Standing at his own funeral.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DayvanCowboy

I'm speechless.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26290833/?GT1=43001

Dead man stands throughout 3-day wake
Family fulfills Puerto Rican's wish by propping up his body in living room
080819-wake-hmed-840a.hmedium.jpg

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - A Puerto Rican man has been granted his wish to remain standing — even in death.

A funeral home used a special embalming treatment to keep the corpse of 24-year-old Angel Pantoja Medina standing upright for his three-day wake.

Dressed in a Yankees baseball cap and sunglasses, Pantoja was mourned by relatives while propped upright in his mother's living room.

His brother Carlos told the El Nuevo Dia newspaper the victim had long said he wanted to be upright for his own wake: "He wanted to be happy, standing."

The owner of the Marin Funeral Home, Damaris Marin, told The Associated Press the mother asked him to fulfill her dead son's last wish.

Pantoja was found dead Friday underneath a bridge in San Juan and buried Monday. Police are investigating.

dead1.jpg

I guess i am not to used to things being done that way. I am not quite sure why i see something wrong with that. Maybe just set in my ways. Don't really know if wakes and funerals are a time to come up with novelties.

That is a little odd, but I guess it is good that his family followed through with his wishes.

wahhhh! man that is freaking creepy!

why?! i mean what does that achieve how does that why?!

gawd that is creepy

uhsdfgupsero[

creepy

I thought at first, okay that is a little weird but I can see that he might want to stand there for whatever reason, but then I saw the picture of the guy kissing the dead body, now that's just creepy.....

Antihero said:
That is a little odd, but I guess it is good that his family followed through with his wishes.

That's what I thought.

NeverMore said:
I thought at first, okay that is a little weird but I can see that he might want to stand there for whatever reason, but then I saw the picture of the guy kissing the dead body, now that's just creepy.....

To the best of my knowledge it is I think something a lot off ppl do. Like elderly ppl do when they wake one morning to fined there other half died in the night. They kiss them good bye. I think the guy is he's brother so I can see why he would do that.

I have to say he dose look well to say he's dead. He looks healthier then a lot of the living.

That's pretty dope.

It seems like a pretty simple last wish and people to abide by it.

I mean from an outsider's view how odd is putting someone in a box and burying them?

There are cultures around who would eat their dead.

Different strokes for different folks.

I doubt he requested it. He's 24 years old- do you really think he made any arrangments for his death, let alone something as crazy as that? He was found dead underneath a bridge; if the death was expected, he wouldn't have been found under a bridge.

Let's face it: this is a sick family that took a page from the book of Norman Bates.

zraskolnikov said:
I doubt he requested it. He's 24 years old- do you really think he made any arrangments for his death, let alone something as crazy as that? He was found dead underneath a bridge; if the death was expected, he wouldn't have been found under a bridge.

Let's face it: this is a sick family that took a page from the book of Norman Bates.

I'm 22 and I've already made requests.

It's sad what people will do for thier loved ones. The only thing they had power to do in that situation was to grant him his last wish. I hope it helped them in some way. Families have a hard time when they lose control over what happens to someone they love. I'm not quite sure why it got into the press.

I posted this because its an odd way to have someone's funeral. Not as odd as this though....
funeral_in_car_bling.jpg

I'm from Puerto Rico, so I remember this case more clearly. It's something unusual, but from what I could gather from the news was that this guy was in the drug world. It seems as if he knew he was going to get murdered soon, so he made the request.

I agree that it's odd / weird, but then again who are we as outsiders of the family to condemn how this man wanted to be in death?

You never know, maybe he knew that death was coming soon or people were after him or something. I think it's good of the family to respect his wishes. :)

It would certainly be a conversation starter at dinner parties.

Latest posts

Back