The Disturbing Deep

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Twitchy

Have you eaten lunch? Dinner? That was probably a mistake.

I thought I'd provide a small window into some of the unusual horrors that lurk beneath the waters of our little blue planet. I enjoy keeping fish (I currently have 17) so to me, these creatures are beautiful in their own unsettling ways. I realize I may be alone in my appreciation and apologize for any nightmares that may occur.

Mantis Shrimp

Technically not shrimp or mantids, but for lack of a better term they became "Mantis Shrimp". They usually reach 12 inches (30cm) in length. They are marine creatures and can be kept in large saltwater aquariums, however they have EXTREMELY powerful claws that have been known to actually punch through the glass when pissed off.

260px-Mantis_shrimp_from_front.jpg

Hi!

Blobfish

Blobfish are composed of a gelatinous flesh that is lower in density than water. As a result, they have practically no internal muscle and simply eat by waiting for edible goodies to swim by.

blobfish.jpg

Kiss me!

Blue Ringed Octopus

Despite the fact that this octopus is only about the size of a golf ball, it's venom is potent enough to kill a human being within minutes...and guess what? There is NO antidote to the venom! What's even worse is that it normally looks brown in coloration. You won't see the prominent blue rings until it's attacking your face.

octopus3.jpg

ooooh! pretty! AAAAAHHH!! OHMYGAWD!!

Ogrefish (Fangtooth)

Pelagic fangtooths are among the deepest living fish found, some discovered at depths of 16,400 feet (5,000 meters). Despite their abnormally long "fangs", smaller specimens live primarily on zooplankton. Large, deep-living specimens have been known to eat squid and other fish.

Deepsea-Fangtooth_J01-face_closeup.jpg

Coelocanth

These fish aren't so unusual in appearance. What's cool however, is that up until 1938 when some bumbling fisherman caught one, we thought they'd been extinct for 65 million years. Proof positive that we still have no **** idea what's going on in the deepest places of the Earth.

Latimeria_chalumnae01.jpg

sources -

Real Life Sea Monsters
Bizarre Creatures
Dinofish

Twitchy said:
Coelocanth

These fish aren't so unusual in appearance. What's cool however, is that up until 1938 when some bumbling fisherman caught one, we thought they'd been extinct for 65 million years. Proof positive that we still have no **** idea what's going on in the deepest places of the Earth.

That reminds me of the Scholastic book i read way back when.

34t5q2r.jpg

EDited cuz i kant spelk

that second picture just CANT be real. It reminds me of the classic "Killroy was here" cartoon o_O

SophiaGrace said:
that second picture just CANT be real. It reminds me of the classic "Killroy was here" cartoon o_O

They really do look like that. I believe they are Australian. They also do look like Kilroy.

hey neat thread twitichy

interesting, unusal and educational

thanks for sharing this little bit of knowledge

:)

Now i have Spare's giant pillbugs running around eating the Doritos.

LastSnack.jpg

Minus said:
Now i have Spare's giant pillbugs running around eating the Doritos.

LastSnack.jpg

It's like an old B-horror movie:

INVASION OF THE GIANT PILLBUGS!

Watch in horror as they...
SIT ON OIL DRUMS!
REST HARMLESSLY IN SOME GUYS HANDS!
and EAT ALL THE DORITOS!!!

Minus said:
That reminds me of the Scholastic book i read way back when.

34t5q2r.jpg

EDited cuz i kant spelk

I think we had something similar.

Now if someone will find a living T-Rex, I will giggle like a tiny schoolgirl.

Latest posts

Back