the bar, alone and sits down (usually scared and uncomftrable) among all the "i so ******* happy" and loud people... i always try and dedicate as much time as i can to talk to him and just ask him about himself, to make him feel good about himself. most of the time i dont even charge him on a drink (only 1 drink if he had several =|, dont want to lose my job...). And when he leaves i say to him "Its on the house buddy,youre a good man/woman, make sure to come again" even if that cheap ******* didnt gave me a tip.

Tealeaf said:
Thanks... I suppose I might not be the only lonesome one around.

You know, you're one of the people on ALL I'd be intensely curious to meet in real life. You say that you have an antipeople repellent emanating from you. I want to see this in action. o_o

And, besides that, you are very interesting as as person I think.
You probably come off different in real life than on here, and that's pretty interesting to me.

You're mysterious, in a good way.

SophiaGrace said:
Tealeaf said:
Thanks... I suppose I might not be the only lonesome one around.

You know, you're one of the people on ALL I'd be intensely curious to meet in real life. You say that you have an antipeople repellent emanating from you. I want to see this in action. o_o

And, besides that, you are very interesting as as person I think.
You probably come off different in real life than on here, and that's pretty interesting to me.

You're mysterious, in a good way.

Regardless of what I sound like on here, I do have a tiny woman's voice.

I've actually gotten up the courage to ask multiple people I've had Skype calls with if they think there's anything unusual about the way I talk, and repeatedly heard that I seem fine - assuming they're not lying to spare my feelings. That counts out my voice, and being one of those unpleasant, selfish conversationalists that many like to say is the reason for people having a lack of success socially. I guess that leaves my appearance and my mannerisms, or that intangible draw that some are born blessed with and others may never get a taste of.

Latest posts

Back