The weather.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condemnedsoul666

Reaction score
Does anyone else seem more depressed when the weather is all gloomy than when it's not?
For example, today is sunny (in scotland!?!) and was actually in an extremely good mood and even went out for a couple of hours, yet a lot of the time it's not sunny,rainy and just downright miserable and i feel bored and lonely and even sometimes depressed,in canada the weather was almost always good and i felt good even if it did rain it was either a sun shower or a total thunderstorm,both of which are not depressing.

Twilight Sky said:
I'm the opposite. When it rains I feel better.

Everyone has their preferences :p
The idea is still the same, the weather seems to affect your emotion, however minor it may do so, it still does.

Yeah, I have like that, mood is depending on the weather. When it's raining I'm sad, when it's sunny I'm also happier.

Sun in Scotland? It's the end of the world as we know it.

On a side note: weather effect mood swings differently, but it definitely has a lot to do how we feel throughout the day.
In Scandinavian countries where the weather is cold and the sun is nowhere to be seen people always feel depressed.
One of the greatest movie directors of all time, Ingmar Bergman, made a lot of movies based on that thematic.

I knew it wasn't just me! :)
The weather is probably gonna be miserable for a while here as punishment, but i'll be gone for ten days so XD and all those happy faces

rosebud said:
In Scandinavian countries where the weather is cold and the sun is nowhere to be seen people always feel depressed.

I know that, it's so true! I live in the Northern country.

When it's dark and cold, everybody are feeling down... :/

If it stays all cloudy and gloomy for more then 2 days I get sort of bummed out. But sometimes if we've had a lot of sun then I like a cool rainy day. So, you're not alone. :)

I tend to suffer from seasonal depression. Here in Ontario, Canada, the winters can be very long, stretching out over almost half the year. The dark, dingy, dull, lifeless, colourless surroundings can be very depressing. Other than that I tend to be ok. Even in the rainy weather of spring and summer (which I tend to really like), I feel happy. It's the winter months that get to me.

I lived in ontario for 12 years and as far as i remember i never found the winters depressing, i take it you live in the northern half?

condemnedsoul666 said:
Does anyone else seem more depressed when the weather is all gloomy than when it's not?
For example, today is sunny (in scotland!?!) and was actually in an extremely good mood and even went out for a couple of hours, yet a lot of the time it's not sunny,rainy and just downright miserable and i feel bored and lonely and even sometimes depressed,in canada the weather was almost always good and i felt good even if it did rain it was either a sun shower or a total thunderstorm,both of which are not depressing.

Have you tried a light box? They are about £50 from boots and they simulate daylight. If you sit in front of it for an hour or two it cheers you up. Scientifically proven and everything! I’m getting one because I get the right miseries when the weather goes darker. When it starts getting dark in the afternoon that really sends me downhill.

But yeh, what your feeling is called “Seasonal Affective Disorder” (or just “SAD”).

I love when the weather is gloomy. Black clouds and warm wind...makes me feel closer to nature. Not to say that I don't like clear and warm weather either but gloomy weather has a special place in my heart, like nature is frustrated and it isn't sure of what to do.

It depends on my mood whether or not I enjoy dark weather. I do absolutely love it in the winter, when it's cold, but there's no snow yet.. it's such an dark but great feeling when all the trees have lost their leaves, except for the pines, and it's gray out, but there's no snow to be seen. I also love the springtime when it's warm but not too hot, with a nice breeze, and the trees have all their leaves... so beautiful.

Summer is the worst time of the year for me , I hate sun and high temperature, I don't know what iritates me more - the heat or the fact that most of other people are having fun somewhere in the park enjoying themselves very much and I have to sit all alone in my room, because i don't have a girlfrield or real friends... ahh it sucks, well , but i am i human being, it's normal to be jealous. Also, when it's raining I feel some kind of freshness in the air.

I love walking in the rain... and I love taking pictures of storms, so when it's gloomy out, I feel better. Something about lightning is exciting to me.

Yeah I reckon I get more bummed when it's overcast/raining. It's been pretty much cloudy or overcast for 9 months or so in Melbourne, unusual for the summer, although we have just come out of a drought, and it's just followed on into winter now. We've probably had 4 weeks of real sunshine in that time, and 2 of them just went, which is unusual for winter. We don't often get real storms with lightning and stuff, it's just a greyness over everything, and although Melbourne looks its best in the gloom (imo anyway) I still love/need the sunshine. I work outdoors a lot too, so being cold and wet all the time really sucks

Latest posts

Back